Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2016 Announced

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 09, 2015, 02:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

My first five minute impression.....the screens are the same as PFS and the menu bar is the same as PFS, just wrapped in some different colors and graphics.  Haven't gotten into actually functionality, stats, and such....but on the surface, looks like a reskin so far....of course only a few minutes in:)

Grim.Reaper

From what I can see, maybe two new options/screens...

1)  Set a training program...some basic options.
2)  Create a custom playbook...haven't looked deep yet

*  That's likely why they spoke about those two features in the blog, since everything else already existed

Besides that, on the surface looks the same.......fingers crossed the AI/engine saw improvements.....I am going to do a pre-season quick test because one of my big issues from PFS was related to pre season game sub management.

Grim.Reaper

I posted this on their forum too, but my initial thoughts...at a high-level, I would recommend trying the demo first.....originally I was going to purchase but at least with this first version, it does not seem drastically different to me to warrant spending another $35 on it.....

On the surface with the demo, the screens, menus, options, etc. are largely the same as PFS, but with some different colors and graphics. The training and custom playbook features look new, but everything else roughly looks like same. Can't speak to the actual engine (AI and stats) since not enough time, although one of my biggest issues I had with PFS still exists and might actually have taken a step backwards.

Pre season game roster/sub management......the game does not play backups/starters realistically during pre season games. Even with the strategy to play backups set, my starters (including my QB and RB) played the whole game and in fact my starting QB got hurt in the 4th QTR of pre season game #1. Also I had RB committee selected and my starting RB received all carries in the pre season game.

It certainly will take more time for final judgement, but to me this initial release looks largely like a move to a new UI (although not really drastically new since most screens/menus still are the same, just different colors and graphics). But my initial impression is I believe I originally paid $19 for PFS and not sure why at this point I would spend another $35 without any major advancements. I do hope they stick with it and future versions improve the game.

Grim.Reaper

hhmm...yeah, not looking good so far for me and oddly looks like some things have gone backwards....

Just completed a season where I have strategy set to use my RBs in a committee.....for the entire season, only (2) RBs touched the ball.....one ran the ball 475 times, while the other 6.  If I am not mistaken, the NFL records is around 416. 

Hate to say it, I think our best opportunity for a good and realistic American football simulation lies with the new version of FOF coming out in 2016.....

KyzBP

Thanks for the update Grim.  I had a feeling this was going to happen. :'(  Like you, I don't really need a second version of PFS.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: KyzBP on December 24, 2015, 08:31:11 AM
Thanks for the update Grim.  I had a feeling this was going to happen. :'(  Like you, I don't really need a second version of PFS.

And that is exactly what it feels like.....although I thought this version would move to a new UI, I thought they would actually improve the UI.  But the screens are nearly exactly the same, except being different colors and having a few sprinkled graphics.  Really no attempt to improve anything.  Although I want to support them, I can't justify paying $35 for something I paid $19 years ago with no major advancement. 

Too bad.....although I was skeptical, thought it might have something worth purchasing.......:(

KyzBP

I guess I remain baffled.  Anyone even casually following the constant stream of disappointment in the American Football Management Sim community can see that the products continually released fall short of what the community clambers for: A more detailed/in depth version of Front Page Sports Football Pro series with at least Madden 05 graphics.  It must have multi-player options, and little things like "Running Back By Committee" should work.  I honestly believe the Lions will play the Browns in a Super Bowl before a game like this is produced.

The long wait continues.  :-\

Grim.Reaper

sad for sure...this certainly is not the holy grail:(

Nefaro

The recurring Football management sim issue is that the handful of rough and unfinished old versions are just getting small touch-ups and being re-released.   :-\

That little roster table screenshot posted months ago kinda tipped me off in this case, as mentioned before in this thread.  I had hoped it would be a full conversion into a new UI, but it's not.  Hopefully they make advancements over the next few years because PFS had potential if enough is done to get it there.

I recall making my own offensive playbook in PFS, although the interface for it was painful & simplistic.  At least that has been improved, from what Grim mentioned.  I had been getting sick of getting too many End Around plays called every game in PFS (often 1-3 per game!) so I dug around and found the playbook.  Turns out there were more than one End Around plays in the list, IIRC, so the ratio was higher than it should've been.  It was just a list with a transfer <-> on/off for each but you had to choose as you went down the list or start again, so it's functionality wasn't done at the time.

Grim.Reaper

No doubt it has always baffled me as to why American Football continues to lag behind other sports, for goodness sake they have day of the week dedicated to them for "NFL Sunday" :)

I continued to play around with this version and it "may" have some bright spots....some of the stats I was seeing were related to depth chart issues that I am guessing they can correct and there is a workaround for it.  Pre season still bothers me, but the developer reached out to me and said they were interested in improving that so I provided feedback.  Handful of other tweaks needed, but maybe it will grow on me.

Don't get me wrong, still largely the same game as PFS, but "if" the developer at least continues tweaking and improving the engine itself, might be something worth tinkering with until the next FOF or OOTP football...still also think $35 for a reskin was not a great idea for the first version, they should have done for $20-$25 (or at least offered initial discount to existing owners) to entice people to buy it and then when major enhancements included next year, then increase the price...but that is their choice.

Grim.Reaper

Have to be fair to them.....they actually released a patch today on Xmas which did correct a number of stat issues.....still a number of other issues to address, but maybe if they are committed to frequent patching and actually listening to the people, maybe it be something worth purchasing.  Even with its warts, I likely would have bought it by now if it was a cheaper price, but going to still hold off for now, but if enough progress is shown, may end up buying.

KyzBP

You put me back on the fence.  If they show solid support and dedication to this title then I'll purchase it, if for no other reason than to allow them to develop a better game in the future.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: KyzBP on December 25, 2015, 08:07:55 PM
You put me back on the fence.  If they show solid support and dedication to this title then I'll purchase it, if for no other reason than to allow them to develop a better game in the future.

That's kind of how I am feeling...may wait for another couple of patches just to confirm they won't abandon the support like Wolverine typically does after awhile:)  Just make the purchase knowing what it is and is not....if you think this is far different than PFS, then you'll be disappointed.  If you think it is basically the same UI and game features, but with possibly improved stats, then it might be worth getting.

Nefaro

Brooks, the developer for PFS, put out regular updates to that previous version for a few years.  Near the end there were large expanses between them but at least it wasn't a 3-and-out with the updates, nor was it completely abandoned. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he updates steadily for awhile before starting on next year's.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on December 25, 2015, 10:43:02 PM
Brooks, the developer for PFS, put out regular updates to that previous version for a few years.  Near the end there were large expanses between them but at least it wasn't a 3-and-out with the updates, nor was it completely abandoned. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he updates steadily for awhile before starting on next year's.

I would agree but the publisher wolverine has the opposite reputation so hopefully the developer over rules in this case:)