San Bernadino, Apple and Data Encryption

Started by mirth, February 17, 2016, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

The FBI is not asking Apple to retrieve the data. It is asking Apple to write and install a version of iOS that circumvents the passcode protections. If Apple does that, the FBI will crack the passcode and data encryption.

If Apple writes and installs a version of iOS with the backdoor that the FBI wants, the FBI will then have the phone and the compromised version of iOS. They will also have a precedent of forcing a private company to write a compromised version of its software for the government to use.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

actually, the FBI isn't looking for Apple to decrypt the phone, the FBI will do that.  Just change those two settings, and the FBI will take over. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Quote from: OJsDad on February 25, 2016, 08:44:12 PM
actually, the FBI isn't looking for Apple to decrypt the phone, the FBI will do that.  Just change those two settings, and the FBI will take over.

As Mirth said, the FBI wants to set a precedent of forcing a company to deploy a FBI-friendly version of it's software at the FBI's convenience to overwrite what is already on a device. Once that happens there is no effing way that the genie goes back in the privacy lamp since the rest of law enforcement is already queuing up to get their own cracked iOS.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

There's some irony in the thought that Apple is the last bastion of protection for individual privacy.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bison on February 25, 2016, 10:32:53 PM
There's some irony in the thought that Apple is the last bastion of protection for individual privacy.

Not really. Their self concern about iOS's market share in relation to it's uncrackability is just another serendipitously tough brick in the slowly crumbling Firewall of Privacy.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 25, 2016, 10:26:13 PM

As Mirth said, the FBI wants to set a precedent of forcing a company to deploy a FBI-friendly version of it's software at the FBI's convenience to overwrite what is already on a device. Once that happens there is no effing way that the genie goes back in the privacy lamp since the rest of law enforcement is already queuing up to get their own cracked iOS.

That's not the way I understood the news report but granted that could be either due to me playing trying MOO while watching the news or the reporting itself. It sounded like all the FBI wanted was the information on the phone.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

What the Judge ordered was Apple to decrypt one phone.  You are confusing two different issues.

It is well established that if you go to a judge, obtain a search warrant, that individuals and firms have to cooperate. 

It is another issue entirely that the US Government order a company to have a "backdoor" on devices that allow the government to search with or without a warrant.

bayonetbrant

Yes, but there's already a dozen other cases waiting for this precedent so they can rush to the courthouse and use it to force Apple to decrypt others, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: airboy on February 26, 2016, 11:20:26 AM

What the Judge ordered was Apple to decrypt one phone.  You are confusing two different issues.

It is well established that if you go to a judge, obtain a search warrant, that individuals and firms have to cooperate. 

It is another issue entirely that the US Government order a company to have a "backdoor" on devices that allow the government to search with or without a warrant.

I recommend you read the court order. Specifically Sections 2 and 3.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6053155/in-the-matter-of-the-search.0.pdf
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 26, 2016, 11:25:52 AM
Yes, but there's already a dozen other cases waiting for this precedent so they can rush to the courthouse and use it to force Apple to decrypt others, too.

Yup.

https://theintercept.com/2016/02/23/new-court-filing-reveals-apple-faces-12-other-requests-to-break-into-locked-iphones/

mirth

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on February 26, 2016, 12:38:56 PM
https://motherboard.vice.com/read/apple-fbi-should-ask-the-nsa-to-hack-shooters-iphone

The FBI doesn't want to run to the NSA every time it wants to peek inside an iPhone. It wants to set the precedent now that Apple just will have to create a cracked iOS release to go with every iOS version that is involved in an FBI investigation from here on in. There will no legal difference between this one iPhone and an iPhone used by some drug dealer, crooked politician, Call Girl with an interesting client list, or Four Star General having a fling with his comely biographer.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing