Star Wars: Battlefront new footage

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, June 15, 2015, 05:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Right, but the dedicated server news seems to indicate that the above is not the case.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

I need to brush up on the semantics here - surely all AAA games have dedicated servers, if it's not dedicated does that imply it's also running as game server for something else at the same time?

Yskonyn

At first I mistook 'dedicated' for meaning a dedicated server application people could install on their machine.

But in this case it merely means that there is no direct multiplayer hosting in the game and everyone logs into a dedicated server run by EA (or sponsored hosts).
The system we had with Battlefield seems to be gone for SW Battlefront and instead of choosing a server you want to play on, there will be an automatic matchmaking system.

As long as this will include parties with friends I have no issue with it. If not, it will be a no-go.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Swatter

I would never buy the game in the first place, but even fans of this type of game must look real hard at what options the game will provide. If there is only a thin single player layer and the multiplayer layer is restricted to EA hosted servers, then the life cycle of your purchase could be relatively short.

EA has no qualms about shutting down online services on older titles. If the game is completely dependent on EA server support, they could shut it down (and thus destroy the game) at any time they felt it to their advantage. I don't think its evil or devious, its just business- Lord Business!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Swatter on September 22, 2015, 11:06:26 AM
I would never buy the game in the first place, but even fans of this type of game must look real hard at what options the game will provide. If there is only a thin single player layer and the multiplayer layer is restricted to EA hosted servers, then the life cycle of your purchase could be relatively short.

EA has no qualms about shutting down online services on older titles. If the game is completely dependent on EA server support, they could shut it down (and thus destroy the game) at any time they felt it to their advantage. I don't think its evil or devious, its just business- Lord Business!

This game is going to make them millions. I'm not concerned about the servers shutting down anytime soon.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Bison

I almost bought a preorder at Best Buy this weekend, but I held out knowing I still have 2 months to go.

Grim.Reaper

Sounds like the beta will be public on October 17 and available to everyone whether you purchase or not...therefore I'll give it a try then and decide whether to order...although anything Star Wars is usually an automatic buy for me.

bbmike

Steam says I have Star Wars: Battlefront 2. I'll stick to that.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Looks like beta will be from October 8 to the 12th

undercovergeek

and confirmation theyve got dedicated servers, but not a server browser yet

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 28, 2015, 02:23:07 AM
'Yet' as in it will come?

I don't know - maybe they'll bow to enough pressure

Grim.Reaper

Today the free beta comes out.....hope it turns out to be fun....typically anything Star Wars is instant buy for me so really hoping not disappointed.

Toonces

Well I know what's going to kill my weekend now!   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Arctic Blast

Pre-load for the beta is active now, but the beta itself doesn't unlock until...looks like Thursday, according to the counter.

And yes, it's downloading as I type this.  ;D