James Doohan Bio Details

Started by LongBlade, October 28, 2015, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

Quote from: W8taminute on October 29, 2015, 04:27:22 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 28, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
I have an James Doohan autographed Star Trek technical manual. Pretty cool.

I think he also went on record saying one of his least favorite episodes of "Star Trek" was "The Way to Eden" (space hippies take over the ship). I was not a bit surprised. (and I tend to agree with his assessment....)

I always thought of Doohan and Nimoy as my favorite actors in the series. Decent men with a good grasp of the profession.

"The Way to Eden" was one of my favorite episodes.  It's chock full of awesome quotes some of which I use even today.   O0

Are you One, Herbert?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I always thought they were after a frozen dessert. "Sherbert, Sherbert, Sherbert."
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 29, 2015, 09:55:48 PM
That ship sure seemed to get taken-over quite a lot. How many times in 2 seasons? Eight, ten, twelve? Space Hippies, drunk crew members, Spock, the god Apollo, the computer system once, bunch of alien super races-- remember the living Lava Guy who put Lincoln on board? Did I leave anyone out? Must be a couple I forgot about.  :P

Charlie X. I have a real love/hate relationship with that episode. It has some great scenes of Yeoman Rand in a nightie but the scene where Charlie removes the crews' faces creeps me out to this day.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

I forgot about the ghost of Jack the Ripper episode.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

There are actually a few episodes from TOS that are fun to watch around Halloween.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on October 30, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
There are actually a few episodes from TOS that are fun to watch around Halloween.

Like the very first episode I ever watched, ever. "The Man Trap"

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 30, 2015, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 30, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
There are actually a few episodes from TOS that are fun to watch around Halloween.

Like the very first episode I ever watched, ever. "The Man Trap"



One of the first I saw as well. I was too young to know that main characters wouldn't die and just knew that thing was going to kill Kirk.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

From the episode 'what happens after a night with mirth'?

mirth

I've dated a few chicks that would make the green space hag seem like a good option.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Who am I kidding? ...I've dated more than a few.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Isn't she running for President?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 30, 2015, 03:35:13 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 30, 2015, 02:29:38 PM
Isn't she running for President?

Insert braying lol here.

There's a joke in there about mirth, the hag from Star Trek, elections, and Ross Perot's quote about a giant sucking sound, but I'm too lazy to look for/create a meme about it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: DoctorQuest on October 30, 2015, 08:51:35 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 29, 2015, 09:55:48 PM
That ship sure seemed to get taken-over quite a lot. How many times in 2 seasons? Eight, ten, twelve? Space Hippies, drunk crew members, Spock, the god Apollo, the computer system once, bunch of alien super races-- remember the living Lava Guy who put Lincoln on board? Did I leave anyone out? Must be a couple I forgot about.  :P

Charlie X. I have a real love/hate relationship with that episode. It has some great scenes of Yeoman Rand in a nightie but the scene where Charlie removes the crews' faces creeps me out to this day.

Wasn't there an indie Trek film that revisits Charlie X? IIRC, it had some actors from some of the various Trek tv show incarnations in it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys