X-Men:Apocalypse

Started by JudgeDredd, May 19, 2016, 03:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Awful.

Ok - not absolutely terrible - but slow, REALLY badly implemented and obvious CGI in a lot of places and very cheesey at times. I mean - Deadpool was cheesey. Civil War had cheese. But they done it on purpose and with finesse. I don't think this even knew there was cheese around.

Not all bad though. Some good stuff. Quick Silver was superb as usual and the effects around him were done very well. The apocalyptic nature of the destruction was done very well also and actually not a bad story.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

imo of course.
Alba gu' brath

MetalDog

You're not giving me much hope there, JD.  Then again, I am a much bigger Avengers fan than X-Men, so, if it sucks, then, I am ok with that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Centurion40

I'm not surprised to read this mediocre review. The trailers left me feeling a bit "meh".
Any time is a good time for pie.

MetalDog

So I went and saw this tonight with my daughter and her friends.  My impression was epic, but boring.  Everything was done in a grand scale.  The destruction was global.  The stakes were the highest.  But I never really felt like anyone was in danger.  Of dying or failing.  I liked Sophie Turner as Jean Grey.  The kid they have playing Scott Summers was good.  And Nightcrawler, too.  Everyone else just seemed like they were...necessary.  They had to be in it in order for it to be a X-Men movie.  Otherwise, it could have been anyone.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Saw it along with Cap 3; obviously loved Cap 3 more, but I went into this with suitably lowered X-pectations, and I was pretty okay with it by the time it was done. Could have been a lot worse. It suffered from a major lack of ambition on the Horsemen, and the writers had a bad tendency to reuse previous plot elements. I have never liked Jen Lawrence as Mystique, and that continued. Nightcrawler was awesome as usual (despite new actor, and a personality entirely based on X2's version than the comics still, but good job with what they had). Magneto felt like he was underused once he joined the Horsemen, despite being the main cannon threat; otherwise a fine job from Fassbender as usual. Fascinating how much like Professor X James McElvoy (or however his name is spelled) turned out to be. Gratuitous Wolverine appearance was gratuitous and I usually like him a lot. Cyclops and Marvel Girl didn't do much for me, but I give them credit for trying. The constant lack of good theme music for the series didn't help (despite a fine score worthy of being iconized in First Class). Annoying attempt at tying Human Weapons of Mass Destruction into minority social justice is just as radically wrongheaded as always, but I'm used to that. Young Storm wasn't Halle Berry, and for that I can be grateful.

Despite my griping, I didn't feel like I had wasted my money or my time. A lot of the backlash I've seen and read, I don't really understand, but I suspect non-fans feel the whole thing takes itself too seriously and doesn't do a good job with what it's trying to take seriously, and fans meanwhile feel like potential was massively wasted (if not on the scale of wasting the Dark Phoenix saga for X3 -- but that's a movie I overall like better than this one.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

(Oh, and the Quicksilver save at the mansion was delightful, yet the writers have him show up for a very specific and important plot point, only to unexpectedly wuss out for no apparent reason other than to keep the main threat running a bit longer. BOOO! POOR WRITING!!)

While I'm a bit sour on the franchise, allow me to link to a Film Theory episode that shows something the series has, surprisingly, kept pretty consistent about how Magneto's powers work or don't work!

I watched that before X-Apoc, and kept track during the film, and yep they stayed consistent with it. Good job whoever's doing continuity on that!  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!