Why not start a youtube channel ?

Started by Pete Dero, July 08, 2015, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pete Dero

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/youtuber-pewdiepie-opens-up-about-his-73-million-earnings-from-playing-video-games-10374402.html

This week it was reported that 25-year-old Felix Kjellberg, known online as PewDiePie, has made $7.4 million by filming himself playing video games for his Youtube channel.

I knew they made money on youtube but never could have guessed it was this much.

bayonetbrant

he's an outlier.  There's 239458720349857230498572 other youtube channels not making shit.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 08, 2015, 11:04:20 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/youtuber-pewdiepie-opens-up-about-his-73-million-earnings-from-playing-video-games-10374402.html

This week it was reported that 25-year-old Felix Kjellberg, known online as PewDiePie, has made $7.4 million by filming himself playing video games for his Youtube channel.

I knew they made money on youtube but never could have guessed it was this much.

Some of them make a living doing it, with a huge amount of subscribers and the commercial advertising cranked to the hilt. 

I don't mind having to watch a few seconds at the beginning of a vid and/or a small pop-up ad in the middle, but I've seen some with a full-on ad popping up every few minutes, directly breaking up the vid multiple times.  While that person may have had something I was interested in watching, the advert proliferation is just too much in that case and I go find something else.  Everyone has limits!


Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 08, 2015, 01:59:27 PM
he's an outlier.  There's 239458720349857230498572 other youtube channels not making shit.

Exactly this. Only the few who got in early and built up a big audience before there were thousands of competitors are really making bank when it comes to videos. The others make a bit, but nothing approaching millions.

BanzaiCat

PewDiePie is a huge, annoying tool. I guess the Internet is full of 7.4 million dollars worth of huge, annoying tools too for that idiot to be a millionaire now.

If we did something like this on an official basis, we'd need some kind of schtick to stand out from the other billion nerdy schlebs plying their zit-pus-encrusted fingers on buttons and counters.

jomni

I don't even know him. So I don't care.

Bison

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 08, 2015, 02:57:22 PM
PewDiePie is a huge, annoying tool. I guess the Internet is full of 7.4 million dollars worth of huge, annoying tools too for that idiot to be a millionaire now.

If we did something like this on an official basis, we'd need some kind of schtick to stand out from the other billion nerdy schlebs plying their zit-pus-encrusted fingers on buttons and counters.

I attempted to watch one of his videos once and I couldn't make it through the first 30 seconds.

BanzaiCat

His 'Let's Play' of Alien: Isolation was the first one of that game that I tried to watch. I think I made it two minutes before I couldn't stand his commentary any more. Finally found one Let's Play of that game with zero commentary and it was wonderful.

One thing I don't get are these YouTubers needing to put themselves into their videos...PewDieTool does that as do many others. I don't want to see your ugly ass...I wouldn't want to see MY ugly ass...so why do they do that? You're covering up valuable screen real estate with your baldingness and 80s searchlight-sized glasses and I really don't need to see your acne scars in glorious 1080p.

Huw the Poo

I'm sensing disapproval from Banzai_Cat.

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 09, 2015, 12:27:27 PM
I'm sensing disapproval from Banzai_Cat.

What makes you say that?   :P

Skoop

I saw a lets play of skyrim where a hot british girl was playing and she had a pip of herself, that was good.  If it's someone like banzi describes, then leave your mug off the screen.

Father Ted

I've no idea about this person, but I'm sure there is no random crock of gold on Youtube.  To make money you must have talent.  We here may not think that that this person has it, but they surely do in some form or another.  That form maybe self-promotion, but that is still a talent.

BanzaiCat

I'm just stating my own distaste for him and his bollocks. However, I fully recognize that there ARE people that find him their cup of tea. More power to them. If he can be a millionaire doing Let's Play videos, great. I'll never watch another one of 'em again, personally, but I doubt he'll give much of a crap about that. So win-win.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 09, 2015, 05:05:24 PM
I'm just stating my own distaste for him and his bollocks. However, I fully recognize that there ARE people that find him their cup of tea. More power to them. If he can be a millionaire doing Let's Play videos, great. I'll never watch another one of 'em again, personally, but I doubt he'll give much of a crap about that. So win-win.

;D


{quote}

Detective Lawrence 'Morgan Freeman' Appleton:
I'm not a Star Trek fan. I don't know very much about other dimensions and all that. I'm an old school Catholic. I believe in Hell. I believe that it's more than just murderers and rapists down there. I believe in demons and worms, vile shit in the grease trap of the Universe. And the more I think about it, the more I think that it's not just some place down there. Oh no, that it's right here with us. We just can't perceive it. It's kinda like the country music radio station. It's out there in the air, even if you don't tune into it."

Baloogan

I turn ads off on my youtube, I hate the idea of someone watching one of my videos being accosted by an advertisement.