CM Fortress Italy Upgrade 4

Started by JudgeDredd, March 28, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

This one almost flew under the radar for me - because it was so long since I bought the 4 upgrade and had forgotten that Fortress Italy was not included (for Windows).

Is it about yet? I just looked at the mega pack download and it still doesn't contain 4.0 for FI and I can't find it on their website. As they said it would hopefully be available mid January - 2 months ago - I was wondering if it's buried somewhere I don't know about.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Zulu1966

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 28, 2017, 04:48:27 PM
This one almost flew under the radar for me - because it was so long since I bought the 4 upgrade and had forgotten that Fortress Italy was not included (for Windows).

Is it about yet? I just looked at the mega pack download and it still doesn't contain 4.0 for FI and I can't find it on their website. As they said it would hopefully be available mid January - 2 months ago - I was wondering if it's buried somewhere I don't know about.

No. Not done yet as far as I know. I have learnt not to anticipate stuff from the timetable  they give and tend to accept now things are done when they are done. Makes the waiting much easier.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

JudgeDredd

Thank you

I'm just concerned they won't be proactive about sending links or emails  to people who bought the bulk upgrade pack and I'll forget I should have it.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

stolypin

Unfortunately, CM Fortress Italy is the only CM title I own. 

I might consider other titles if I could experience Upgrade 4 with CMFI.

Jarhead0331

This is the only CM title I don't own. The Italian front never really appealed to me for some reason. Any particular reason to pick this one up if I have all the other WWII era titles?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 29, 2017, 09:37:40 AM
This is the only CM title I don't own. The Italian front never really appealed to me for some reason. Any particular reason to pick this one up if I have all the other WWII era titles?

Flavour maps and a little oob adjustment that's all

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 29, 2017, 10:31:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 29, 2017, 09:37:40 AM
This is the only CM title I don't own. The Italian front never really appealed to me for some reason. Any particular reason to pick this one up if I have all the other WWII era titles?

Flavour maps and a little oob adjustment that's all

Thanks...pretty much why I never picked it up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


RyanE

My main reason for playing CMFI is some of the earlier war stuff and some of the more obscure Italian stuff.  I like playing around with non-mainstream units.

MikeGER

#8
IIRC there was something good that came with the Italy release to the engine beyond Normandy, but i cant remember what it was exactly ...and it was later patched into Normandy with v2.0  ...maybe it was AAA working against airthreats? or some AAA in a ground role first time usable at all?  and decals and some new commands ...?
I remember that i played a test with a Flakvierling (or the US equivalent 4 x .50 cal) on a halftrack and loved what i saw at that time.

also there was the new arid mountainous terrain in vanilla version and with Gustav Line Module there came snow for the first time ...so that some ppl. were even building 'Bulge mods' for Italy 
Italy alone was mostly US fighting in Sicily, and Gustav module brought Anzio and especially famous Monte Casino fight possibilities.

Now with 4.0 patch in all Combat Mission games  (when Italy get its  4.0 patch also in a short time) its just about the special landscape and the equipment of participants in the battles that time period and location   

sandman2575

I think CMFI/GL is highly underrated. I really enjoy it, the setting, the campaigns, everything. Beyond the different, earlier (and more interesting) OOB, the setting really does play very differently from Beyond Normandy or Red Thunder. Lots of hilly, vertical maps. No bocage to contend with -- though plenty of olive groves and vineyards. Just an interesting and unique experience all around. I guess Italy will always be the neglected theater by comparison with Normandy and aftermath -- but I find it very cool.

Frankly, the CMx2 module that I find redundant is Final Blitzkrieg. Doesn't feel like there's much new content here compared to Beyond Normandy. Yes it's snowing. I dunno -- it's the one CMx2 module I find pretty disappointing.

RyanE

I always felt that if any CM2 game was just an overblown module, it was CMFB.  There isn't a whole lot there that a battle pack and vehicle pack wouldn't have delivered.

demjansk1942

I supported all the games like Cmbb, cmbo, cmak, Normandy and Red Thunder.  However, I lost interest once they started charging for all the upgrades.  I would still rather play Cmbb.  I also never see the prices go down much.  Therefore, I haven't purchased any of the new games.

Michael Dorosh

#12
I was going to start a new topic but this looks like an appropriate thread, apologies if it is a derail.

My question is: What IS next for BFC, anyway? I don't follow their forums and there seems to be little discussion elsewhere. What is on the horizon next? I've upgraded my CMX2 with the 4.0 engine. CM:FB is out. I'll admit I felt a bit of anticipation for this one. Will be even happier if/when they add Commonwealth troops to CM:FB. For that matter, will welcome the Waffen-SS to Red Thunder, too. But what is the next major release?

What's the buzz among the hardcore CM'ers?

RyanE

I think the CMFI module is the next "big" thing.  Then Steve mentioned a CMBS battlepack.  But beyond that, I don't you can count on much.  Over the last few years, they always put up this grand plan and then deliver maybe a module a game a year.  Then they appear to be moving the CMSF reboot up the priority list.  I am guessing that will consume most of 2018.  So might not see CMFB until 2019.

sandman2575

It really has felt for a while now that BFC has scaled back their ambitions significantly. We still don't have (or appear to have any hint of) an add-on to Red Thunder, which came out in 2014. (Not to mention Black Sea.) Gustav Line was 2013. They have yet to update their webpage storefront this year (last post is Dec. 24).

I can't say that updating Shock Force feels like 'big news' to me. It's nice, no doubt. But again, just seems evidence of diminished ambitions and expectations.