Oh MetalDog! Heeeeere MetalDog... Here boy, here boy!

Started by bayonetbrant, February 05, 2017, 11:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

First person to see tour dates needs to post them!!!!!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

I have 'technically,' seen Phil Collins and Genesis.  They came onstage and did three songs and left.  Phil was trying to preserve his voice for the televised performance the next night.  Got my money back, but I was pissed.  I'll throw my money at them if they come anywhere near here.  I won't it, but there it is.  It would be infinitely better if Pete were leading the band again.  When I saw Pete and Sting last June, Sting sang the opening verse of, "Selling England By the Pound," a capella.  Me and about three other people in the place went nuts!!  Noone else even noticed.

bayonetbrant

I think Peter is going back on tour with them, not just Phil
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

The pic in the article shows all of them.  The article states, Phil, Mike, and Tony.  Pete didn't shut the door on it, but, said he was out for the year and concentrating on his own stuff.

bbmike

Quote from: MetalDog on February 05, 2017, 12:31:09 PM
First person to see tour dates needs to post them!!!!!!

Takes a while for nursing homes to schedule these things.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

I could, "Feel it coming in the air tonight" actually.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Emeraldlis

Omg ...about time they got back together !!!!! I've never seen them live ,  I very nearly did in the early 90's . I had a ticket to go with some friends and see their show at knebworth and was beyond excited to go , but at the time my mum had been through a very bad bout of depression , and I ended up giving her my ticket to go and see them and I ended up babysitting my little brother so she could go . I know that may make me sound a little saintly ....but to be honest I totally regret that decision , I really wish I'd have done something else nice for her , because I'm a huge fan of Genesis and Phil Collins , and my mum just isn't . So it's always irked me that I didn't go and see them , and this time I'm buying a ticket ....and keeping it !!!!

He's actually playing here in Dublin at the Aviva stadium in June , if I can get a ticket , I'm going  :D ALL his gigs for the summer in the U.K. are sold out , and I think that's a testimony to his music being awesome and standing the test of time :) I'm definitely in the camp of Phil Collins/Genesis , I like peter Gabriel , but only his stuff after he left Genesis .
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

You clearly haven't done enough drugs then if you prefer Phil to Pete ;) :P

Emeraldlis

Quote from: MetalDog on February 06, 2017, 07:51:56 PM
You clearly haven't done enough drugs then if you prefer Phil to Pete ;) :P

Uhm .....I beg to differ  ;)  :P I think Phil has a better voice for a start , and I think what Pete did when he was in Genesis ...all of his "creative" antics , just took away from the music . And I have nothing against theatricality , but he just seemed to try to be clever with it and ended up looking , quite frankly , idiotic !!!! But I love peter Gabriel's stuff after he left Genesis , I think he managed to strike the right balance between music and creative visuals on his own :) .......so there !!!!!!  O:-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

Phil has a much better pop sensibility.  The pop-iest thing Pete did was Sledgehammer.  Most of the rest of it is style and substance.  As for both of their work with Genesis, I pretty much can't listen to anything past 'Abacab.'  Gets to be too much pop and Phil singing to make money, not make good music.  That's the thing about music though.  You like what your ear, brain and heart tell you and so do I.  And noone can tell you you are right or wrong.   O0

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on February 07, 2017, 08:08:42 PM
Phil has a much better pop sensibility.  The pop-iest thing Pete did was Sledgehammer.  Most of the rest of it is style and substance.  As for both of their work with Genesis, I pretty much can't listen to anything past 'Abacab.'  Gets to be too much pop and Phil singing to make money, not make good music.  That's the thing about music though.  You like what your ear, brain and heart tell you and so do I.  And noone can tell you you are right or wrong.   O0

Still, I do have to say that 'Home by the sea' / 'Second home by the sea', off their following album was pretty good:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Definitely one of the songs post Abacab that I like!

mirth

Gabriel is a much different talent than Phil Collins. I enjoy them both for what they offer. Pete was pretty freaky in his Genesis days.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus