Looking for book(s) on the Archangel Campaign

Started by Wes, August 14, 2016, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wes

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has any recs covering Archangel. I'm looking for meaty material, Orbats/TO&E/Maps, etc.

Thanks in advance :)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Wes

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on August 15, 2016, 03:55:55 PM
You mean the 1918-19 campaign? "When Hell Froze Over" is a decent read.

https://www.amazon.com/When-Hell-Froze-Over-Halliday-ebook/dp/B003VTZWLO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471294496&sr=1-2&keywords=when+hell+froze+over

That would be the one...the number of names it goes under makes for a serious book hunt:

The North Russia Intervention
Northern Russian Expedition
Archangel Campaign
Murman Deployment

and that title should get me headed in the right direction...thanks :)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

airboy

I've read Russian Sideshow mostly focusing on the US campaign in Russian in 1918-1919.

https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Sideshow-Americas-Undeclared-1918%C3%BB1920-ebook/dp/1574884298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471554832&sr=8-1&keywords=russian+sideshow

It was interesting, but sad.  A totally miss-thought, under-resourced excursion with no clear strategy.

Wes

Quote from: airboy on August 18, 2016, 04:16:14 PM
I've read Russian Sideshow mostly focusing on the US campaign in Russian in 1918-1919.

https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Sideshow-Americas-Undeclared-1918%C3%BB1920-ebook/dp/1574884298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471554832&sr=8-1&keywords=russian+sideshow

It was interesting, but sad.  A totally miss-thought, under-resourced excursion with no clear strategy.

That one is on my list. It was a complete disaster and is a big part of what haunts us to this day with the Russians, Soviet or no Soviet. I read an article on the logistical side of the affair some time ago and am looking at building something to put on the table to go through the campaign.

Next on my list is the Battle of Batoche. That campaign has been on my back burner for awhile and I think will make for a good solitaire experience.
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.