Ideas for any 'Grog' type places/exhibits in New York and Washington in May 2017

Started by markh, January 06, 2017, 09:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

markh

Hi Guys

I will be making my first ever trip to the USA in May 2017.  I will be visiting New York and Washington.  Unfortunately, it will be mainly for work - with some limited but flexible spare time.  I have always been a 'Grog' at heart.  My military history interests - American Civil War and wars of the 20th and 21st Century.  Interests in computer war gaming, CMx2 series, Graviteam products, VBS3, ARMA3, Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations, DCS Combined Arms and Steel Beast Pro PE4.

So, to those with local and on-the-ground knowledge in New York and Washington (and with the above areas of interests in mind), what are the places/exhibits I should be thinking of visiting?  I have naturally googled the options (which seem overwhelming in terms of sheer numbers), but, I would be very interested in the thoughts of the Groghead members so I do not waste my limited time.  You guys have certainly positively influenced my purchasing decisions games wise, so I am looking for any ideas and suggestions in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Staggerwing

USS Intrepid museum, NYC. https://www.intrepidmuseum.org, as well as the National Air and Space Museum, Washington DC, https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/museum-dc.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

If you have the ability to get down to Quantico for the U.S. Marine Corps Museum, it's about 20 minutes south of the DC area, and worth every second you can squeeze to spend in it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DoctorQuest

Staggerwing beat me to it......

If you have any interest in military or civilian aviation you have to hit the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in DC. Any Smithsonian museum is worth your time. The Smithsonian complex is easily accessible via the metro which is one of the best subway systems I've ever used.

I don't know if you have interests in this area but one of the lesser known museums in DC is the Spy Museum. Lot's of great cloak and dagger stuff there!

The Intrepid museum in New York is good as well for military aviation.

I'm sure others will chime in here as well.

Enjoy your time here and welcome!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

jamus34

You can go to Camden, NJ (about 2 hours from NYC) and tour the USS New Jersey...I imagine you can get groggier than touring an Iowa class BATTLESHIP  :bd:
Insert witty comment here.

Staggerwing

Quote from: jamus34 on January 06, 2017, 10:45:45 PM
You can go to Camden, NJ (about 2 hours from NYC) and tour the USS New Jersey...I imagine you can get groggier than touring an Iowa class destroyer  :bd:

You can if it's an Iowa class battleship.  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Slim

Udvar-Hazy Museum (it's part of the Smithsonian) that is near Dulles airport is a great place for aviation too. SR-71 is there,  Concorde, space shuttle, bunch of WWII aircraft, etc. Really great place.


https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

jamus34

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 06, 2017, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on January 06, 2017, 10:45:45 PM
You can go to Camden, NJ (about 2 hours from NYC) and tour the USS New Jersey...I imagine you can get groggier than touring an Iowa class destroyer  :bd:

You can if it's an Iowa class battleship.  ;)

Dammit...

It's late....

I'm tired...

Gahhh...

Nice play old chap!
Insert witty comment here.

jamus34

Also I would advise not going anywhere else in Camden...it's not the nicest of neighborhoods.
Insert witty comment here.

GibbyG


Rayfer

Quote from: jamus34 on January 06, 2017, 11:18:59 PM
Also I would advise not going anywhere else in Camden...it's not the nicest of neighborhoods.

Are you from that area? I was born in Camden, Cooper Hospital, a long, long time ago, and lived in the area (but not in Camden) for much of my life. Not living there now though.

bbmike

Smithsonian Air & Space Museum on Independence Ave. They have the original Star Trek TV USS Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C or D) on display just as you walk in the front door! What more is there to see???  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

besilarius

If you are interested in US naval history, the National Navy Museum is inside the Washington, DC navy yard.
https://www.history.navy.mil/content/history/museums/nmusn.html

Has some very unusual materials, but very naval specific.  Not for everyone.

If code breaking is high on your list of interests, North of DC is The National Cryptologic Museum.   
https://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic-heritage/museum/

The National Security Agency was so super secret that many people never heard of it, and those in the know referred to it as No Such Agency.  When they opened a museum, it was a real sea change.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bbmike

Quote from: besilarius on January 07, 2017, 08:49:24 AM
If you are interested in US naval history, the National Navy Museum is inside the Washington, DC navy yard.
https://www.history.navy.mil/content/history/museums/nmusn.html

Has some very unusual materials, but very naval specific.  Not for everyone.

If code breaking is high on your list of interests, North of DC is The National Cryptologic Museum.   
https://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic-heritage/museum/

The National Security Agency was so super secret that many people never heard of it, and those in the know referred to it as No Such Agency.  When they opened a museum, it was a real sea change.

The Spy Museum in Chinatown DC is also interesting.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on January 07, 2017, 08:34:41 AMSmithsonian Air & Space Museum on Independence Ave.

Back in 2009, we took a road trip to DC with Bayonet Jr, and one of the things we went and found in there was the model of SEASAT. 
It was a weather satellite that the Russians shot down because they were convinced it was a spy satellite.
It was designed by my wife's uncle, Walt McCandless

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers