Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

It's almost comical, the Russian ground forces on armed tours of foreign territory being constantly referred to as "volunteers" by President-For-Life Putin's regime. 

Who the hell is actually buying that nonsense?  I don't even think most Russians would.  ::)

Now they say that their "volunteer" combat veterans in Ukraine will likely be joining the Syrian fight en masse.  Uhh..

Staggerwing

The Warlords in the Donetsk and Luhansk pseudo-oblasts have got to be getting a little nervous about the Russian 'volunteers' being ordered to take an extended Mediterranean vaca.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

Quote from: Nefaro on October 05, 2015, 06:58:06 PM
Who the hell is actually buying that nonsense?  I don't even think most Russians would.  ::)

The current administrations national security team. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Nefaro

Quote from: OJsDad on October 05, 2015, 07:40:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 05, 2015, 06:58:06 PM

The current administrations national security team.

They would probably make that shit up for the Russians, themselves, if it actually helped the Admin look a bit better in the media.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Merely lost volunteers.

Did you see that a thermobaric artillery unit of lost volunteers was spotted in Ukraine?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Nope. Must have missed it.

Greybriar

Quote from: LongBlade on October 05, 2015, 06:29:22 PM
Saw a headline from the Washington Post which said Obama may be considering leaving 5000 troops in Afghanistan.

I wonder why?

Only 5,000? How optimistic!
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

LongBlade

Quote from: Greybriar on October 05, 2015, 09:49:39 PM
Saw a headline from the Washington Post which said Obama may be considering leaving 5000 troops in Afghanistan.

I wonder why?

Gosh. I would have thought Obama could manage with 50.

Sir Slash

It takes a large Carbon Footprint to fight Climate Change.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

pawelj

This administration will forever be studied as how to AVOID doing foreign policy.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

JasonPratt

Quote from: Greybriar on October 05, 2015, 09:49:39 PM

I wonder why?

Nah, given the terrain, they could conceivably hold out for years, preventing the Sovs from pushing into Pakistan and India.

...wait, sorry, had a flashback to 1985 there.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

QuoteRussian weatherwoman Yekaterina Grigorova said the weather forecast for Syria is cloudy, with a chance of airstrikes on Rossiya-24 state television.

Grigorova said, "It is a very opportune time to launch an air force operation. October is a good time for flying in Syria."

Before discussing the possibility of rain, clouds and sandstorms, Grigorova discussed a highlight video of Russian Aerospace Force successes in Syria.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/06/russian-weatherwoman-forecasts-clouds-with-chance-of-airstrikes-over-syria-video/

Gusington

I did not make the connection between the Russians in Syria and the month of October until now...

...also, thermobaric weapons are scary as hell.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd