Main Menu

Long War 2

Started by Shelldrake, January 19, 2017, 12:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Shelldrake

The Long War 2 mod is now available for XCOM2. Based on what I have read this will be a must try for my second play through.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

undercovergeek

downloading now, i thought this was months away

HoodedHorseJoe

I want this in my life, but I'm scared of what it will do to me.

LW1 was harrowing.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

undercovergeek

Even the opening to the very first mission changes the games feeling to what was missing - a guerilla group fighting against the odds getting their hits in where they could - amazing

JasonPratt

I had plans this weekend. But plans change on first contact with the Long War.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ghostryder

Seems quite buggy from what I'm reading. Might want to wait on this one.

undercovergeek


KyzBP

Quote from: ghostryder on January 20, 2017, 05:14:08 PM
Seems quite buggy from what I'm reading. Might want to wait on this one.
The only bug I've run into is the "This Game Is Kicking My Ass" bug. 

I've already lost 8 squaddies in the first 2 missions.  Brutal.

ghostryder

Most people experiencing bugs are centered around the UI. Seems the way LW2 generates their .ini files is probmatic-and many users can't finish missions or scan on the geoscape. What's happening is the vanilla UI is overwriting the LW2 UI.  The work-around is to delete your ini files under documents and let the game generate new ones. however for some after a save it reverts back again and has to be repeated on each startup. I'd add make sure you have no game controllers plugged in as this will also cause the mod to bug out-- as of right now game controllers are not supported. Other bugs reported involve sectoids can't be targeted after they mind control a soldier. Another bug is movement points. Your soldiers should have at least 15 movement points-- if they are less something is bugging out and your have difficulty with the timers.

chemkid

Quote from: WargamerJoe on January 20, 2017, 05:10:52 AM
I want this in my life, but I'm scared of what it will do to me.

LW1 was harrowing.
BUT!

the long war is the ONLY way to play the game, right?! ...just like HOI3 is ONLY working when started with 'BLACK ICE MOD' active... not?!

cheers!

KyzBP

I'm beginning to think this is unplayable.  Not because of bugs but because the thing is damn near impossible to beat.  I can't get more than 4 missions in without restarting.  Anyone else doing any better?

undercovergeek

What level you playing at?

JasonPratt

I just finished the first mission myself (the semi-random ambush mission that replaces "Gatekeeper" -- some of the relevant cinematics no longer trigger, including the surgery cinematic that happens after the mission. The "command" and "research" and "engineering" starting cutscenes have all triggered correctly, but naturally they refer to plot things that you didn't see happen.)

No problems yet. Playing on... um, whatever level 2 is. Veteran? Not level 3 or 4.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 21, 2017, 04:17:58 PM
What level you playing at?

Veteran.  I'm getting absolutely destroyed. :hide:

JasonPratt

Are you skipping most of your missions? Because I understand you're supposed to carefully choose which few missions you want to take, and make long-term preparations for those.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!