Your Favorite Christmas Movies?

Started by BanzaiCat, December 21, 2016, 10:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I'm very much into cheesy Christmas movies. Not anything like the marathon of diabeetus that the Hallmark Channel spews 24/7 starting after Halloween, but a wide variety of stuff.

- Christmas Vacation (arguably one of the best National Lampoon movies, IMO)

This has to be the king of them all. No, I'm not considering classics like Jimmy Stuart running and screaming at buildings or having angels show him hallucinatory LSD trips about what would have happened had he not been around. This kind of thing is much better. Cousin Eddie, a billion Christmas lights, the smug neighbors, the obnoxious family visiting, it's all good. I watch this one every year.

That said, I've discovered a Christmas movie that I think will be a staple for me moving forward. It's on Netflix and called A Christmas Horror Story.

This movie was a BIG surprise for me. Bill Shatner? Check. Anthology of Christmas stories tied together by an over-arcing story? Check. A surprise ending I didn't see coming AT ALL? Triple check. I hate it when a movie is so formulaic that you can see what's coming a mile away - this one blew me away at the end. I'm not usually into Christmas-themed horror stories (though there are a plethora of them out there), but this one was fantastic.

Next, we have Krampus, which I think I've mentioned elsewhere:

This is a highly entertaining Christmas black comedy/horror movie. It was on Netflix when I saw it about two weeks ago...but now I can't find it on there. That's really kind of stupid considering, but oh well. If you can find it, check it out, I recommend it as well.

I'm not looking for the usual heart-warming Christmas movies; more so I'm wondering what other unique takes on Christmas there are out there, movie wise. And don't recommend Bad Santa, because that movie is...I can't even. :)

bayonetbrant

We already had a thread on this. You should pop over there and see what people said
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I didn't see one, my mistake. I do that a lot apparently.

JudgeDredd

lol

I started it but I have no idea where it is  :P
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus