So better stay away from Steel Beasts dongles

Started by RyanE, December 06, 2016, 10:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Steelgrave

Well, I wouldn't be pleased with those results, RyanE, but the upside is you've caused some very entertaining meme's to show up on the site. There is that.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: mirth on December 09, 2016, 12:24:08 PM
Dude, I think any of us would have done exactly what you did by posting about it here. I certainly would have.
Me too. It's a good warning for us all.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2016, 12:39:47 PM
imo voicing your issues here are absolutely justified and not only justified, but you owe it to other gamers to give your experiences - as we all do.

People can make their own mind up as to whether they let it affect their choices or not - all you can do - or any of us - is give our experiences.

What I would hope - with anyone doing such a thing - is they give a reasonable and honest account of the issues being raised. I should point out you have not gave me any reason to doubt your account.

No better place imo.
Completely agree. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Toonces

Pushing it off 4 months allows either your luggage to show up, in which case you'll have your dongle back, or for your lost dongle to suddenly activate online, in which case I understand eSims may consider that proof you've lost your dongle and allow you to buy a new one at cost.  Basically, they're giving you 4 months to play the game to see if another solution to you buying a whole new game comes up.

RyanE I get your point.  If it was me, I probably would have just sold you a new dongle.  But, certainly there are plenty of examples I could use to counter your argument.  I've had any number of pieces of software or electronics die or disappear over the years.  I never thought to contact their customer service for a replacement just because I lost something, even if I was a routine customer.  If I pack up a copy of my HPS Midway in my luggage, and the airline loses the disk, I don't expect HPS to ship me a new one just because I've bought 4 or 5 of their games over the years.

I do sympathize with your plight, and see your point.  But ultimately you lost it, and that IS your fault.  And, just because you've bought $200 worth of software from eSims doesn't obligate them morally or any other way to replace the software at anything but full price.  Again, I do see your point, but on the other hand, this situation isn't much different from many others where I've had things lost or stolen and the burden has been on me to replace the items.  I mean, I've bought dozens of pairs of Levis over the years, but I don't expect Levis to replace my jeans if my luggage gets stolen just because I've bought lots of their jeans before.  Etc.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

Apples and oranges, Toonces. A better analogy would be losing your car keys, asking the dealer to sell you a new set, and the dealer says you'll need to buy a new car.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

As far as I'm concerned, the dongle is the software.  It's the same as a game with a disk check (like HPS).  If you lose the disk, even if you can download the game, you can't play it without the disk.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

In a perfect world, eSims would just put SB on Steam like everyone else in the world, including Eagle Dynamics, another company that makes most of its profits through military contracts. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tuna

Quote from: Toonces on December 09, 2016, 03:39:08 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the dongle is the software.  It's the same as a game with a disk check (like HPS).  If you lose the disk, even if you can download the game, you can't play it without the disk.

But that's the ancient way software  was delivered CDs format. These days most digital sellers will allow you to re-download and activate something you paid for. That includes the ones that have tight drm.

mirth

#163
If Ryan had come here and said his laptop was stolen and isn't it awful that eSims won't give him $200 worth of free software, we'd all have told him to go pound sand. But that isn't what happened. What he is asking for is to replace, at his expense, a $40 security dongle so he can use the $200 worth of software he already paid for.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

RyanE

Hold on a minute.  I have twice had CD/DVD replacements sent to me on request.  It cost $5 + S&H to replace. One of them was BFC with a CM1 game and the other was MS Flight Simulator.  I think X-Plane used to have the same policy.

I'll also come back to one of most hated types of companies that out does esims...cell phone companies in the US.  As I have stated, my family and I have lost one of phones twice.  In both cases, Verizon replaced the phones for a fairly nominal fee and no activation fee.  Part of it was because I had been a long-time customer...wadda you know.

The word dongle was built for memes.  Its almost too easy.