Pride of Nations - New Patch

Started by bbmike, July 26, 2015, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Not sure how I missed it, but a new Pride of Nations patch was released last week!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

it mentions improvements with turn processing...but was reading in forums that one player seemed satisfied it went from 13-14 minutes to 7-8 minutes...that still seems long to me....was one of the reasons I never fully stayed engaged with the game.

bobarossa

I never had a problem with the turn length.  I just brought a book to read.  My main problem was with broken UI issues.  I remember clicking on a treaty hoping to get more info and it was canceled instead.  Also couldn't scroll the treaty list so I couldn't see the latest treaties.  Wording of treaties was such that I couldn't tell what they did. 

Grim.Reaper

I guess I am just spoiled with other games where it typically is pretty fast....I am not a very patient person to wait 7-8 minutes every turn, even with a book in hand:)

tgb

I don't have a lot of gaming time to begin with, and at 62 I may not live to see the end of the game.

Queeg

No amount of patching can fix PON.  The game will forever remain a loose collection of great ideas presented via Excel spreadsheet. 

Rayfer

Quote from: tgb on July 26, 2015, 10:03:41 AM
I don't have a lot of gaming time to begin with, and at 62 I may not live to see the end of the game.

LOL....I'm 64, so I completely relate to what you're saying!

sandman2575

Quote from: Queeg on July 26, 2015, 10:37:17 AM
No amount of patching can fix PON.  The game will forever remain a loose collection of great ideas presented via Excel spreadsheet.


Maybe we need a team of French Canadian indy programmers to obtain what they think are the rights to PON, overhaul the engine, and then sell it as a new game.  Oh, wait...     >:D

bobarossa

Quote from: Rayfer on July 26, 2015, 10:45:33 AM
Quote from: tgb on July 26, 2015, 10:03:41 AM
I don't have a lot of gaming time to begin with, and at 62 I may not live to see the end of the game.

LOL....I'm 64, so I completely relate to what you're saying!
59 here but I'm (un)voluntarily retired so I have the time if not patience for it.  However, at 1600+ turns in grand campaign, that would be several hundred hours of turn processing time.  I could finish a couple dozen books by the time the game was over!

I reinstalled PrON and patched to 1.03 (the patch after I last played it).  My scrolling problems with Foreign Ministry are gone now.  I simply couldn't play the game if I couldn't review/cancel my treaties.  Will have to give this a new try (after playing the dozen other games I've bought and haven't played yet).

Queeg

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM
Quote from: Queeg on July 26, 2015, 10:37:17 AM
No amount of patching can fix PON.  The game will forever remain a loose collection of great ideas presented via Excel spreadsheet.


Maybe we need a team of French Canadian indy programmers to obtain what they think are the rights to PON, overhaul the engine, and then sell it as a new game.  Oh, wait...     >:D

;D

Boggit

Nice one bbmike! O0 I'm downloading now. I was pleased to see that turn processing is much improved.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

So I just booted this with the latest patch and played the combat tutorial. The turn delay was still intolerable. At least 2 to 3 minutes...for a tutorial scenario limited to one turn, that struck me as grossly excessive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


kassdhal

was never able to launch the game :(

RedArgo

Quote from: kassdhal on July 29, 2015, 07:52:41 AM
was never able to launch the game :(

I haven't played much at all, but I did have a problem with the game locking up while initializing.

Here is a thread, the second post really, that fixed it for me.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-crashes-at-initializing-map-logic.624277/

here is what the post says.

Check under My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 2\map\cache delete all the files in there and try reloading the game.

Hope this helps.

bobarossa

#14
Quote from: RedArgo on July 29, 2015, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: kassdhal on July 29, 2015, 07:52:41 AM
was never able to launch the game :(

I haven't played much at all, but I did have a problem with the game locking up while initializing.

Here is a thread, the second post really, that fixed it for me.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-crashes-at-initializing-map-logic.624277/


here is what the post says.

Check under My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 2\map\cache delete all the files in there and try reloading the game.

Hope this helps.
I don't see an equivalent to that in the Pride of Nations or VGN folders.  Are you sure this Victoria 2 fix applies?  Personally I didn't have a crash there. 

How did you install the patch?  I had uninstalled my game so I reinstalled the 1.02 game, patched to 1.03 then applied the 1.04 patch.  Had no troubles.  I did copy my old save games files over to the new directory before trying to run it.