Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Putin has the US where he wants them.  A weak president.  China slowly rattling the saber in Asia with the Spratly's   With the chaos in the Middle East and an ally willing to open the door and let them in.  And a weak Europe now being invaded with those fleeing the Middle East.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

That's why I play wargames. The real world is just too scary.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Swatter

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2015, 10:32:24 AM
No worries. Obama has isolated Russia for her behavior in Crimea and told Assad he has to go. So, problem solved. Now turn in your guns.

;D

Swatter

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 02, 2015, 06:27:24 AM
theres an obvious agenda here - i find it hard to believe ukraine, syria isnt part of some larger plan - you dont randomly sit in the kremlin rolling dice and seeing which operations to partake in

I think the Ukraine is an obvious ploy to keep them out of NATO.

Syria is a little more murky. Obviously he wants to prop up an ally that gives some naval access to the Med. Although, that doesn't seem like the whole of it. Bombing pro-US rebels is only icing on the cake. Putin seemingly enjoys poking and prodding Obama whatever chance he gets. It usually starts by saying something behind closed doors, then doing the exact opposite.

I can imagine Obama just sitting in the oval office thinking "I didn't sign up for this!".

LongBlade

That's telling him! Putin's got no choice but to withdraw from Syria now.

QuotePresident Obama, addressing Soviet intervention in Syria at a White House press conference, said Tuesday Iran and Syria President Bashar Assad represented Russia's entire coalition "and the rest of the world makes up ours."

source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/02/president-addresses-russian-intervention-in-syria-at-wh-press-conference/?intcmp=hpbt1
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Wait I thought Iran was on our side now?  Isn't Kerry in the running for the Nobel Peace Prize for some sort of historic agreement or other that involved Iran?

Gusington

Fox actually used 'Soviet'?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 02, 2015, 01:39:51 PM
It bypasses the NATO gate at the Dardanelles, giving them  the world's oceans in winter.

with what russian navy?   ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2015, 09:14:37 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 02, 2015, 01:39:51 PM
It bypasses the NATO gate at the Dardanelles, giving them  the world's oceans in winter.

with what russian navy?   ::)

The drunk one, of course.  :crazy2:
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Sir Slash

I'm often surprised at how uninformed some of the newsies can be. I frequently hear them still call Russia "Soviet" and some politicians too. I think many are still just in a habit of saying Soviet Union or Soviet Russia. But some are clearly clueless. I think the Soviets actually had far better control of their leaders, and thus made them more predictable, than the current leadership of Russia. One hopes somebody's telling Putin he can't take over the whole world but who really knows.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on October 02, 2015, 08:40:58 PM

It's not far from the mark.

I can't imagine it's an oversight, but then again bigger mistakes have been made.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on October 02, 2015, 08:40:58 PM

Since Putin is apparently attempting to rebuild the Soviet Union, perhaps it's a prophetic slip of the tongue.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

It's a sad day when we're pining for the return of soviets.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on October 03, 2015, 08:27:39 AM
It's a sad day when we're pining for the return of soviets.

Indeed it is. But it doesn't appear that any nation is going to thwart Putin's efforts.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.