World War 2 machine-readable OOB/TOE's

Started by George, July 23, 2015, 05:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you know of any resources that contain OOB's and TOE's for the 2nd World War in machine-readable form. I'm doing research for our upcoming game "Chain of Command" into troop dispositions for Fall Gelb and there are tons of resources out there, but most of them in the form of human-readable web-pages or PDF documents. This is great, but not if you attempt to put the entire Panzer Group Kleist into a digital OOB down to the individual vehicle level (of which there are over 40,000).

Some of the resources I'm using are:

There are plenty of others as well, but what I'm looking for is something that can be converted into a set-up for our game as automatically as possible. As a software developer I'm used to writing all kinds of data-conversion tools so any source with data in a structured form will do. There are a lot of sites writing up all this great information, but is there some kind of "open WW2 OOB database" somewhere, where developers can find data and contribute data in return?
Military Operations - http://militaryoperationshq.com

bayonetbrant

did you check with the guys at orbat.com or at the Yahoo group for TO&E data?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

George

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 23, 2015, 06:14:05 PM

orbat.com seems to be down unfortunately. I'll try and join the Yahoo group and ask around there (I get to make yet another account at yet another website, oh boy, what fun!  ::))

bayonetbrant

Quote from: george.van.venrooij on July 24, 2015, 10:28:00 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 23, 2015, 06:14:05 PM

orbat.com seems to be down unfortunately. I'll try and join the Yahoo group and ask around there (I get to make yet another account at yet another website, oh boy, what fun!  ::))

Looks like they've relocated to orbat.info
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

George

My post on the Yahoo group has triggered some people to come forward and try and organize a project to setup an online database for OOB/TOE information. Thanks for for the tip!

bayonetbrant