Main Menu

FRIDAYstruck

Started by JudgeDredd, March 18, 2016, 04:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

undercovergeek

I lost 4 hours of Sunday playing minecraft with junior - it's on creation mode so all resources are available and we just started building stuff and making underground dens with railways connecting them - totally brilliant and lost all track of time

Toonces

I spent the entire weekend with CMANO only, mostly playing with the editor.  Now that I'm starting to get the hang of it, it is very clear that the folks that programmed this game really put some thought into it.  I find myself seeing layers of depth to the editor that aren't immediately apparent until you want to do something really clever...and to find that they thought of it and programmed it in there is pretty neat.

I don't think I've been this interested in an editor since I started working on Falcon 4 campaigns many years ago.  I have a lot of ideas....lots.  I hope I can implement some of them.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Finally got around to upgrading CMBN to 3.0. Just in time to be left behind again by the Vehicle Pack, new DLC Campaign, and shortly CMFB.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

In accordance with the prophecy, I played a DC3:Barbie turn against Barth -- which, wow, no spoilers but the game just took a potentially sharp turn in mid-August! And I got a week's update posted on my FortressCraft AAR, although I'm thinking of reducing the update rate even farther as it's such a slowly developing game it's hard for me to maintain interest in regular updates. (And if I'm not interested in it, why would any readers be??)

Mostly this weekend, though, when I could game, I worked my way through most of Ryse: Son of Rome -- started the final act (looping back around to the prologue act) before going to bed last night. It's a fun and gorgeous if oddly stuttery 3rd Person Cinematic Brawler. (By "oddly stuttery", I mean my system can clearly handle the specs but moving with any speed creates a sort of smooth jerky effect. It's weird.) As with many people around here, it makes me want to play another more strategic Rome game.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 21, 2016, 11:57:03 AM
In accordance with the prophecy, I played a DC3:Barbie turn against Barth -- which, wow, no spoilers but the game just took a potentially sharp turn in mid-August!
.....

Thought you might find that turn .... interesting.....  ;)

Boggit

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 21, 2016, 10:14:31 AM
Finally got around to upgrading CMBN to 3.0. Just in time to be left behind again by the Vehicle Pack, new DLC Campaign, and shortly CMFB.
I can thoroughly recommend the vehicle pack as it adds some really unusual and often very useful stuff into the mix. You will need it for Battle Pack 1, which I bought over the weekend. The BP1 looks good at first glance, but I haven't really had much chance to try it out yet, as too much other stuff is going on.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 21, 2016, 04:02:31 AM
I lost 4 hours of Sunday playing minecraft with junior - it's on creation mode so all resources are available and we just started building stuff and making underground dens with railways connecting them - totally brilliant and lost all track of time
If junior likes Minecraft, then check out Fortresscraft evolved. My two love it and the laggy problem seems to be fixed with the last update. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

To be fair, FCraftE is much more topically focused than Minecraft. This could be a plus or a minus.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Father Ted

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 21, 2016, 04:02:31 AM
I lost 4 hours of Sunday playing minecraft with junior - it's on creation mode so all resources are available and we just started building stuff and making underground dens with railways connecting them - totally brilliant and lost all track of time

Great stuff - sounds more like a gain than a loss!  My herberts are 18 and 17 and they very occasionally deign to let the Old Man make a chump of himself in some game with them.  Our most recent effort was in Rocket League...

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 22, 2016, 01:56:09 PM
To be fair, FCraftE is much more topically focused than Minecraft. This could be a plus or a minus.
That's true. My pair have both games so can pick whichever they want. FWIW, I think FCE is a far slicker presentation, although MC has so many mods to choose from. Even the Boss plays MC, although she hasn't woken up to FCE, which my daughter's quite good at.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Dimitris

Quote from: Toonces on March 21, 2016, 08:13:09 AM
I spent the entire weekend with CMANO only, mostly playing with the editor.  Now that I'm starting to get the hang of it, it is very clear that the folks that programmed this game really put some thought into it.  I find myself seeing layers of depth to the editor that aren't immediately apparent until you want to do something really clever...and to find that they thought of it and programmed it in there is pretty neat.

I don't think I've been this interested in an editor since I started working on Falcon 4 campaigns many years ago.  I have a lot of ideas....lots.  I hope I can implement some of them.

Thanks  :) There is some even better stuff on the way.
Command: Modern Operations
https://command.matrixgames.com/

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 21, 2016, 10:14:31 AM
Finally got around to upgrading CMBN to 3.0. Just in time to be left behind again by the Vehicle Pack, new DLC Campaign, and shortly CMFB.

I almost pulled the trigger on this today too. Is it worth getting the upgrade?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2016, 04:10:31 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 21, 2016, 10:14:31 AM
Finally got around to upgrading CMBN to 3.0. Just in time to be left behind again by the Vehicle Pack, new DLC Campaign, and shortly CMFB.

I almost pulled the trigger on this today too. Is it worth getting the upgrade?
In my opinion it is worth it for the $10.

There are loads of improvements and I found the tactical ai noticeably better with troops reacting in combat more realistically. Now tanks really do need an infantry escort in close environments as they are blind as bat, slightly less so if the commander is exposed, but they tend to get hit in close proximity to enemy infantry.

Of course, I'd have really loved a "campaign" overlay a la Achtung Panzer for campaign battles, but I guess we won't see that anytime soon. :'(
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

#73
Quote from: Boggit on March 27, 2016, 06:06:00 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 27, 2016, 04:10:31 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 21, 2016, 10:14:31 AM
Finally got around to upgrading CMBN to 3.0. Just in time to be left behind again by the Vehicle Pack, new DLC Campaign, and shortly CMFB.

I almost pulled the trigger on this today too. Is it worth getting the upgrade?
In my opinion it is worth it for the $10.

There are loads of improvements and I found the tactical ai noticeably better with troops reacting in combat more realistically. Now tanks really do need an infantry escort in close environments as they are blind as bat, slightly less so if the commander is exposed, but they tend to get hit in close proximity to enemy infantry.

Of course, I'd have really loved a "campaign" overlay a la Achtung Panzer for campaign battles, but I guess we won't see that anytime soon. :'(

Thanks. I'll probably pick it up.

You still play Achtung Panzer, at all? I have it, but never really got into it.
  Nevermind, I thought you meant Panzer Command: Ostfront.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18