Armored Warfare open beta........

Started by AchillesLastStand, September 30, 2015, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2015, 07:30:37 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 19, 2015, 05:25:20 PM
Started playing. Does Pvp really take too long to join. My experience is 3 to 4 mins

That's on the long side. 

Probably just happened in the first couple tiers, though, because people level out of those extremely fast.  Once you reach around Tier 3 or 4 it will normalize.

And the super high tier guys take 10 to 13 minutes  :o  I guess the game hasn't reached the desired mass yet.

Nefaro

Think I'm only up to around Tier 6.

The wait time wasn't too horrible last I played, but it was often during primetime here.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on December 19, 2015, 08:07:34 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2015, 07:30:37 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 19, 2015, 05:25:20 PM
Started playing. Does Pvp really take too long to join. My experience is 3 to 4 mins

That's on the long side. 

Probably just happened in the first couple tiers, though, because people level out of those extremely fast.  Once you reach around Tier 3 or 4 it will normalize.

And the super high tier guys take 10 to 13 minutes  :o  I guess the game hasn't reached the desired mass yet.

  It's kind of a nice time on the North American server at least at East Coast Prime time.  I have a range of vehicles from level 1 to level 5 and every day I try to get the first win bonus on whichever ones seem interesting.  For example, I really didn't like the OF-40 (the tier 4 leopard line tank), but I was playing it to get in the groove for the ICEM60A3.  I did okay in the OF-40 so now I want to upgrade its sights so that means I need to get the Swingfire to proven, which otherwise I'm not that interested in.  The swingfire is tier 4 IIRC and tier 4 is pretty easy to get games in.  So better sights on the OF-40 here I come.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 05, 2016, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: jomni on December 19, 2015, 08:07:34 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 19, 2015, 07:30:37 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 19, 2015, 05:25:20 PM
Started playing. Does Pvp really take too long to join. My experience is 3 to 4 mins

That's on the long side. 

Probably just happened in the first couple tiers, though, because people level out of those extremely fast.  Once you reach around Tier 3 or 4 it will normalize.

And the super high tier guys take 10 to 13 minutes  :o  I guess the game hasn't reached the desired mass yet.

  It's kind of a nice time on the North American server at least at East Coast Prime time.  I have a range of vehicles from level 1 to level 5 and every day I try to get the first win bonus on whichever ones seem interesting.  For example, I really didn't like the OF-40 (the tier 4 leopard line tank), but I was playing it to get in the groove for the ICEM60A3.  I did okay in the OF-40 so now I want to upgrade its sights so that means I need to get the Swingfire to proven, which otherwise I'm not that interested in.  The swingfire is tier 4 IIRC and tier 4 is pretty easy to get games in.  So better sights on the OF-40 here I come.

  My plan to make a somewhat sneaky OF-40 seems to have worked.  I even helped win a close game by finishing off a level 5 vehicle of some sort.  It sort of fell out of the foliagegoing backward onto a frozen river looking bewildered and I happened to hit the fire button at the right time and he blew up.

Nefaro

#64
I wasn't encouraged by the look of the OF-40's and Leopard 1A5's stat blocks.

But after playing them for awhile, and some module upgrades, they ended up being quite fun.  Their guns are excellent for their tier, firing fast and very accurately.  The tanks themselves are pretty quick for MBTs. 

Frankly, my MBTs get constantly penned and damaged from the front anyway.  Due to all the weak points the developers have placed on them, the accuracy and often short engagement ranges on all the exceptionally hilly/urban maps full of junk and funnel points make it the norm to be close enough to aim for any small weak spot.   

I found it a bit more effective just to have high HP and a fast-aiming, fast-firing, and accurate gun instead of trying to rely on armor bounces.   Pretty sure my effectiveness dropped a bit when I moved up into the Leopard 2AV.  Everything was slower & less accurate on it.  The increased armor rarely helped much.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on January 07, 2016, 10:53:15 AM
I wasn't encouraged by the look of the OF-40's and Leopard 1A5's stat blocks.

But after playing them for awhile, and some module upgrades, they ended up being quite fun.  Their guns are excellent for their tier, firing fast and very accurately.  The tanks themselves are pretty quick for MBTs. 

Frankly, my MBTs get constantly penned and damaged from the front anyway.  Due to all the weak points the developers have placed on them, the accuracy and often short engagement ranges on all the exceptionally hilly/urban maps full of junk and funnel points make it the norm to be close enough to aim for any small weak spot.   

I found it a bit more effective just to have high HP and a fast-aiming, fast-firing, and accurate gun instead of trying to rely on armor bounces.   Pretty sure my effectiveness dropped a bit when I moved up into the Leopard 2AV.  Everything was slower & less accurate on it.  The increased armor rarely helped much.

  Yep.  My experience is that you get blown up when you get overwhelmed from multiple angles and not by having people snipe at your armor from far away.  So in this game (though not apparently in reality) a lightly armored MBT that is relatively fast with good view distance and gun system is a pretty good vehicle to play.  It also curbs my tendency to get a "scout" and go roving and die fast.  Better for me to be forced to move more circumspectly, though I still have the most fun taking a scout and leading the drive into the enemy -- that is always a function of a team with a good idea of what it wants to do on a map that is good for scouts and has an obvious attack route (River Point or maybe Cold Something).

Nefaro

#66
I go rushing in, at the lead, far less with scouts.  Pushing is for MBTs IMO. 

Scouts have such amazing spotting range (best in the game), especially with the extra module slotted for it, that they shouldn't be trying to rush up into close range.  Their only survivability is stealth and quickness and half of that is out the window if they're getting close enough to be spotted.

I've seen numerous matches where some dead teammate is complaining about people in scout vehicles not suicide rushing straight through the enemy lines.  That's just a good way to die quickly without doing much for the team, but I still see impatient people doing it and complaining about others not doing same. 

I try to keep my IFV either close to a group of pushing MBTs, to lend them the longer ranged spotting or, if nobody's pushing nearby, finding a high spot with a bush & a good field of view until they do.  You can't survive long when spotted in a scout and the enemy will deliberately target you over most others due to that fact.  Gotta be sneaky and play to your strength as support.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on January 07, 2016, 02:19:02 PM
I go rushing in, at the lead, far less with scouts.  Pushing is for MBTs IMO. 

Scouts have such amazing spotting range (best in the game), especially with the extra module slotted for it, that they shouldn't be trying to rush up into close range.  Their only survivability is stealth and quickness and half of that is out the window if they're getting close enough to be spotted.

I've seen numerous matches where some dead teammate is complaining about people in scout vehicles not suicide rushing straight through the enemy lines.  That's just a good way to die quickly without doing much for the team, but I still see impatient people doing it and complaining about others not doing same. 

I try to keep my IFV either close to a group of pushing MBTs, to lend them the longer ranged spotting or, if nobody's pushing nearby, finding a high spot with a bush & a good field of view until they do.  You can't survive long when spotted in a scout and the enemy will deliberately target you over most others due to that fact.  Gotta be sneaky and play to your strength as support.

I agree that ideally a scout does scouting better by staying near the push, but if there's no push (which seems to happen fairly often), things get more complicated fast.  Lately, I've been using missiles to try to unstick the enemy.  Sometimes that sort of works.  Other times I've found myself with the push pulling back from around me and no obvious enemies in sight.  Often I just drive too fast and that's the end of me.
Anyway, the OF-40 has the advantage of restraining me -- plus it does okay in the scout zone around the main push.  Maybe I can learn to scout better by playing scouts more like i play the OF-40.

jomni

#68
My play style is generally sitting back and sniping. I really find the swingfire fun but missiles are weak.  I just bought a Chieftain. Solw bugger.

But when I play scout or AFV, I like to go flank and sneak from behind. But if everyone does not go to the right place and sit back. I will die soon.

I do literally run in circles around big tanks, then switch on autoaim. :)

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2016, 08:06:41 PM
My play style is generally sitting back and sniping. I really find the swingfire fun but missiles are weak.  I just bought a Chieftain. Solw bugger.

But when I play scout or AFV, I like to go flank and sneak from behind. But if everyone does not go to the right place and sit back. I will die soon.

I do literally run in circles around big tanks, then switch on autoaim. :)

Scouts are such fun!  But in my experience, generally if the push is good the scout survives and if not -- the scout is dead.  With an OF-40 I can survive and even tip the game when things are down to only a few players left.
I just got the Fox and have not done very well in it yet.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 08, 2016, 09:32:20 AM
Quote from: jomni on January 07, 2016, 08:06:41 PM
My play style is generally sitting back and sniping. I really find the swingfire fun but missiles are weak.  I just bought a Chieftain. Solw bugger.

But when I play scout or AFV, I like to go flank and sneak from behind. But if everyone does not go to the right place and sit back. I will die soon.

I do literally run in circles around big tanks, then switch on autoaim. :)

Scouts are such fun!  But in my experience, generally if the push is good the scout survives and if not -- the scout is dead.  With an OF-40 I can survive and even tip the game when things are down to only a few players left.
I just got the Fox and have not done very well in it yet.

  I'm doing better, but not in the Fox.  I'm being more cautious with most items, but (of course), my best battle was on Lost Island.  I had a Leopard 1 with all the fixin's and threw caution to the winds and got 3 kills (two Pattons and an object 59 -- most ever for me) and took the enemy base.

jomni

How come I suddenly have an M41, Patton, M60 in my garage?

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on January 13, 2016, 09:08:17 AM
How come I suddenly have an M41, Patton, M60 in my garage?

  Gifts? 

  Meanwhile -- camo is going to be coming up so you can sort of customize vehicles (and get a 0.03 addition to your camo factor).


Nefaro

Big rewards event this week, for a few hours around primetime. 

+400%/+100% plus extras..?

Plus something about the Chinese tanks being added.