Blood Bowl 2 Coming September 2015

Started by BanzaiCat, July 11, 2015, 12:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

...great. Well, here's hoping they get this one better than the last iterations...



And if you can get past the constant "uhhh...uhhhhhhhhhhhs" in this one, it's a decent gameplay vid:





I really REALLY want to like this game. I'm just tired of being disappointed in their computer versions.

KyzBP

I really dig Blood Bowl and have every iteration of it so far.  BC, you should have joined GJK's Vassal Blood Bowl League.  It was a blast...until it unexpectedly folded.
I'll probably pick this version up as well.  Cyanide may fail on most games but I thought they did a good job with Blood Bowl.

BanzaiCat

I thought seriously about joining, KyzBP, but the spare time I did have had been dedicated to GH reviews and AARs. I just didn't/don't have the time to get too heavily involved in a time-sink like that, no matter how awesome it is, and I didn't want to half-ass it, so I declined. The computerized version, I might be able to pull off as part of an MP league, if BB2 supports that.

undercovergeek

day 1 purchase - i see theyve already pissed off the community with 2 bonus races if you pre order - not yet released and the dlc gouging begins

BanzaiCat

That's definitely a problem for me, having races purchased separately - that's the crap they did in the iOS version and exactly the reason why I didn't buy it on that platform. I'll have to wait and see. If this is another 'only Orcs and Humans and everything else is $5 each' then I think I might pass on this one, too.

undercovergeek

it comes with the standard 8, and the 2 bonus ones are wood elves and someone i cant remember - its what they did with the first edition

DennisS

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 11, 2015, 01:51:05 PM
day 1 purchase - i see theyve already pissed off the community with 2 bonus races if you pre order - not yet released and the dlc gouging begins

Eight races at release..and if you pre-order, you don't get two new races...you get your choice of one of two.

Straight cash grab..and at $45 for eight initial races, this sucks hard.

I will wait a year or two, and wait for the specials to hit. I am in no mood to purchase DLC, 3-4 teams at a time, every three months for two years.

Grim.Reaper

Always was interested in trying one of the computer versions, but never bit....just curious, which version would be the best to pick up now if one wanted to give it  a try?

BanzaiCat

Grim, unless you want to try multiplayer, I'd avoid BB. The game's AI is atrocious in single-player play, and it cheats something awful with die rolls.

That's my .02, anyway. I don't know if there are mods out there to even things out.


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 11, 2015, 03:50:26 PM
Grim, unless you want to try multiplayer, I'd avoid BB. The game's AI is atrocious in single-player play, and it cheats something awful with die rolls.

That's my .02, anyway. I don't know if there are mods out there to even things out.

Ok, good to know...guess hold off until version 2 comes out.

BanzaiCat

Well, that's just my experience. I own the Legendary Edition myself. That one is $19.99 on Steam right now, and the Chaos Edition is 29.99. They do go on sale every so often, so while you wait for BB2 to go down in price, if either BB version gets gutted in price you might want to take a look at it. I don't think there's ANY way either the Chaos or Legendary edition is worth their current prices, but for five bucks, it might give you some entertainment, if anything because it's BB.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 11, 2015, 05:21:28 PM
Well, that's just my experience. I own the Legendary Edition myself. That one is $19.99 on Steam right now, and the Chaos Edition is 29.99. They do go on sale every so often, so while you wait for BB2 to go down in price, if either BB version gets gutted in price you might want to take a look at it. I don't think there's ANY way either the Chaos or Legendary edition is worth their current prices, but for five bucks, it might give you some entertainment, if anything because it's BB.

I had seen the Chaos version for about $10, but sounds like that might be too much as well:)

Nefaro

#12
The only problem I had with the previous version was the same as the whole of them:  the AI was too simple and often too stupid.

Despite the individual teams having different play styles, they only had one style programmed for the AI to do.  Which only played to the strengths of a few teams.

It was complained about so much, they started off the AI teams with more experienced players (in the latest version) in order to provide more of an artificial challenge at the default level.  Lazy way of doing it. 

They obviously didn't want to do any more AI work and I'm concerned they will take the same route with this new one, using the same overly simple AI that always walks a slow Bruiser Cage down the field.   ::)



Well.... I take that back.  I had a second problem.  The bad net code that would often lose sync, and even drop the multi-player match when it couldn't re-sync fast enough.  :knuppel2:  I had played numerous people in Europe and it was a constant problem no matter which IP.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 11, 2015, 03:58:18 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 11, 2015, 03:50:26 PM
Grim, unless you want to try multiplayer, I'd avoid BB. The game's AI is atrocious in single-player play, and it cheats something awful with die rolls.

That's my .02, anyway. I don't know if there are mods out there to even things out.

Ok, good to know...guess hold off until version 2 comes out.

I own the Chaos Edition (which is Legendary Edition adding the few remaining factions not yet released), and I have never once seen it cheat dice rolls.

While it does like the bruiser cage tactic -- which it should because it's a good tactic -- I have seen it try other things, too, including bobbing a goatman behind its line drawing me inward until it dashed for a straight throw to a decent catcher it had infiltrated near my goal that I never even noticed.

My narrative BB:CE AAR is linked in my sig, two seasons worth of initial campaign. There were some UI oddities I didn't like, but otherwise I was very satisfied with the experience. To be fair to those complaining about one standard AI, though, I didn't play against any especially fast teams. (Skaven, yes, but they have heavies, too, and the AI mixed up fairly well on a turn-by-turn basis according to what looked to it like the best tactic under the circumstances.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 11, 2015, 07:29:51 PM
I have never once seen it cheat dice rolls.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/216890/discussions/0/828923952115878738/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/216890/discussions/0/864951022529573867/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/58520/discussions/0/810938811085746906/?insideModal=1

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1995461

And on and on and on.

There's enough unique posts complaining about the AI fudging its die rolls in its favor that it can't be just randomness. Sure, it's die-generated, and sure, that's a lot of random chance, but there's plenty of other games with similar generation mechanics that don't get nearly this amount of complaints.

And while I can see both sides of the story, every time I miss it and re-install and play, it pulls this same stuff every time. I consider myself to be a pretty strong BB player as I did it quite a bit back in the day, but this game really frustrates the hell out of me.

That's not to say it's ALWAYS like that. I've won more than a few games against the AI. But mostly it's an exercise in saying over and over and over again, "are you freakin' KIDDING me with these rolls?"