F1 2016 - NOT a wargame

Started by JudgeDredd, May 31, 2016, 12:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

But for any enthusiasts of F1 there's a 2016 coming out at some point (soon hopefully).



Sounds pretty good...a pre-purchase/day 1 purchase for me  O0

He mentions the "return" of the safety car, but I don't recall a Codies F1 game with a safety car...maybe it was just too long ago
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Redwolf

I was disappointed in the 2015 release. Very simplified. Crappy console interface. Really nothing like the F1 games of old where you can set up your car yourself.

Plus for some reason it insists that you cannot use a joystick. That's just idiotic, a joystick a perfectly fine hardware UI for center-focused, variable steering input.

Too bad they have an exclusive license.

JudgeDredd

#2
Thought I would update people on this game having 17 hours in it - I know there's a few into driving sims.

I've bought every one of these since Codemasters started the series. Whilst I am not one of those that thinks they've done a bad job, I'm also not one of those who thinks they've been outstanding. I've always viewed the series as a cross of sim and arcade but generally leaning to sim. Sure they've not got all the features of a sim - but I'm talking really about the driving aspect.

In general each of their games have been a hit in some aspects and a miss in others. I really can't think of any one particular one that stood out as head and shoulders above the rest. Probably their last game (or was it the one before) where they shamelessly stripped everything out and left a bare bones game was a slap in the face to anyone interested in the series.

However - I am please to say that I think they have released an absolute belter here.

I choose Manor Marussia and a full career mode meaning 2x90 and 1x60 minute practice sessions, full qualifying and full race. I was dubious about the full race, but actually it turned out great. You have unlimited flashbacks. Considered cheating by some, I love them. They help for those moments when you have to pause to go to the toilet or you pause to catch something on TV or are just interrupted through no fault of your own. Sitting back down and "getting in the swing of the drive" can be difficult and often leads to a lapse in concentration and a crash...hence my love for Flashbacks. You can also save the game or save and exit, allowing you to continue next sitting



Good Points
Immersion
The feeling of actually being in an F1 team is very much here - at last! Meeting your PA (manager?), the practice options, car upgrades, sitting on the grid, slowing for pit entry, safety car, manual starts, formation lap - everything is here to make you believe you are driving in the F1 world.

Practice
It now has a purpose. No longer is it about how the car feels, how the tyres hold out, what it feels like in full fuel. You are doing those things, but with a view to garnering points to assign to upgrades on the car. The more points you get the more upgrades you can get. I'm also pleased to inform you that not only are they difficult to do - so a challenge - but they seem to differ from team to team. I was in a Manor and finding the tyre management OK. I went to Renault, and found it much more difficult to gain any points.

Once you've had your fun on practice you get to choose the upgrade(s) you want to focus on. Each upgrade you highlight will show your cars improvement over the rest of the field.

Qualifying
Doing Full Qualifying is the full format. 3 sessions with the slowest being knocked out in each session. It's very immersive, setting a time and watching to see how you do. Of course in a Manor, I was never getting out of session 3.

Weather
Weather and lighting are fantastic. I was racing Melbourne which started off dry. Some rain started and it came to the point where I knew I needed intermediates on. So in the pits and inters were put on. Further on, the rain was getting heavier. This wasn't just noticeable on the track - it was noticeable on the screen and in the spray being kicked up. It really was seamless dry, light rain, heavy rain, light rain, dry again....very, very well done.

There was also a dry line being made as the heavy turned to light and then to dry.

Race
The race was great and the AI wasn't too shabby. It is of course, an AI - but it was quite aggressive (I have it on Expert). Not to the point of running you off the road, but it won't give like it used to - so you better make sure you keep on track - because contact will likely be made.

Yellow flags are implemented and also Virtual Safety Car. In my full race I didn't come across the VSC but the Safety Car was out once so it's not like the safety car is over used (anyone remember Nascar 2003?)

Blue flags are implemented and they seemed to be well implemented, though perhaps a bit early at times. I was jumped twice by a car I was racing by having to let a faster car through...so you'll have to be on your game with blue flags. And if you don't let them by, a stop go penalty will be awarded.

Communication
Quite good. Engineer was letting me know when a faster car was behind me and to let it through "We are not racing the car behind...".  You can select from a variety of options and the engineer responds with meaningful information. You can also tell him to reduce or increase his input and to shut up altogether - that's handy.

I highly recommend using a microphone - the options on the comms menu are many and the comms menu only stays up for 5 seconds - so driving, bringing up the menu, looking through the first page and the second page to get the option you want can be very trying and very hit and miss!

Rival
Early doors for rivals at the moment, but your team mate is your first rival. Points are awarded to you for when you better him (position, sector 1, sector 2 etc) and awarded to him when he beats you. It seems to be done pretty well. These points determine your position within the team and your position in the team will eventually influence any contracts that might be forthcoming.

Tyre Wear
It does seem to be very well modelled. You can certainly feel when the tyres are going off and getting past their best. Also, blistering is modelled visually which was a nice touch. I'd liked to have seen flat spots worked in also though.
Update - the marks on the tyres appear to be marbles from when going offline


Not So Good Points
I'm not calling them bad points, 'cos I don't think they are that bad.
Practice
The Practice element docked me a chance at some points because it said my pace was relative to position 22 in qualifying when my actual target was 21. However, my pace in practice was around 18th or something...so I found that odd (and as it happens, I did qualify 18th!).

Qualifying
It finished rather abruptly. What I mean by that is I was sitting in 14th and there were several cars on track - a lot of whom were going to beat me. But when the session ended, it simply ended...I didn't see each of the cars beating me...which they did and I ended up 18th. I would liked to have watched as one by one their times tumbled and they pushed me down.

Pits
Your car is still automated once you enter the pits. Why? I would like to drive into my pit box - though I do understand that without a pit limiter button it would be very hard to drive at a constant 37mph down the pits.

Formation Lap
Once you get round to the form up stage, your car is automated...again, why? It's great that the formation lap is here - but it would've been nice to take the car to the startup grid.

Comms
Very hard to go through the menus with the controls. Fast keys would've been handy, though they have implemented voice comms. This seemed to work pretty well, even with my Scottish accent.

Weather Forecast
I think this could be better implemented. I knew rain was coming, but it was a bit of guess work when it was going to hit. This made selecting the pit strategy a bit of a guess also.




So in summary, this is imo the best one by far - for giving you that F1 feeling, that sense of belonging, the feeling of having purpose in the team, the AI, - this really is gripping. I've deducted a couple of points for the auto take over of your car and the other "not so good" points.

Score : 8/10

If I find anything else during my season, I'll post here - especially if anything pops up that changes my mind.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Nice review...if I was into driving games (and had a wheel controller), I would certainly be all over it.....but just nothing that has ever clicked with me before.

Rekim

I follow F1. Don't usually play racing games but must admit this title has my interest. Thanks for sharing your thoughts JD.

Capn Darwin

I was disappointed in earlier versions of this series. Nowhere near the detail level of Grand Prix Legends and GT Legends/GTR Evolution Series (On Steam). Sounds like the 2016 is a better sim than before. I will keep an eye and maybe grab it later when it hits a sale.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

JudgeDredd

#6
So at the request of Asid on DoW forums, here's a little video of track familiarisation and tyre management tests

Bear in mind I literally woke up this morning, fired this up and jumped on track...so familiarisation of the track is rusty at first. Also for tyre management, I am on very used soft tyres - so not optimum at all. I had already maxed my points for both of these tests yesterday (as you can see from the opening few seconds) - so this was a run through to show how it works.

Track Familiarisation
So you have some "gates" to go through. You have to go through them at an optimum speed. Going through them slower than the optimum, and you will simply get a "green" light. Miss a gate, and you get a red light. Go through at optimum speed and go through "a set" of gates at optimum speed, and you get purple. It seems Perfect has some tolerance of green lights...I'm not sure how many, but as you can see, I had 3 green sectors and I got Perfect.

I believe you can run the test any number of times...though when you get 50/50, then that's good enough.

Tyre Management
This test involves 10 laps. The team chooses the tyre they want to test. You have to stay under a Target Lap Time (shown in the top right) in order for the lap to register. You get Red for heavy tyre wear and that gives you 5 points, Green for medium tyre wear and you get 10 points and for light use you get Purple and 15 points. Invalid laps times (going over the Target Lap Time) gets you a red lap but no points).

I don't know how the (optimum/expected) lap time is calculated - but it has nothing to do with anything going on in practice as far as I'm aware. That lap time does differ depending on the team you choose.

It makes absolute sense to do your track familiarisation before doing tyre management. The better you know the track, the less you'll be locking up and the better your entry and exit on corners, maximising your tyre endurance. So do track familiarisation first. I'd even say leave tyre management until near the end of the first practice or even until the next practice session...I don't believe you have to do them all in the one practice session.

As you can see from my tyre management section, tyre wear really does show in the game. I had set perfect scores on tyre management the previous practice session on fresh soft tyres. Using used, I was hardly able to grab a green never mind a purple lap!!

I've found both the above things really help with my lap times and familiarisation of the track. They also give the practice a meaning.

In the Tyre Management section (15:20) you can see Vettel squeezing up the inside of me into the hairpin at turn 1. The AI will do that. One of the "Not So Good" parts of the game is the mirror is blocked by the hud at the bottom right (of course, it wouldn't if I was a real simmer and sat down in the car properly!!). But you have to know the AI will do this a lot now.

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

kludger

Thanks for posting the videos and info JD.

The last of this series I bought was F1 2013 as they have seemed to be just skin updates each year since, but I'm glad to hear they've now added much more depth this year, I'll definitely be picking this up.

JudgeDredd

No problem. My pleasure.

I forgot to mention in more detail about the race start and manual starts.

It's a fantastic feature. No more does the AI go hurtling off down the pit straight to the first corner. It seems to work incredibly well...though I have only done Australia so far.

The AI isn't super outstanding at the first corner still, but it definitely seems to be much better than previous games.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Richie61

Quote from: Capn Darwin on September 03, 2016, 01:23:32 PM
Grand Prix Legends and GT Legends/GTR Evolution Series (On Steam).

Good games!

This is a great title too.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/273840

Great mods too.

I gave up on F1 2013  :-[
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

jomni

Looks fun even in practice mode.  Teaches you how to do a lap properly.  O0

Slick Wilhelm

Judge, do you have any experience with rFactor2 or iRacing? I'm a long time Grand Prix Legends online racer, looking to get into something more modern. Any suggestions?

GDS_Starfury

does the game accurately model Rosberg being a douchebag?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Bardolph

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on September 11, 2016, 09:02:15 PM
Judge, do you have any experience with rFactor2 or iRacing? I'm a long time Grand Prix Legends online racer, looking to get into something more modern. Any suggestions?

I'm not Judge but Im an old GPL fan from back when. I've messed with most of the sims out there at the moment except of course rFactor 1 or 2, and many of them along the way since GPL. GTR and family, Race 07 and family, Live for Speed, Forza, Gran Turismo and Grid Autosport, Raceroom Racing Experience, Project Cars, Game Stock Car Extreme and Automobilista, NetKar Pro etc etc.
I have to say that the online racing experience in iRacing has made it difficult for me to spend much time with the rest, even though many of them are still installed on my computer.

I avoided iRacing like the plague when it came out, and only recently gave it a try last year at the urging of a buddy. I went in pretty skeptical, I'd heard it called "iCeRacing" and whatnot. And it did take a little time to come to grips with driving the cars there. A new wheel and more importantly a set of load cell pedals certainly helped. But mostly it just took some time to learn the cars. And I took my time before I ever actually raced, I was under the impression that iRacing was much more strict than it actually is (still much more strict than any of the other sims, part of what makes it work) and was afraid to mess up. So I had a lot of practice before my first race. And there I was, on the grid in the lowly MX-5 with a bunch of other novices, and my heart rate was zooming like it never had in any other driving sim. These were real people, not bots, and iRacing would  track my performance. It... mattered. In a way it doesn't in other sims. And it was a blast.

I still get starting line jitters, though not as bad as that first race and I've made an effort to try and keep calmer for my own good lol. But the online racing against real people is simply unmatched. I like Pcars, and RaceRoom Racing Experience, and they both have online racing. But both lack the oversight that iRacing has and the races are quite often just a crashfest as there are no consequences. Not to say low level iRacing races are crash free, far from it, but troublemakers will find themselves in timeout, or banned entirely if stupid enough.

At any rate, after a year and little, I find it hard to take much interest at all in racing AI. It really isn't very satisfying. I was excited to hear a new version of Live for Speed was finally out after years, but when I ran against the AI there I lost all interest. It just wasn't exciting.

You can try iRacing out for pretty cheap for a month or three depending on what the current deal is. But my advice would be to go watch some iRacing vids by EmptyBox on Youtube and some of the other guys and if you think you would like it, buy a year at the new members price. You'll save a lot more $$ than buying the cheap month trial and then paying full price for a year if you like it.  You get the entry level cars and tracks for free, later on you will need to buy the cars and tracks you want to run depending on what series you want to race.

There are races in the lower, more populated classes nearly every hour, as you get into the fancier cars races are less likely to go official due to participation numbers but even then most series get several official races in each week.

Sorry to derail Judge's thread. To get back on topic I would note that F1 2016 was getting some fairly positive reviews on the iRacing forum and they have slammed the previous titles pretty hard. I've been half tempted to pick it up but I'm trying to learn how to drive the Lotus 49 for the upcoming season lol!

Cheers!

JudgeDredd

#14
Quote from: Bardolph on September 11, 2016, 11:20:15 PM
I'm not Judge
Phew!  ;D

Quote
...I took my time before I ever actually raced, I was under the impression that iRacing was much more strict than it actually is (still much more strict than any of the other sims, part of what makes it work) and was afraid to mess up. So I had a lot of practice before my first race. And there I was, on the grid in the lowly MX-5 with a bunch of other novices, and my heart rate was zooming like it never had in any other driving sim. These were real people, not bots, and iRacing would  track my performance. It... mattered. In a way it doesn't in other sims. And it was a blast.
I still get starting line jitters, though not as bad as that first race and I've made an effort to try and keep calmer for my own good lol. But the online racing against real people is simply unmatched.

I agree absolutely with iRacing. For online racing, it's hard to beat. rFactor comes close but with rFactor, you need a good community - otherwise you can have a mare. My experience of rFactor was mostly positive with most servers I joined having a good racing experience. But with no enforcing, it can be hit and miss. iRacing is monitored for you and penalties assigned appropriately and Bardolph is correct...the perception of the of the penalties is actually worse than the actual penalties...but it helps to keep good clean racing.

So Slick - to your question.

Yes I have played rFactor and rFactor2 and, like Bardolph, a whole host of fantastic racing games. Some proper sim, like GP Legends, others a bit lighter like pCars and RRE. I love driving games and the more sim like, the better. I think my ultimate gaming experience in driving sims was GTR2.

I couldn't compare these to F1 2016 though. F1 2016 gives something else all the other driving games I have do not give - an F1 experience. And for the first time, it does it really well. I really do feel immersed in the F1 world. However, in this iteration there's something else...a better AI. Honestly the game is like F1 itself. You could find yourself running the race with no-one around you. And slowly but surely the AI will be catching or you will catch one. And like F1, they can't hold off the inevitable and nor can you. If you are going to be overtaken because you're on older tyres, then you will be taken.

I had a Race in Dubai last night where the car in front had jumped me in the pits. It was a front runner to me anyway (Renault perhaps?). But anyway, I wasn't making any in-roads and about 5 or so laps gone, I started to notice I was catching him. Slowly but surely, I started to reel him in...and caught him. Why? He was on super soft tyres and I was on soft. I do believe that's why I noticed the difference. The reason I think that was the reason is because of the practice sessions. Running full practice, I could see not only how long the tyres were going to last, but also what they felt like as they started to degrade.

Also, how my driving affected the wear. For accelerating out of corners with your wheels "less than straight" will cause wear. Do this with a higher degree of turn in the wheels, and you'll notice the wear even more and you'll notice this when driving the practice laps for tyre wear.

When I caught the Renault, it wasn't a straight swap of spaces either. It can be if you do charge in...the AI will try and avoid you. If it can't, you'll make contact and this will likely result in a damaged wing - and that will affect your downforce in corners. So there's as much emphasis on you avoiding contact as there is the AI...but you can both go into a corner and duke it out and there doesn't have to be contact. I haven't had the AI hit me where I've actually thought "That wasn't my fault"...it has been my fault everytime, whether that be a too tight turn in, and over shoot under braking or lack of awareness...it has honestly been my fault each time.

The AI isn't without it's faults. But it is a whole decade better than it has been in any of it's other games imo. Some aspects are repetitive - cut scenes for example - but not overly so. The engineer coming up to you to hand you a sheet telling you how the research has gone between races, your PA coming up to you to tell you various things, your Engineer. The engineer is damned annoying actually on track. Hearing your engine is absolutely essential for changing up and down and him yacking about no inclement weather is just frustrating...made more so when he says it at the wrong times - but you can tell him to shut up and then ask him things with the excellent speech in game comms.

I've now performed 2x90 and 1x60 minute practice, full qualifying and full race at Australia and Dubai and I'm not in the least bored with any of it and am looking forward to China because it's put me in the game.

Overall, if you like driving F1 games, then I could not recommend this highly enough. YMMV - everyone's abilities are different. But imo this is the best F1 game out there if you're looking for an F1 experience with good AI, excellent tyre modelling, great driving model and a feeling of contributing to the team, then this has to be the one.

For the record, I'm driving one below the top AI level. My Marussia does seem to qualify well, but race wise it's a different story. Again, I think that's down to the tyre modelling because in Qualy, you can throw the car about and not care about the tyres. Do that in the race and your tyres won't last and you'll need an extra pit stop. Take care of your tyres and you will be caught by the cars you would imagine catching you.

In Australia, I qualified 18th and finished the race somwhere like 16th. In Dubai I qualified 8th and finished 14th. I don't really know if that side of it is porked - comparing it to real F1 - but I like the fact my car can get better.

Good
AI
Tyre modelling
Feeling of being in an F1 team
Driving model
Speech comms
Manual race starts
Safety Car
Virtual Safety Car

Not so good
AI - it's not always on the ball...but it is mostly
Safety Car - more an AI issue - the AI seems to take an age to catch up with the Safety Car sometimes and fluctuates it's speed considerably...there's no way I should get a safety car call, pit to change tyres, come out and not catch the safety car again before it's pulled in because the AI is driving too slow (or perhaps the Safety Car AI is driving too fast!)
Virtual Safety Car - this is likely AI also - they seem to fluctuate ALOT in driving style, causing you headaches trying to keep a delta

What I want to get to is not using the Flashback system - that certainly helps my position within a race. I don't mind using it if I have to get out the chair, cause it takes a bit to get back in the cockpit, but other than that (using it because I over cooked a corner), I should stop.

Crucially though, 2 races in (remember - FULL races...over 5 hours per race in total) and I've not got any points, though I have felt the experience rewarding. I've felt like progress has been made and, as such, points are a secondary issue to me. I'm beating my teammate. I'm getting resource points for development of the car. I'm finishing roundabout where I would imagine and having a hoot whilst doing it.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people