Torment: Tides of Numenera

Started by Rayfer, January 19, 2017, 11:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer


Sir Slash

I think I just got a 'Woody'. Nope, I was wrong. Just a leg cramp but it still looks damned-good.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

panzerde

I've been playing the early access version for a few months. This is a good RPG. It isn't the original Torment, but the writing is good, it isn't combat driven, and it has me very interested in the Numenera system.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

You're giving me that leg cramp again Panzerde. Please continue to opine and tease at your convenience.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

panzerde

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 19, 2017, 07:44:01 PM
You're giving me that leg cramp again Panzerde. Please continue to opine and tease at your convenience.


One thing I like about the game (versus the RPG system itself) is that it's uses the Pillars of Eternity engine. So, an isomorphic Bioware-esque game, but graphically very attractive.


The setting is fascinating. Here's a short film that was made that does a good job capturing it:





Imagine a world so steeped in the remnants of a billion years of technological civilization that each handful of dirt you pick up is filled with the remains of machines and artifacts.  A world where the very air is filled with microscoping, floating computers - robots - that those with the right abilities can get to perform tasks that seem like magic.


Like the original Torment, Tides of Numenera is not a typical fantasy RPG. Almost none of the usual tropes are there. The world is filled with strange, completely inexplicable beings and objects, many of which you will only get to know enough about to wet your curiosity. The world is weird and full of strangeness, and just dripping with background and backstory that add color to the game. The game plot itself is compelling and artfully told. It requires explanation and thought, and generally can't be advanced by indiscriminately attacking obstacles.


The game UI has come a long way in the last few months. I've become familiar with it and find using it pretty natural at this point. The downside is that the game, once PC exclusive, is now also being released on console, and the UI somewhat reflects that.  It works, but I don't think it's as well done as Pillars, for example.


I've actually stopped playing and am waiting for the final release. I want to enjoy the finished product and not be burnt out on it before it comes out. I really can't wait for it though; I'm more eager for this than pretty much any RPG that's been released in the past several years.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Rayfer

Strange but interesting video pz.  Not sure what any of it has to do with the game but it's a game I'm going to want to play.

panzerde

Quote from: Rayfer on January 20, 2017, 08:15:56 AM
Strange but interesting video pz.  Not sure what any of it has to do with the game but it's a game I'm going to want to play.


The video was made concerning the RPG system from Monte Cook Games, and isn't specifically about the upcoming computer game. It's a pretty decent illustration of the atmosphere of the overall setting.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Rayfer

A new story-trailer from the RPS site. It isn't gameplay but does a good job explaining the universe the game is set in. I like it.   :D   https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/09/torment-tides-of-numenera-story-trailer/#more-428483

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on February 09, 2017, 03:00:23 PM
A new story-trailer from the RPS site. It isn't gameplay but does a good job explaining the universe the game is set in. I like it.   :D   https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/09/torment-tides-of-numenera-story-trailer/#more-428483


Gotta admit - the backstory sounds very interesting:






Plus it's an isometric view RPG.  Always prefer those over 1st/3rd-person.

Sir Slash

An evil God who's spawn are fighting over his legacy. Sounds a little like a story I once heard in a bar in Baldur's Gate. That story had a happy ending, it was good. I hope this one is too.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.