Gateway Games into Computer Wargaming?

Started by spelk, December 17, 2015, 05:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

i took Les The Sarge's (!!) advice and jumped straight into WitP

My very first was Panzer General, which i loved as a strategy game without even knowing what i was playing, this was long before my interest in WW2 and history, then made my way through Civ 2, 3, 4 and 5 but 2 was my secret lover, and the early Total Wars

After PG and Civ 2 was a haitus of run of the mill games, mainly football manager then started a lan party company and with that came Company of Heroes and Dawn of War, when that stopped i found Wargamer and became less main stream, found WitP and that was it for about 5 years, then got back into AAA titles but can still grog out on occassion

Nefaro

I think you guys are on the right track.  When mentioning "gateway" wargames, I tend to think of those that may not be hardcore wargames, but still a stepping stone along the way. 

The newcomers tend to be those who have played Total War, X-Com,  Civ etc for awhile and eventually start branching out into more niche wargame stuff.

That's why I'm always interested in reading newer disciples' journey into it.  I've not experienced that initial leap since I was a kid, so I know little of the modern induction process.  ;D  Would be nice to know out of general curiosity.

Tinkershuffle

I think Company of Heroes and Wargame-series are great gateway games nowadays. CoH started my interest in WW2 gaming couple of years back and W:ALB did the same thing with modern warfare. I had played games like Total War, Fantasy General, Warlords etc. a lot when I was younger so I wasn't scared of turn based gaming. A lot of my friends think turn based games are too boring even to try them and that's one of the main reasons what is preventing them from the taking the leap to so called "real" wargames.

besilarius

As a Gateway vehicle, if a new gamer were interested in trade, then either the Patrician series or Porte Royale might grab their interest.
Neither are by any stretch a WARgame, but require strategy and planning to succeed.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

chemkid

#19
i'd say panzercorps - my first 'wargame', too - (arma2 doesn't count because my hardware wasn't able to deliver...)
after panzercorps i found the later games of the 'close combat series' quite attractive and playable - panthers in the fog and gateway to caen.

cheers!
chem!