Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on November 01, 2015, 04:09:35 PM
That said I am more than a little surprised at how bad the press coverage has been over this incident. I really have to dig around to find mention of it. It's barely a leading headline in the NY Times.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on November 01, 2015, 01:09:39 PM
Of course there were a lot of innocents on this Russian plane...just like there were a lot of innocents on the plane shot down last year. The day shooting down civilian airliners becomes 'normal' is going to be a very bad day. Hopefully that day hasn't already passed.

Sadley, while not commonplace, shooting down passenger aircraft is not the rarity many people think it is:

List of airliner shootdown incidents
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^True - not quite commonplace. Hopefully it will stay that way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on November 01, 2015, 06:54:43 AM

I dunno. There were a lot of innocent lives aboard that plane.

+1

Yeah, my first thoughts carried a kind of heart-sickness for the families back home, getting the news that their loved ones have died on vacation.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on October 31, 2015, 05:32:28 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 31, 2015, 04:48:44 PM
Whatever happened to that guy anyway?

That's the point - nobody cared.

He would have made a good talk-show host in the new Iraq.

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on October 31, 2015, 06:03:51 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 31, 2015, 06:00:56 PM
Any guesses as to how long it will be before Russian media agitators start claiming that the Russian plane was shot down by the US in retaliation for a 'misguided' belief Russia was involved in the downing of MH17 over the Ukraine?

Now we're thinking!

You're 100% correct.

I'd be shocked if this does not happen.

LongBlade

The plot thickens.

QuoteThe Pentagon is certain the Russian airliner that exploded over the Sinai Peninsula Saturday was not shot down, a defense official with access to the latest intelligence report of the crash told Fox News.

"There is no way it was brought down by a missile or anti-aircraft fire," the official said.

source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/03/pentagon-official-says-there-is-no-way-russian-airliner-was-shot-down/

Sir Slash

So we got a choice whether to believe the Russians or the Obama Administration. Kind of like whether you want a kick in the head or in the nuts.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

JasonPratt

I did notice that IS militants were solidly confirmed as having claimed responsibility for bringing the plane down.

That means they would have gladly done so if they could have, regardless of whether they did do it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

A one sentence news flash out of the UK is rather chilling.

QuoteUK suspends Sinai flights, says Russian jet may have been brought down by explosive device.

source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_APNEWSALERT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-11-04-12-02-57

Centurion40

The Middle Eastern locals don't like foreigners nosing in their business.  The Ottomans had problems, the British had problems, the French had problems, the Americans have problems, and now it's the Russians turn.

JasonPratt

The Middle Eastern locals don't like other ME locals nosing in their business, either. ;)

Quote from: LongBlade on November 04, 2015, 12:12:13 PM
A one sentence news flash out of the UK is rather chilling.

The AP article today (not sure if this link will work http://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/story/1001/20151104/7002 ) is only really a small procedural step: the heat bloom is being officially recognized by a government as POSSIBLY being a bomb, something unofficially already known, therefore the government (Britain in this case) is suspending flights to and from the region.

Quote"It's a political decision to err on the side of caution if it has been deemed possible that an explosive device was involved and there are concerns about the levels of security at the airport involved," he said. [...]

The infrared activity could mean many things, however, including a bomb blast or an engine on the plane exploding due to a malfunction. One of the officials who spoke condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the information publicly said a missile striking the Metrojet was ruled out, because neither a missile launch nor an engine burn had been detected.

Several airlines, including Lufthansa and Air France, stopped flying over Sinai after the crash, but British carriers had kept to their schedules.

Britain did not change its travel advice for Egypt, which advises against all but essential travel to Sinai — where Islamist militants have mounted gun and bomb attacks — but makes an exception for Sharm el-Sheikh.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 04, 2015, 03:07:44 PM
The Middle Eastern locals don't like other ME locals nosing in their business, either. ;)

I'd be willing to speculate that if they managed to prevent islamofascists from meddling in our business, we'd manage to figure out how to not meddle in theirs...

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on November 04, 2015, 03:28:33 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 04, 2015, 03:07:44 PM

I'd be willing to speculate that if they managed to prevent islamofascists from meddling in our business, we'd manage to figure out how to not meddle in theirs... so long as they don't have any oil.

FTFY