Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

There are already underground battles, but a subterranean map would be cool too

Gusington

How are there underground battles with no underground map?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2016, 07:57:04 PM
How are there underground battles with no underground map?

Certain regions spawn underground battles.
Also if both units are doing underground movement, they will fight under ground.

Gusington

I guess I should buy the game ultimately. So there are above ground regions that spawn underground battles?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2016, 09:01:52 PM
I guess I should buy the game ultimately. So there are above ground regions that spawn underground battles?

Yes. These are usually the dwarve's mountains provinces.  Attacking dwarven castles bring you underground too.

Underground battle maps are linear. A big tunnel / cavern-like. Very cramp. No flanking opportunity if the armies are big enough. It's a slugfest.  The lore says these are the ancient underground highways.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2016, 09:01:52 PM

Orcs and dwarves can use the underway, you can attempt to intercept a force underground or be intercepted yourself - if you lose underground there are no survivors

I'm not aware of any underground regions and any castle I've attacked has always been above ground otherwise there's no point building walls and defences - it is purely triggered by both forces travelling underground or one intercepting another

jomni

Castles in dwarf provinces are under ground.  Maybe it wasn't necessary in your campaign so you did not attack one.  So sieges in these regions will be under ground. Or it maybe just the lighting and I interpret them as underground.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hvG7IFf9h1M
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XBz1Wb_ghXc

undercovergeek

Well look at that, I apologise, I always wondered why my castle battles were in the gloom - spent so much time focusing on the advancing horde I never even noticed we were underground!

jomni

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 26, 2016, 05:09:00 AM
Well look at that, I apologise, I always wondered why my castle battles were in the gloom - spent so much time focusing on the advancing horde I never even noticed we were underground!

No worries.  I thought I was the one who was seeing things.

Nefaro

The underground sieges are spacious enough to get the job done, though.  You're only blocked from the back half of the castles, which is fine with me because those siege battles in previous TWs were getting increasingly messy & spread out, with highly varied AI capability to defend them.  Smaller is better in TW siege battles IMO, and it shows by how much better the AI defends for those in TW:W.

The underground battles resulting from using the special underground move modes, for some factions, gives the long tunnel style maps where there isn't any flanking room.  Probably benefits the Dwarves most since they aren't very mobile, but are extremely sturdy.

The AI uses the special move modes (and you should too) when needing to bypass nasty terrain such as mountains.  Gotta keep that in mind if you're up against the Dwarves or Greenskins because one of their armies may skip past yours in narrow spots.  Gotta remember to use Ambush on them more often and not get outmaneuvered by it.

AFAICT, the Beastman's forest movement ability works the same way, but results in some woodland battle if they get ambushed while doing it.

Still loving TW:W, despite not doing much PC gaming lately.  It adds an extra RPG-ish feel to your commanders, along with oozing Warhammer flavor from all the art crammed into every nook & cranny.    O0  I just wish there were more factions to fight against on the campaign map.  Will be awhile before they finally get those filled out with DLC. 

Gusington

'If you lose underground there are no survivors.'

eek

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Freyland

I just want to point out that this title really has its hooks in me.  I have reportedly 600+ hours (doubt that is entirely accurate) playing it, per Steam, and that would only be between midnight and 3 AM every night!  I had difficulty "getting it" initially, but now it seems like the most user-friendly TW yet.  Might I recommend the "Steel Faith Overhaul" mod?  Excellent work, and the Modder is very very responsive in the comments section, with frequent updates.  Prior to using that, I was playing with a mish-mash of AI mods which I also really enjoyed, but this Overhaul mod does that and more so very well.

undercovergeek

i had a 101 turn campaign underway having destroyed all the eastern orks as the dwarves but lost it after the last patch, would not boot up after any amount of the recommended fiddling

now 30 turns into a new dwarf campaign - and its very different, in the first the orks hammered all the other dwarven clans leaving me to mop up and reap the benefits, in this campaign theyre all still strong and together we're rolling back the orks but its making land grabs harder, need to do some confederating to absorb some of the power

not many games would have me lose a 100 turn campaign and make me restart straight away

Gusington

What else does that Steel Faith Overhaul do?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

There's some serious unit buffing by the looks of it, mostly in accordance with lore - need to read up on it later