Matrix holiday 2016 sale is here!

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 23, 2016, 06:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

Finally got SoW:Waterloo for $24.99, 50% off...been wanting it for a long time. Went through the in-game tutorial. It was pretty well done except for the very last part where you led some cavalry in a charge against infantry. Couldn't get it to work correctly. Will have to do some youtube searching for help.  Or god forbid....read the manual.   :-X

Greybriar

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 26, 2016, 07:06:38 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 25, 2016, 06:14:19 PM
Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided - amazingly a GG game you could conceivably complete in one (longish) sitting - a bit of an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Because it's GG's Axis vs Allies! Down to the map and counter design. (Though with plenty of extra computer-aided house rules.)

I purchased Axis vs Allies not long after its release in 1998. After purchasing Gary Grigsby's World At War in 2005, I was surprised to see how similar (identical?) the two games were.

Later I was unaware that Matrix had discontinued Gary Grigsby's World At War and replaced it with Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided. This wouldn't have been any big deal had I not been informed years later that Matrix had offered the owners of the original game a free upgrade to the new release. Unfortunately it was a limited time offer which had expired by the time I found out about it. :(
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Tuna

Quote from: Greybriar on December 22, 2016, 12:13:03 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 26, 2016, 07:06:38 PM
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 25, 2016, 06:14:19 PM
Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided - amazingly a GG game you could conceivably complete in one (longish) sitting - a bit of an overlooked gem in my opinion.

Because it's GG's Axis vs Allies! Down to the map and counter design. (Though with plenty of extra computer-aided house rules.)

I purchased Axis vs Allies not long after its release in 1998. After purchasing Gary Grigsby's World At War in 2005, I was surprised to see how similar (identical?) the two games were.

Later I was unaware that Matrix had discontinued Gary Grigsby's World At War and replaced it with Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided. This wouldn't have been any big deal had I not been informed years later that Matrix had offered the owners of the original game a free upgrade to the new release. Unfortunately it was a limited time offer which had expired by the time I found out about it. :(

Matrix loves to do the 'limited time' thing to irks it's customers. That's what stopped me at Distant World with regards to getting universe. For some reason I could never get into World at War.. I tried a couple times. I guess I should try again someday!.

Barthheart

Well, picked up the Flashpoint Campaigns: Reforged DLC. More WWIII gaming goodness... this way OJsDad and I should be blasting M-1s and T-80s for a while.  \m/

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on December 23, 2016, 07:59:51 AM
Well, picked up the Flashpoint Campaigns: Reforged DLC. More WWIII gaming goodness... this way OJsDad and I should be blasting M-1s and T-80s for a while.  \m/

Just purchases this morning also.

And since I had a 21% off coupon, I also got WitP:AE.   
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

chemkid

Quote from: OJsDad on December 24, 2016, 09:46:46 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 23, 2016, 07:59:51 AM
Well, picked up the Flashpoint Campaigns: Reforged DLC. More WWIII gaming goodness... this way OJsDad and I should be blasting M-1s and T-80s for a while.  \m/

Just purchases this morning also.

And since I had a 21% off coupon, I also got WitP:AE.   
seems like a lot of people got registered with matrix the first time when christmas hit their wallets... merry matrix sale, everyone!
...and a good choice you did there with that pacific wargame, mr. OJsDad!  O0

Rayfer

Made my second and final Matrix holiday sale purchase. Pike and Shot Campaigns.  Played the first tutorial battle and it delivers a very satisfying gaming experience. Looking forward to reading up on the era's history because I don't know much about the various factions involved.

Father Ted

A question if I may...I have SoW:WL and enjoy it, but have only scratched the surface in terms of content.  I'm thinking about picking up the two add-ons in the sale.  My difficulty is that I doubt I'll "need" new content til the next sale is on - I want to play what I already have before moving on.  However, I see that the add-ons have improvements, so is it worth getting them for the improvements as much as for the new maps/OOBs?  And, if I install, say Quatre Bras, does that mean that my Waterloo will be patched up too?

Gusington

Rayfer - Polaris has the best fleet battles in a space 4x you've ever played??
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on December 28, 2016, 01:22:09 PM
Rayfer - Polaris has the best fleet battles in a space 4x you've ever played??

LOL....the key phrase is "...that I've ever played".   That would be Stellaris, Galactic Civ 2, Distant Worlds: Universe and Armada 2526...at least played long enough to get into a fleet battle.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

My 8 year anniversary coupon showed up Tuesday and I picked up Strategic Command blah blah blah, WitW with Torch expansion, and Sengoku Jidai with Mandate of Heaven expansion for ~$75!  Just finished conquering France in SC3.  Not sure when I'll get to the others (if ever based on past experience).

FlickJax


FarAway Sooner

I'm just about to pull the trigger on Gary Grigsby's A World at War: A World Divided.

Given the topic, the billing as "Gary Grigsby Lite" (an oxymoron, I know), and the PBEM functionality, I don't know how I missed this one.  I'm trusting the recommendations here that it won't suck, but you guys seldom steer me wrong...

8)

jomni

#149
Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 29, 2016, 11:04:36 PM
I'm just about to pull the trigger on Gary Grigsby's A World at War: A World Divided.

Given the topic, the billing as "Gary Grigsby Lite" (an oxymoron, I know), and the PBEM functionality, I don't know how I missed this one.  I'm trusting the recommendations here that it won't suck, but you guys seldom steer me wrong...

8)

It's basically an iteration of "Axis and Allies".  But it's not bad. Played it several times.