Aurora 4X anyone play

Started by jamus34, January 20, 2016, 10:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: bobarossa on January 20, 2016, 02:57:11 PM
The game has something called a construction interval (set on the intro screen, although you may have to hit 'save' or something for it to take effect after the first time).  This is the minimum amount of time the game will wait until it recalculates industrial/shipyard/research output.  I have set my games up for 1 second less than 5 days (431,999 seconds, I think; exactly 5 days worth didn't seem to work correctly).  That way I can expect industrial updates to occur each time I hit the '5-days' button (and it goes 5 full days).  The Events window tells you how much time elapsed and what happened.

Looks like the default is set to 400,000. 

For 1 second short of 5 days yes, it's 431,999 seconds.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Kushan

Quote from: bobarossa on January 20, 2016, 04:06:35 PM
That ship that ran out fuel, did it have a default order set for refueling.  I haven't noticed a limit on turn length except for when default orders are present.  You also may trying disabling that message in the event screen's filter (at bottom of window).  I was using the basic download without the launcher.  Saw a lot of people having problems with missing files (dll's) with the launcher so I stuck with what I knew would work.  I was too far into my latest game to start over when 7.00 came out.

It was on its way to refuel when it ran out. It was in the outer system when the condition to refuel was triggered. Had it set go 40% but that cut it too short. I've had one missing dll error. Happens when I try to open the system menu.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

jamus34

Ok, got it running.

Maybe tomorrow I'll actually get to starting a game  :P
Insert witty comment here.

bobarossa

If you have any default orders when a ship is out of fuel you will get shortened cycles and messages. Very annoying.  I clear them after setting up a rescue ship.  Sometimes I forget to set the default back up after refueling.

Sparhawk

I spent several hundred hours on this game while I was between jobs six years ago. It sucked me in so deep I kept a composition book with all my ship and component builds. I just now perused a list of ships I had designed and, oh boy, intense. I'll just say this, you need to get your fire control dialed in, and you better have speed enough to choose your engagement distance without being closed upon. The biggest limitation I came up against was lack of resources enough to maintain a large enough defense fleet even with a several system mining network. Actually probably pretty realistic.

OJsDad

I think the made adjustments to resources so your less likely to run out. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

spelk

This has me hankering after the old Jeff McBride game of Stars!

http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Main_Page

My copy won't run under Windows 8 :(

Staggerwing

Quote from: spelk on January 22, 2016, 07:09:18 AM

Set up a VM?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

spelk

Kushan

Thanks for posting spelk.

Episode 02 is now live

Created a thread in the Digital AAR's section for all my future videos in this series
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Boggit

Quote from: spelk on January 22, 2016, 07:09:18 AM

I never played Aurora, but have played Stars! I've just seen Kushan's video and you're right. It looks VERY similar. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

TacticalWargames

Not sure if it's a Win 10 thing or not but I can't get it working. Used to run fine on Win 7.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 05, 2016, 10:34:06 AM
Not sure if it's a Win 10 thing or not but I can't get it working. Used to run fine on Win 7.

Runs fine on my Win10 rig.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CptHowdy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 05, 2016, 10:45:04 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 05, 2016, 10:34:06 AM

Runs fine on my Win10 rig.

runs fine on my windows 10 tablet

TacticalWargames

Hmm..not that then. Will look into it. Thanks.