So better stay away from Steel Beasts dongles

Started by RyanE, December 06, 2016, 10:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boggit

Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 03:41:53 PM
Interesting take on DRM.
I thought DRM was there notionally to prevent the pirating of software (although clearly it doesn't in practice in many cases). The point being it is there to stop unauthorised people accessing software. It is not there - at least in the arguments in favour of DRM - to punish legitimate users when things go wrong.

The issue here is that someone authorised to access the software is being prevented because of the DRM even when the company know that he is a legitimate customer. The issue Toonces makes about DRM is just smoke and mirrors to the substantive issue of a known legitimate user being prevented from using the software he has already paid to use.

Asking to have a replacement dongle with RyanE offering to pay the costs of the dongle replacement so that the company is not out of pocket seems a perfectly reasonable approach. I haven't yet seen any logical argument justifying why RyanE is making an unreasonable request.

Mirth sums it up really well:

Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 04:03:30 PM
If Ryan had come here and said his laptop was stolen and isn't it awful that eSims won't give him $200 worth of free software, we'd all have told him to go pound sand. But that isn't what happened. What he is asking for is to replace, at his expense, a $40 security dongle so he can use the $200 worth he already paid for.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mirth

Man, DRM threads get more mileage than just about anything else  :D
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 04:23:21 PM
Man, DRM threads get more mileage than just about anything else  :D

Almost as much mileage as Bawb's mustache...OH SNAP!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Boggit

#168
Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 04:23:21 PM
Man, DRM threads get more mileage than just about anything else  :D
That's because it's generally hated/disliked by customers. Most people put up with it because they have little choice if they wish to be legitimate users. This has been a big selling point on GoG for some time now.

Even developers know that it is not a panacea even when they push ahead with it. Games are relatively inexpensive these days, but if you really want a pirate copy of a game it is not so hard to obtain one (leaving aside for a moment all the horrific malware you might obtain as well, depending on the source :o).

For the record, I'm not endorsing piracy. I'm just saying that with the number of DRM cracked games out there, the DRM tends to be the burden for the legitimate customer, rather than for the person who would go down the pirate route for a game where the DRM is bypassed.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

Toonces

I agree with one of RyanE's premises:  understand the DRM of SB Pro if you choose to go the dongle route. If you lose the dongle, you're out the price of the entire software package.

A consumer should know and understand this policy, and then make an informed purchasing decision.

My view regarding this particular software is that I equate the dongle to the physical game...like a book.  If I lose it, I will have to re-buy the book; I won't be able to just download the Kindle version or re-buy it for the cost of the paper.

That's how I view THIS game.  Not all games.  Because all companies that produce games are not one size fits all. 

I just don't have any negative feelings towards eSims for their decision to RyanE.  I understand and accept their decision.  While it would be nice to make an exception, I don't conversely feel they're in any way bad for not making an exception.

I've been carting my dongle around for probably 6-10 years now.  My tolerance for various DRM's has evolved.  If I were a new customer today, I doubt I would buy a game that requires some physical piece of hardware...there are just too many other options available that suit my style now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Boggit on December 09, 2016, 04:37:37 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 04:23:21 PM
Man, DRM threads get more mileage than just about anything else  :D
...the DRM tends to be the burden for the legitimate customer, rather than for the person who would go down the pirate route for a game where the DRM is bypassed.
Amen brother  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

I commend both RyanE and Ssnake, and the Grogheads crowd in general for that matter, for the level-headed discussion on a topic that could easily have devolved into a flame-fest.  I think that speaks volumes about the crowd that hands out here.

Well done, gents.   :bd:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 09, 2016, 04:30:37 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 04:23:21 PM
Man, DRM threads get more mileage than just about anything else  :D

Almost as much mileage as Bawb's mustache...OH SNAP!

Oh no you didn't!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 09, 2016, 04:30:37 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 04:23:21 PM
Man, DRM threads get more mileage than just about anything else  :D

Almost as much mileage as Bawb's mustache...OH SNAP!

NOOOoooooooooooo
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Boggit

Quote from: Toonces on December 09, 2016, 04:52:10 PM
I agree with one of RyanE's premises:  understand the DRM of SB Pro if you choose to go the dongle route. If you lose the dongle, you're out the price of the entire software package.

A consumer should know and understand this policy, and then make an informed purchasing decision.
That's a very fair point. O0

The question is whether it is actually made crystal clear to the consumer at the point of purchase, or very well hidden somewhere in the small print where it's unlikely to be noticed.

Quote from: Toonces on December 09, 2016, 04:52:10 PM
My view regarding this particular software is that I equate the dongle to the physical game...like a book.  If I lose it, I will have to re-buy the book; I won't be able to just download the Kindle version or re-buy it for the cost of the paper.

I get where you are coming from, but the reality seems that it is DRM to restrict access to a legitimate user. This is what RyanE's argument mostly hinges upon.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

#179
Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 05:05:23 PM
DRM = Dongle Restricted Moustache
:2funny:

With a homage to Bawbs moustache...




The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat