So better stay away from Steel Beasts dongles

Started by RyanE, December 06, 2016, 10:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

I guess the question is, do you believe the veracity of the claim? If you do, charge whatever you need to cover your costs and send a replacement. If you do not, don't issue a replacement. If the guy can provide proof-of-purchase, I don't see where the problem is.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tuna

It is not the Customer's fault that the DRM costs a lot of money. May be a sign that it is time to get rid of that form of DRM!

mirth

Quote from: Tuna on December 07, 2016, 03:26:53 PM
It is not the Customer's fault that the DRM costs a lot of money. May be a sign that it is time to get rid of that form of DRM!

Bingo.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Con

QuoteSo you'd essentially argue to reward those who can spin the best yarn. Or you're in favor of some arbitrary, whim of the moment decision. That doesn't sound very just to me. I would rather use simple rules that can be checked for consistency.

If everyone followed the rules slavishly then we wouldn't need common sense.  To me the term customer service and customer relationship exist for these situations. They belong partly in order to be able to provide an answer in the greater context which in this case includes previous purchases (customer loyalty) versus no history of repeatedly losing/abusing any of the DRM.

Boggit

Quote from: mirth on December 07, 2016, 03:11:47 PM
I guess the question is, do you believe the veracity of the claim? If you do, charge whatever you need to cover your costs and send a replacement. If you do not, don't issue a replacement. If the guy can provide proof-of-purchase, I don't see where the problem is.
That seems the best solution. I don't see the point in making a huge issue where the balance of probability is that the customer is telling the truth. Where is the real loss to the company, if they charge to cover the costs of replacement?

The worst case scenario is that someone steals the dongle and can use it, or sell it on successfully. What is the quantum of loss to the company? A lost sale? Most likely a thief won't even know what it is for, and more likely have never heard of SB, let alone be into it. A lost sale will only apply if the thief, or subsequent purchaser would have actually bought the game, which is unlikely if they haven't already.

I do understand where Ssnake is coming from, but without admitting any liability, it might with hindsight, have just been more sensible to have given RyanE as an "established customer" the benefit of the doubt and helped him out. If Ssnake points out that this is not usual policy but a discretionary goodwill gesture, then not only does eSim retain a customer, but also sends a positive message to the community that if things go wrong with "established customers" they will "at their discretion" help them out. It is not a surrender to any claim, as eSim retains the right to exercise their discretion based on the credibility of the claim.

Is Ssnake wrong to ask for verification of the cause of claim? - absolutely not. But on the flip side of the coin sometimes you just can't do this - as in RyanE's case. It doesn't mean the claim is unfounded, even if a rare occurrence. It does call for a commercial judgement as to whether you believe the customer is probably telling the truth. If you think they are probably being truthful, then you retain a customer, and that loyalty often gets reflected whenever a supplier comes under fire in the community. Like Mirth said:

Quote from: mirth on December 07, 2016, 03:11:47 PM
I guess the question is, do you believe the veracity of the claim? If you do, charge whatever you need to cover your costs and send a replacement. If you do not, don't issue a replacement. If the guy can provide proof-of-purchase, I don't see where the problem is.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: Con on December 07, 2016, 03:48:31 PM
QuoteSo you'd essentially argue to reward those who can spin the best yarn. Or you're in favor of some arbitrary, whim of the moment decision. That doesn't sound very just to me. I would rather use simple rules that can be checked for consistency.

If everyone followed the rules slavishly then we wouldn't need common sense.  To me the term customer service and customer relationship exist for these situations. They belong partly in order to be able to provide an answer in the greater context which in this case includes previous purchases (customer loyalty) versus no history of repeatedly losing/abusing any of the DRM.
Exactly. Good point Con. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

@B_Cat, Barth and Con :bd:

Brilliant cat meme's and Youtube link! :notworthy:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mirth

Can a thread be simultaneously derailed and on topic?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

RyanE

I think Ssnake just reinforced my point on the definition of pedantically following the rules...

"Should we offer replacement without verification at least sometimes?
When exactly? Whenever a case is being presented with a plausible story?
So you'd essentially argue to reward those who can spin the best yarn. Or you're in favor of some arbitrary, whim of the moment decision. That doesn't sound very just to me. I would rather use simple rules that can be checked for consistency."

Let's look at what is being assumed here...

2013, upgraded to 2.64
2014, Upgraded to 3.0
2016, upgraded to 4.0
end of 2016,  RyanE suddenly decides he is going to screw over esims by pretending to lose a dongle.  esims sees right through the ploy and declares rules are rules.

Does anyone think this is a reasonable assumption to make.  esims, in so many words, is calling me a thief.  This is not some random guy trying to break into your business.  This is, at minimum, a customer that ahs dropped almost $200 on your company in less than three years.

btw, Ssnake has suddenly declared I never gave him a chance to be flexible.  I mean...he sent two emails outlining how sorry he is but can't help me.  I'll post them if its what is needed for esims to wake up a little.

I have on multiple occasions defended esims pricing.  I want esims to make money to continue producing games.  I made this public because Ssnake gave me no choice.  His email to me was pretty clear.  I am not emotional about this issues.  I understand its a business decision.  But poor customer service decisions have consequences.  A small or large company doesn't matter.  This forum is one of the few places a company can be dragged before the public and exposed for stupid decisions.  esims thought they held all the leverage on this.

I doubt I am going to get anything out of this whole thing.  But I hope the next person who has this happen gets a better deal then me.  And I hope it hurts esims a little financially enough that they'll rethink it.  I hope that $50 was worth it.

mirth

Quote from: RyanE on December 07, 2016, 04:26:47 PM
RyanE suddenly decides he is going to screw over esims by pretending to lose a dongle.  esims sees right through the ploy and declares rules are rules.

Does anyone think this is a reasonable assumption to make.

No. It's a Jim Rose level of paranoia.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on December 07, 2016, 04:05:15 PM
Can a thread be simultaneously derailed and on topic?

A thread about trainwrecks?


Quote from: mirthSo, this one?
Yes, I am preemptively quoting your built-in punchline. You're welcome :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 07, 2016, 04:32:58 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 07, 2016, 04:05:15 PM
Can a thread be simultaneously derailed and on topic?

A thread about trainwrecks?


Quote from: mirthSo, this one?
Yes, I am preemptively quoting your built-in punchline. You're welcome :)

lmao
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

RyanE

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 07, 2016, 04:32:58 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 07, 2016, 04:05:15 PM
Can a thread be simultaneously derailed and on topic?

A thread about trainwrecks?


Quote from: mirthSo, this one?
Yes, I am preemptively quoting your built-in punchline. You're welcome :)

That is a classic.

weateallthepies

I don't understand why a software company selling a relatively niche product would seek to drive away a loyal customer over something that could be resolved quite easily. Thankfully this sort of DRM is relatively rare now.