Middle East campaign series releases sep. 24

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 21, 2015, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 03, 2015, 11:35:12 AM
So I am really intrigued by the period and area covered, no issue there....one of the reasons I am undecided is I own the Mideast 67 game from HPS...never really got into it much, even though I liked the material.  I know this game is not the same, but I am concerned the same thing will happen with this game.  Not that I want to detract from this game, but if anyone owns both, can they tell me their opinion on the differences?


There's a massive difference in scale. JTS/HPS Mideast 67 is operational, with units that are at least companies and usually larger. Turns are, IIRC, a couple of hours and hexes are a kilometer or more. ME 67 is intended to model entire operations, with you in the role of a senior commander.


CS:ME is grand tactical/tactical. Units are platoons, turns are shorter (I think length can vary by scenario) and hexes are 250m. The result is a game where weapons systems have a more obvious impact on combat and where the combat is much faster and more dramatic. CS:ME models the smaller engagements that would be the fights you have over a turn or two in ME 67. Your role is more that of the task force commander rather than say, a corps commander.


Don't get me wrong; I quite enjoy ME 67. Operational games tend to be somewhat dry for a lot of players though, and tougher to get into than tactical games. I find CS:ME at the right scale for me tactically: squad level "firefights" aren't my favorite because they usually don't capture enough of an engagement to be meaningful. CS:ME is a step up from that is scale, and you can get an entire "battle" rather than just a firefight.


CS:ME also covers conflicts that ME 67 doesn't. ME 67 is primarily focused on the Six-Day War with some scenarios that cover other Arab-Israeli conflicts. CS:ME covers all of the Arab-Israeli conflicts ftom the 1948 War of Independence up through the 1980s, but also has scenarios covering the Anglo-French attack on Port Said during the Suez Crisis, Jordanian actions against the PLO, Syrian attacks versus Jordan, the Egyptian police action in Aden/Yemen, and a variety of raids and other smaller actions. There's a lot of content in this game at a very accessible level - smaller scenarios might have only 20 or so units per side.


Hope that helps!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grim.Reaper

Thank you very much for the additional information...does sound like a good game.  Likely won't survive the weekend without making the purchase:)

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.


mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Grim.Reaper

Your not helping either:)  In recent days I have bought Heroes in Normandie, Grand Ages Medieval, NBA 2k16, FHM2, etc....trying to at least let the CC cool off a bit....

mirth

Buy it now before you max out your limit with something foolish, like groceries or gas.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

panzerde

Really, would budd and mirth steer you wrong?  O0
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

Well, I bit. Will have to wait until tomorrow to play.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

welcome aboard.......I think we have a movement going on here.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

panzerde

If you're just getting started with the game, don't overlook some of the cool extras like the JTCS Unit Viewer that have been included. Really useful for learning the specifics of a unit and for comparing the characteristics of units. There are a lot of detailed characteristics modeled for each platoon type in the game. The Unit Viewer can really help understand them.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Haven't watched in myself yet, but they just put up a video tutorial on one of the boot camp missions...gonna watch now:)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3941689

Warhorse

Thanks very much for the support guys, it is VERY much appreciated!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue