Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Started by OJsDad, January 23, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 17, 2017, 11:39:46 PM
It would've been epic to see Luke, Han, and Chewy all team-up on screen again.

+1 really wish they would have given us that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, the new hotness online is... wait, does Disney own Men In Black now?

Meanwhile, the new hotness online is watching the stages of insanity set in:

Stage one: fans complain that without George Lucas the series has no soul now.

Stage two: fans point out that Lucas was far more solely responsible for the prequels than for the original trilogy.

Stage three: fans begin retroactively appreciating the prequels as hidden gems of genius that only equal geniuses can truly understand.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

Disney doesn't give two shites. They could crap out something and slap a Star Wars label on it and it will earn a billion dollars.

Step 1: STIR WIIIRS EVERYBODY
Step 2: ? ? ?
Step 3: PROFIT!

JasonPratt

I think they give at least two shiites -- they paid money up front to do this (and to buy the rights to do this), and not small amounts.

But they're interested in the aesthetics. If the story is great or not, they don't care. Or maybe some people care, but not enough in the right places.

It's all the difference in the world from Marvel, where some of the aesthetics matter (mainly on the hero side) but characterization also matters. Even there, the story only serves to put images up on screen and give the characters something to character at each other within.

What's worse about TLJ, however, is that the auteurs (writers/director) seem to be actively deriding the audience for caring about the past: the fans need to let the past die, and quit giving a crap about it, because it was nothing special after all.

This doesn't just come from Team Evil as their lesson, which could make sense in context. It comes from Team Good, too.

And there's a weird.... .......... I hate to say radical-left slant, but it's historically (in the real world) a radical-left slant. Burn it all down, crap on all of it, with nothing of any good quality to even replace it much less progress from it. But the progression is assumed to be guaranteed to happen anyway, and to be better than what came before, so don't worry about the details, just desecrate what came before.

Fittingly, the film ends with the proposition that an illusionary defense that didn't (as far as anyone knows) accomplish anything heroic and (as far as anyone knows) didn't even cost anyone anything heroic, somehow is good enough to light a spark of defiance to bring down space Nazis someday, perhaps.

Lord, the more I think about this film, the more I need to go back and binge Legend of the Galactic Heroes instead...

JasonPratt

Meanwhile as a pallette cleanser (or however the French spell it)... this recent offering from Bad Lip Reading.

"Shame he won't be at the barbecue / then again I guess he is a barbecue. Technically, my lies are prob'ly true..."  :smitten:

"Pretty soon you'll literally be trippin'"

"Guys! ...I think Dak is a zombie!" "A what?" "A zombie!" "Wait, didn't your ship just get shot?!" "Yeah, but -- zombie!" "Okay, that is terrible..."

(Note: technically this is an extension to a part of their 2015 ESB BLR.)

JasonPratt

Let it haunt your very soul.

...I still don't believe they can fly.

mirth

JasonPratt

MovieBob defends his review. And attacks critics as dumb, uninsightful, ungrateful, "one thousand percent" misogynist (those who don't agree that only misogyny explains their problems can just "confront their own biases"), essentially agrees with the Dark Side position in the film (with the excuse that it's also the position of the Jedi), brushes aside authorities not explaining their plans when it would make more sense to explain them...

Christ, Bob, even Mark Hamill, who has clearly swallowed lottttts of blue and other colored pills in his long life, thinks the film has severe problems, including in its portrayal of Luke.

I shall restrain from replying further to my internet superior here. I often like Bob's work, and usually respect it, but -- this can't be the best defense possible for the film. My nieces and plenty of other people love it without needing to resort to those explanations.  ::)

Sir Slash

Porgs can fly. If you throw one off a thousand foot cliff, he would fly until he hit the ground. So they can fly. Just in only one direction.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

undercovergeek

Haven't seen it yet - but did we all come out of the original trilogy going OMG that was aaamaaazing or did we bitch and moan like we're doing now but it's faded away in glorious rose tinted loveliness

mirth

Empire was amazing. Must have watched it at least 10 times in a theater.

jamus34

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 18, 2017, 08:07:41 PM
Porgs can fly. If you throw one off a thousand foot cliff, he would fly until he hit the ground. So they can fly. Just in only one direction.

But that is not even the most important question.

The most important question is....Do they taste like chicken?
Insert witty comment here.