How many times have you moved?

Started by MetalDog, October 23, 2015, 08:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MetalDog

I just saw someone who asked if it was normal to have moved 15 times.  And I immediately tried to remember how many times I had moved.  Looking back, I can count 18 total in three states.  It may be more, I'm sure I've forgotten one or two, especially from the days when I was under 5 or 6 years old.  And, tangentially, how many of you have never lived more than 40 miles from where you were born?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

I think I've lived in about 22 different places. Two different countries and two different states within one of those countries. Also, I now live about 3655 miles from where I was born.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Con

I lost count when I got over 40 moves.  My dad was in the oil industry so every three years we moved to a new country. I can offhand think of 12.  We then moved several times within the country.  In between moves I would move back to the grandparents farm in Germany.  Military school in Scotland.  Brief stint in the UK armed forces active reserves to pay for university (in England) meant many trips back to Germany for the BAOR barracks.  And by moved I mean anything longer than 3 months. 
Then to the US for the first time where I moved to about a half dozen different places in Boston over 10 years.  Then moved to Colorado, back to Boston again moving around 8 times before finally buying a house in 2007 and havent moved since

Con
Aside its 4480.2 miles from Boston to where I was born

MetalDog

I bet you learned to travel light!  That's a pretty impressive list, Con.  I suspect it's only to be rivaled by those who were military kids/adult service members.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Con

It was good practice for my job which now has me travelling internationally about 1 week out of 4.  I think I lucked out getting a such a good global education as the world we live in is a much more multicultural place than even 10 years prior.

MetalDog

What would you say you learned from all that travelling?  About the world itself and how the U.S. is viewed from outside?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Con

Thats a chat for over a beer! O0

I would say that before anyone criticizes anything they live in they should spend time living outside of it.  It does provide a perspective that makes you appreciate what you have and what you could do better

Con

MetalDog

Deal!  Shooting for Origins next June.  You in?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Moved 4 times all within the same town. Whenever the grass gets too high....
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

The summer I hit 32 was my 32nd move.  Since then I've had 5.  I only plan for maybe 2 more: retirement home, then a grave.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Let's see.

3 times in the same town while I was a kid.
Twice in the same province while the military.
4 different rental places while attending university.
Once back to my hometown after finishing university.
Once to South Korea for work.
Once to Saipan for 3 months.
Once to Poland for a year.
Three times in Japan over 9 years.
Three times in Thailand over a year.
9 times since I returned to Canada in 2008.


28 times.



MetalDog

That's an impressive resume as well.  Any perspective you care to share regarding what you've learned from travelling and the places you've lived?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Silent Disapproval Robot

Doesn't matter what country you're in.  Bitches be crazy.

bob48

If we're just talking about moves since leaving home after getting married, then 3.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

About 15 total for my lifetime, and I currently live about 100 miles from where I was born.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd