Content expansion at Steam

Started by Jarhead0331, April 25, 2016, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Steam is now offering movie rentals. Its similar to Amazon Prime or TV on demand. Not sure how I feel about this. Steam is my number 1 source for games and I'd like them to focus on that service. I don't want to deal with potential technical issues, bandwidth strain, liabilities, store page clutter, etc.

Thoughts? Is this good, bad? Are you indifferent?   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


CptHowdy

guess they need another revenue stream since they are giving out more refunds! i personally wont use it but hopefully they have a separate server for movies so any technical issues wont affect my gaming.

acctingman

That's why I have Xfinity and Netflix.

Steam needs to stick to games, but it's their choice. If this in any way affects my ability to game using Steam, I'll spend my money elsewhere.


sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2016, 01:24:03 PM
Steam is my number 1 source for games and I'd like them to focus on that service. I don't want to deal with potential technical issues, bandwidth strain, liabilities, store page clutter, etc.

Very much agree. Especially what you say about store page clutter. If Steam can keep its movie offerings totally sequestered to some tab that I never have to access -- so that the Steam I see is 100% games, which is what I want it for -- then I guess I have no problem with it. But if 'featured' content on the main page starts to blend games and movies -- that is going to suck.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 25, 2016, 01:47:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2016, 01:24:03 PM
Steam is my number 1 source for games and I'd like them to focus on that service. I don't want to deal with potential technical issues, bandwidth strain, liabilities, store page clutter, etc.

Very much agree. Especially what you say about store page clutter. If Steam can keep its movie offerings totally sequestered to some tab that I never have to access -- so that the Steam I see is 100% games, which is what I want it for -- then I guess I have no problem with it. But if 'featured' content on the main page starts to blend games and movies -- that is going to suck.

Its already blending. Take a look at the top of the store page and then go to new releases. Movies are blended in with games. There may be a way to adjust this, but I haven't had a chance to look yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


sandman2575

Wow. Prominent "Watch Lionsgate Movies Now On Steam" banner on storefront. I am not at all in favor of this.

Did they just launch this today? Did I somehow miss it before? Not logged into my acct. currently but please let there be some options to disable this......

sandman2575

Quote from: CptHowdy on April 25, 2016, 01:31:41 PM
guess they need another revenue stream since they are giving out more refunds! i personally wont use it but hopefully they have a separate server for movies so any technical issues wont affect my gaming.

Does Valve really need a new revenue stream?? My picture of Steam is that it is a mint that prints money for Gabe Newell and associates. I have no idea what their bottom line is, but man if Steam isn't hugely profitable just from the video game business -- well, I'd be very, very surprised.

Tpek

Steam seems to be veering itself into being the ultimate entertainment platform.

So how long before we get adult movies there? :P

jamus34

Well I think the writing was on the wall when they started carrying productivity software. They probably want a piece of digital distribution business period.
I'm OK with it as long as it does not increase their DRM and decrease bandwidth for gaming. If it affects the latter or increases the former I will be pissed. That said I already have a ton of money tied into the steam ecosystem.
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

I noticed this back a couple of months ago when Steam started offering all the Naruto movies and series eps for rental or purchase or whatever.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2016, 01:24:03 PM
Steam is now offering movie rentals. Its similar to Amazon Prime or TV on demand. Not sure how I feel about this. Steam is my number 1 source for games and I'd like them to focus on that service. I don't want to deal with potential technical issues, bandwidth strain, liabilities, store page clutter, etc.

Thoughts? Is this good, bad? Are you indifferent?
One word - diversification.

One phrase - don't keep all your eggs in one basket

I agree with your concerns and I share them...but diversification is (can) be a good thing for a company. How it will affect gamers, we'll have to see.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Sir Slash

If they start delivering pizzas, I'm leaving.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

So long as they're able to do it with minimum disruption to my Steam PC-gaming experience, I have no problem with it.  It's a business effort by them to diversify/expand their long-term revenue streams, and that's what I'd expect form any for-profit firm.

Whether that attempt at diversification works well for them or not will depend on a lot of factors.  It's an approach that worked poorly for firms like Dell or Enron, but worked better for firms like General Electric, Charles Schwab, or Disney.

Freaking out because 10% of your screen real estate is dedicated to movies strikes me as future-tripping.  Wait for bad stuff to happen before you actually jump up and down condemning it.

Jarhead0331

Justifying this as "diversifying" is nonsense. Stores that sell car parts don't "diversify" and sell toilet paper and mouthwash. Stores that sell furniture don't "diversify" and sell frozen food. There is such a thing as dedicated stores that actually strive to make profit by specializing in the sale of a singular class of product. Perhaps it's a more traditional approach, and digital media has permitted retailers to sell a wider range of products at minimal cost, but that doesn't mean it may not come with some risk or inconvenience to the customer.

Personally, I'm not "freaking" and I'm annoyed at the suggestion. Having the new release list cluttered with indie movies, productivity software, and even 20 year old games was annoying enough. Adding more crap to the list is a nuisance and one I could do without. It's ok to discuss concerns and potential problems that impact the hobby, now, before it becomes a real problem. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Raied

I do not mind them selling movies if it is not going to effect the gaming services. However as the store page is getting cluttered with those movies I think they should move any non gaming stuff to another tab/ page, just as they did with the utilities Software (I hope they do the same with those big titties anime story/ semi-games).