Just ordered Warfighter Modern (all expansions) from NWS

Started by Swatter, December 15, 2016, 10:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cyrano

The only amendation to B_C's comments that I'd offer is that I FAR prefer the mounted battle board to the paper one that came in the original boxed version.  I don't know if there's a ready way to come by one, but, if you can, do so.

You certainly do NOT need a lot of the extras that DVG added to the KS such as the bullet dice (a horror), the metal markers (nice, but so are the counters they replace), the soldiers (can't imagine using them), &c.  All that effort would have been well better spent on extra decks or scenarios.

One fascinating thing is how much room there's left over in both of the footlockers, even after you load in all the expansions.  Curious to see how far DVG takes this.

Now I'm at work and want to have another go at a campaign mission in modern...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

MikeGER

#31
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 22, 2016, 09:33:22 AM
Quote from: DennisS on December 22, 2016, 08:54:34 AM
What is the realistic entrance requirements to play this game? Just the initial game itself, or are there must-have expansions? Or..are ALL of these expansions good enough to justify, on a first day purchase?

The base game is all you need to play. You'll essentially get the U.S. versus the Germans in that one, and you'll get to play the U.S. I'd suggest just sticking with the base game and if you like it, go for the expansions, which will add a LOT of different sides to play - you can play as the Germans, Poles, Soviets, British, and can add additional gear and other stuff to your decks.

It's up to you of course if you want to get any of those expansions - it's really just a matter of taste and what does it for you. I imagine the Soviet and German expansion packs would be big for any player that wants to do some Russian Front gaming. The others, it just depends on your level(s) of interest in those theaters and participants.

The Gear expansion is good; anything that gives you more options gear-wise is great, but as mentioned, the base set is good for you to get familiar with it. I'd recommend just starting with that and if you like it, go ahead and go nuts with the expansions if you'd like. It would suck if you bought all of it and then realized you didn't enjoy the game, though I don't know of many folks that own this that DON'T like it, to be honest.

BC i think he was asking about the Modern game not WW II  ? ....at least the thread headline is about Modern
but maybe Denis was asking about the newer release anyway? 

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 22, 2016, 09:33:22 AM
Quote from: DennisS on December 22, 2016, 08:54:34 AM
What is the realistic entrance requirements to play this game? Just the initial game itself, or are there must-have expansions? Or..are ALL of these expansions good enough to justify, on a first day purchase?

The base game is all you need to play. You'll essentially get the U.S. versus the Germans in that one, and you'll get to play the U.S. I'd suggest just sticking with the base game and if you like it, go for the expansions, which will add a LOT of different sides to play - you can play as the Germans, Poles, Soviets, British, and can add additional gear and other stuff to your decks.



Is this the Warfighter "Modern" thread still? 

:-"

GJK

Quote from: Nefaro on December 22, 2016, 04:36:42 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 22, 2016, 09:33:22 AM
Quote from: DennisS on December 22, 2016, 08:54:34 AM
What is the realistic entrance requirements to play this game? Just the initial game itself, or are there must-have expansions? Or..are ALL of these expansions good enough to justify, on a first day purchase?

The base game is all you need to play. You'll essentially get the U.S. versus the Germans in that one, and you'll get to play the U.S. I'd suggest just sticking with the base game and if you like it, go for the expansions, which will add a LOT of different sides to play - you can play as the Germans, Poles, Soviets, British, and can add additional gear and other stuff to your decks.



Is this the Warfighter "Modern" thread still? 

:-"


Is there a difference?   :peace:
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

#34
I think the Modern version is more 'unique'. There are a lot of WW2 games and, for me, the system shines in the special forces setting and not really the WW2 classic battles.
So I prefer the Modern game to the WW2 one, just because it fits that setting better IMO.
(I have played both versions)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

#35
Quote from: Cyrano on December 22, 2016, 10:14:36 AM
The only amendation to B_C's comments that I'd offer is that I FAR prefer the mounted battle board to the paper one that came in the original boxed version.  I don't know if there's a ready way to come by one, but, if you can, do so.

You certainly do NOT need a lot of the extras that DVG added to the KS such as the bullet dice (a horror), the metal markers (nice, but so are the counters they replace), the soldiers (can't imagine using them), &c.  All that effort would have been well better spent on extra decks or scenarios.

One fascinating thing is how much room there's left over in both of the footlockers, even after you load in all the expansions.  Curious to see how far DVG takes this.

Now I'm at work and want to have another go at a campaign mission in modern...
I totally agree and would add a mounted map board instead of "the extras".

I found I didn't have enough of a particular card at one time - I can't recall what it was : I think it was Water Bottles - so extra cards would've been more prefereable

oh - and I'm referring to the game in the title of the thread - NOT the WWII version.  :-"
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MikeGER

#36
Quote from: GJK on December 22, 2016, 06:03:42 PM

Is there a difference?   :peace:

there is indeed a significant difference approach not only in the theme and locations

Modern Game.
You select and carefully kit-out a preferable small team, something like maybe 2-5 operators, and pick from 27 items, 30 skills/attributes, and 43 (common for USA)weapons.  Think Delta, Seals, SAS
i didn't made the count for Brits and Russian, ...IIRC its just an exchange of the weapons available specific to those nations
(I have the full blown game ...even got the Russian Operators finally, because of some other cards strewn in that pack)   

worth mention: with (IIRC the footlocker) expansion came not only the mounted board but also night missions and the night equipment and rules

as a unwritten house rule you are expected to get all your boys out, some maybe medevaced mauled badly but all still alive or the mission is 'emotional' a failure, even if the objective got destroyed.

WWII Game
Your are supposed to build a general larger squad (usually with a MG-team gunner and loader to provide suppression fire and maneuver elements, for leapfrog tactics) with small selection of individual WWII weapons/toys to pick from. casualties are expected and you even add extra bullet-magnets and meat-bags soldiers to your team to reduce the odds a mission-critical soldier is targeted and you plan to sacrifice those with a action card when the luck in battle turns against you.

worth mention new in the WW2 game beside deployable MG, harsh winter environment drains your soldier health if you don't plan for it with coats or sending natural-hardend soldiers on patrol who can endure it for a given time (spending hardy-points) and melee combat got a more detailed rule-set   
           

BanzaiCat

My comments stand, whether or not he's doing the modern or WWII version of the game.

Step 1: Get the base game and see if you like it. If you do, buy expansions.

Step 2: ?

Step 3: Clip counters!

TacticalWargames

We hope to review this aswell as the recently released WW2 version early next year at the AWNT website.

I still haven't had a chance to play the WW2 version with all it's Kickstarter expansions but I've read the rulebook and it promises some great gaming narrative whilst playing.

Swatter

It came in the mail today and I'm very excited. I think might do an AAR.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Swatter on December 23, 2016, 09:24:33 PM
It came in the mail today and I'm very excited. I think might do an AAR.

will be watching for it....can't play my version until after xmas:(

Swatter

Just a little update here:

I have played through 10+ missions so far. The rules are not too complicated, but there seems to be much room for interpretation when it comes to how everything comes together. Overall, I like it a lot.

I disagree somewhat with a design philosophy with this degree of resource scarcity, especially when you consider the coolest part of the game is equipping your teams. To me, the resource scarcity  artificially creates tension, rather than tension naturally flowing from the game play elements working together.

To this end I have been working on some house rules to replace the campaign rules. It's a work in progress, but here is the basic rules that govern my campaign rules:

-Weapons and equipment don't cost resources. Resources are exclusively used to buy your team members.
-Loadout and physical card availability are the only restrictions on selecting weapons and equipment.
-You can have up to 3 player soldiers per mission and any mix of the other types up to 8 total.
-Player soldiers can have a max of three skills and may continue to purchase skills if they discard and an existing one.
-Each skill acquired adds +1 to the cost of the next skill. So, if you already have two skills, the third cost + 2.
-Each objective is 3 further than stated on the card and any other modifiers.
-Each mission get a -2 to turn limit, in addition to another other modifiers.

This may not be perfectly balanced yet. In my mind, special forces operations are not run on a shoe string these days. So, I am expecting the player to complete every mission unless back luck interferes a great deal. The key is to balance the victory conditions, which I haven't yet figured out. Plus, I don't believe a campaign should end when a mission is failed. Perhaps you should pick a core of ten soldiers to work with throughout the campaign. The campaign ends when you casualties are too great to continue, perhaps?

Let me know what you guys think.