Main Menu

Diablo 3

Started by Bison, May 15, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on May 17, 2012, 03:00:44 PM
I think an hour or two depending on internet speed.  I downloaded my 3 weeks ago, so I don't remember exactly.  I do know that it was sitting on my hard drive just waiting to be installed on release day.

Depends on your ISP. I bought it in the evening and didn't look for it until the next day.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Although I'm sure your local walmart, target, fred meyers, best buy, etc...has physical copies.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on May 17, 2012, 03:24:24 PM
Although I'm sure your local walmart, target, fred meyers, best buy, etc...has physical copies.

This. Best Buy will have tons, if you must have a physical copy. But it won't really do you any good, the physical copy will still DL all the files you need (that is what it did with StarCraft II).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

I think you'd only have to download any games updates since the game discs were produced, which shouldn't be too much.  I don't believe there was an update to the game that was released for the digital download pre-order.

Bison

I also broke down and bought the strategy guide today.  It's nice and full of useful information.  Worth the money IMO.

Nefaro

After hitting level 31 or so, on my Witch Doctor, I'm hoping I don't get too AoE spoiled before starting a different class. 

I regularly get those bonus xp notifications, "Killed 17 enemies with one attack!"  with that bitchin' Dire Bat spam (highest was mid-20s  8) ).  I'll feel pretty wimpy if I'm just whack-a-mole'ing them one by one a lot with a different one.  :P

Gusington

Who published the strategy guide? The only guide I've purchased lately is for Skyrim.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Nefaro what difficulty level are you playing?

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2012, 07:46:21 PM
Who published the strategy guide? The only guide I've purchased lately is for Skyrim.

Bradley Games

Gusington

OK my copy shipped a few hours ago. My nerd rage is lessening. Bison is a guide really necessary for a game like this? Is it mostly maps and such?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2012, 09:26:31 PM
OK my copy shipped a few hours ago. My nerd rage is lessening. Bison is a guide really necessary for a game like this? Is it mostly maps and such?

I'm playing at Normal difficulty without a guide and having no problems. It wouldn't hurt to read the manual or figure out some tricks, but so far I think I'm doing fine without it. But I just unlocked crafting, and that could present some new challenges.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on May 17, 2012, 06:43:56 PM
I think you'd only have to download any games updates since the game discs were produced, which shouldn't be too much.  I don't believe there was an update to the game that was released for the digital download pre-order.

To be honest, StarCraft 2 had me downloading gigabytes worth of data. I suspect the same with Diablo 3. When I worked at Ebgames, Blizzard games sometimes got "stocked" months before release, because they relied upon Blizzard.net to update them.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2012, 09:26:31 PM

I don't know what a guide would actually include. The maps are pretty much randomly generated, and it honestly isn't a difficult game to get a handle on. I've never played either of the previous Diablo games, and I'm having a blast.

My only complaint is that there aren't much in the way of ranged weapon drops. I need a new bow for my demon hunter, or I'm going to have to unlock some melee skills.

Bison

The guide simply fullfills a nerd need nothing more.  Is it necessary?  No.  Is it awesome to look at the class skill trees and loot sets in full color book suitable for light throne reading?  Damn straight it is.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on May 17, 2012, 11:13:59 PM
The guide simply fullfills a nerd need nothing more.  Is it necessary?  No.  Is it awesome to look at the class skill trees and loot sets in full color book suitable for light throne reading?  Damn straight it is.

This.

Also, you can geek out reading about all the monsters and their variations.

But I refuse to look at the quest/map part to avoid spoilers. BTW Arctic, the dungeon maps are random but the overland maps are pre-made.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert