Blood Bowl 2 Coming September 2015

Started by BanzaiCat, July 11, 2015, 12:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Regarding saving during a game; from what I could tell poking around on it very briefly the other night (my controller worked fine so far as that went, which wasn't far just into some menus, btw), if you aren't connected on line you can't save anything -- trying to continue offline leads to an extensive warning about this -- which I figured also meant being unable to save a game at any time when offline.

Which logically would also include 'during a match'.

However, if people have been playing single-player online, and can't save during a match, that would scotch the theory that the problem is not being online.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Cyrano

@Jason -- What controller did you get to work?

I'd have a nice evening set up if I could get my Xbox 360 to work so my son and I could play head-to-head.

Jim
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

GJK

If somebody is wanting to pbem Blood Bowl (for free), then let me know - see my thread down in the Tabletop AAR's thread for more details.  Time investment is 10-15 min per turn a few times a week.  It's not as pretty but it works (quite nicely I might add).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JasonPratt

It's an XBox360 controller, wired. I bought the version specifically for PC, but I don't know how much difference that really makes (no difference in cost.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP


GJK

I don't want (er, didn't want to) hijack this thread so if you guys want to discuss the VASSAL module version, I have the thread down in the Tabletop AAR section.  I will say however that I'm in communication with Damien, the guy that did a wonderful job of GM'ing the league last time so we could probably put something together if you guys (and others!) are interested down the road.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grim.Reaper

Patch released...

General info on the patch:
- Size of the update : 530 MB

- In Game (feedback, HUD) :
o Fix an error when you click on a thrower after setting up a pass
o Wild animal tooltip isn't displayed anymore at the end of a turn
o Fix visual effects on players (Death, KO and injury) during half-time cutscene
o Fix a GUI issue when you throw a goblin team mate on your player
o The crowdsurf cutscene is not displayed anymore if you desactivated cutscenes.

- Menu :
o Administrator and redactor have a specific font in the administration board
o Multiplayer league : reward window isn't displayed twice anymore
o Correct competition title and name when you add a Coach in a competition
o Fix of an error when you lose an auction
o The team filter is now working properly on the ranking board

- Gameplay :
o The player kicking the ball can now blitz during a Blitz event
o Interception reroll during a Dump Off doesn't cost a Team reroll to the opponent team anymore
o Fix the error preventing from blizting and then getting up with the contextual menu
o You don't loose the ball with StripBall on a chainpush anymore
o Strip Ball + Juggernaut : the player is pushed then drop the ball
o During a Blitz event, MA are properly consumed by a Blitz
o Loner is now rolled on an interception reroll
o No more lag in multiplayer after failing Always Hungry with a non-eaten goblin
o A player on the ground being chain pushed can't use Side Step and Stand Firm anymore
o A player can't stand up after Piling On anymore
o A Journeymen injured during a game stays injured after the game
o The Interception patron is now conform to the LRB6

- Crash :
o Fix a crash on the post game window
o Fix a crash when refusing an offer in the marketplace

Cyrano

So, had a rare night off yesterday, went home and downloaded the release version...

1:  Given that the patch was all of 45 MB, clearly all the races were lurking in there waiting for unlock...fascinating...

2:  Nope, no in-game save.  This makes sense, I suppose, for MP matches, but NONE for off-line.  Foolish omission...

3:  The campaign, intended as a tutorial, is utterly disposable.  The first game actually lets you play Blood Bowl without tackle dice (everybody knocks everybody down and no armor checks)...I had this weird out-of-body experience as I was suddenly detached from everything I knew about the game.  Also, I had only limited toleration for the Jim and Bob commentary going in...I did not want an entire game mode built around the sub-par writing that these two are compelled to read...

4:  UI and gameplay are essentially the same as the BETA.

5:  MP remains extremely robust.  I've got four on-line matches in now with two different teams and no disconnects or other problems.  As others have observed, though, no save game means each game is a commitment.

6:  It is AWFULLY hard to go from 23 races to eight.  I understand the model.  I understand the market, but that's a cliff not a decline.

Bottom line: I like it.  A lot.  Weird, huh?  For all its flaws, it has finally got me planning to store my board game and miniatures for good.  My son and I are squeezing in matches as often as we can and they are uniformly a good time.  I continue to get stomped on-line -- as RPS points out, there's people for whom this has been their game for decades -- so will, once the code settles a bit -- set up a Grogheads league and see if there's any interest...


Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

I'd like to get BB2 but, from the vids I've seen, it needs some additions.  Besides more races, which will obviously be DLC'd to the sky.

My main hang-up is some UI bits.  While some of the UI is improved, other bits are a step back. 

There are no nameplate tags above each player on the field to identify what they are.  In a game that uses a turn timer, I want to be sure what something is at a glance without clicking on it. 

Similarly, I don't like the new special ability icons laid over the character window.  The original's text list was just fine.  Again.. you have to interpret the graphic symbol for each (or hover cursor for tooltip?) to know what they are.  Not an improvement.

The 'End Turn' button located too far out over the playing field makes accidental clicks when ordering stuff around a constant problem.

The saving mid-game thing, of course.

Just some noticeable bits from watching.  I'm sure there are more UI improvements/reversions to be made. 

I'd also like to hear how well the race-tailored single player AI performs in a regular (non-prefab) campaign.  They still have regular campaigns like BB1, right? 

JudgeDredd

I wouldn't mind their choice of charging of other races, if they priced their core product right - but, imo and more importantly, for me, they haven't.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Cyrano

One small observation re: the names:  the figures and their animations are honestly so good, I never had a problem figuring out who was who...I also had no problem with accidental "end game" clicks, but I was using an Xbox controller...

Re: price, i think we all know all it will take is the Holiday sale to solve that for those not willing to take the pain of early adoption.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

GJK

Quote from: Cyrano on September 23, 2015, 11:33:49 AM
  For all its flaws, it has finally got me planning to store my board game and miniatures for good. 

I wouldn't sell or store the originals in a place too far away if I were you.  If you're anything like me, the glitz of a new computer game will wear and you'll start to want to actually pick up pieces and play in person again eventually.  But in case not, want to sell any of your BB mini's??   ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

For anyone who has this - can you give a run down of what's it's like and what comes "in the package" please?

I really like the BloodBowl game but suck real bad at it. But I could be tempted to "upgrade"

Appreciated, thanks  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2015, 05:26:37 AM
For anyone who has this - can you give a run down of what's it's like and what comes "in the package" please?

I really like the BloodBowl game but suck real bad at it. But I could be tempted to "upgrade"

Appreciated, thanks  O0


Just like the original, but with some UI improvements.... and a few omissions.  Reportedly using a new engine with fewer inherent issues.  Fewer playable races thus far, though. 

There are many things on my 'want' list right now, and not enough funds to get them all.  I'm gonna wait for the inevitable stretch of patches and additions to pass before picking up BB2.  Probably on a sale or package thing eventually. 

I enjoyed the first one, despite a few complaints regarding the programming, so I'm already sold on the gameplay itself.