Main Menu

Far Cry 5

Started by Tpek, May 27, 2017, 03:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 30, 2018, 10:06:59 AM
Well - I had (several times) written a reply in here - each time I deleted it.

I'm glad I did - because I'm actually having fun with it now.

I totally get that.  It's a game that can frustrate greatly and then entertain enormously.  I enjoy the hell out of it, but man, there's some occasional speed bumps and moments where it's more angering than appealing. 

Better game than Far Cry 4.  Not as good as Far Cry 3.   Worth it, but it'll make you mad at times. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 01, 2018, 10:19:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 30, 2018, 10:06:59 AM
Well - I had (several times) written a reply in here - each time I deleted it.

I'm glad I did - because I'm actually having fun with it now.

I totally get that.  It's a game that can frustrate greatly and then entertain enormously.  I enjoy the hell out of it, but man, there's some occasional speed bumps and moments where it's more angering than appealing. 

Better game than Far Cry 4.  Not as good as Far Cry 3.   Worth it, but it'll make you mad at times.
^In a nutshell, this  :bd:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Apocalypse 31

#122
Far Cry and Ubisoft open world games have made me hate open world games.

I feel like most of the tasks are just extraneous filler, and are usually just NPCs trying to get you to do bullshit for them.

"Help me find my grandfather's lost Whiskey barrels"

No.

Far Cry has also shaped me to have ZERO sympathy for any characters. None. My mission is to capture or kill Joseph Seed, not be errand boy for dozens of poorly written NPCs.

"Hey, we just met, but do you think you can risk your life for some menial task for me?"

And who are all these well armed people that show up AFTER you liberate a sector? Where have your incompetent asses been? Feels like I'm working with the Iraq Army again.

The ending was also stupid.

Gusington

^So you liked it...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 02, 2018, 06:21:33 PM
Far Cry and Ubisoft open world games have made me hate open world games.

I feel like most of the tasks are just extraneous filler, and are usually just NPCs trying to get you to do bullshit for them.

"Help me find my grandfather's lost Whiskey barrels"

No.

Far Cry has also shaped me to have ZERO sympathy for any characters. None. My mission is to capture or kill Joseph Seed, not be errand boy for dozens of poorly written NPCs.

"Hey, we just met, but do you think you can risk your life for some menial task for me?"

And who are all these well armed people that show up AFTER you liberate a sector? Where have your incompetent asses been? Feels like I'm working with the Iraq Army again.

The ending was also stupid.

Pretty much nearly every computer RPG ever made :P

"Hey there complete stranger who is extremely busy being the only one trying to save the world. Here's my entire life story, including all the dirty secrets.
Now please take a time off from the highly urgent task of preventing the total destruction of our world, to go around collecting flowers for me.
I just can't be arsed to move from this very spot. Thanks!"

SirAndrewD

Yeah, fetch and help quests are just part of the genre.  That's not what bothers me about the game on the occasions when it does bother me. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jamus34

This is one of the reasons I've really been grooving on Monster Hunter World lately...there are some fetch quests involved but typically they are stuff that you can do while completing a primary question.

Which usually involves finding a big honking monster and proceeding to curbstomp it.
Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

I don't particularly mind the side quests. Side quests just thrown in for you to stay in a particular map location do - and that for me was the issue with Ghost Recon Wildlands. The side quests, iirc, just showed on the map and off you went. These are at least given to you by NPCs and all the stories from the NPCs are different. There's alot of variety in here which helps to keep "samey" tasks different.

The one thing I do think is there is the grind here. Not playing the game - but getting other equipment. There's alot of different weapons you can buy in stores - but there's not a whole lot of cash about.

I have rarely and I mean very rarely been above $10000 and therefore rarely been in a position to buy any other weapons. Any guns I've got I've picked up. I don't have alot...maybe 3 automatic guns and a shotgun. I've almost cleared the Happy Valley sector and I've only stumbled across 2 lots of 40 silver bars. To "accentuate" the lack of those bars in game, there's a very, very accessible shop to buy silver bars for real money. I can't help but think those silver bars are put in the game to sit there and tease people to "just spend real money" and build up their silver bar stash.

I've been crafting the things I can craft...so I don't think I've been wasting my money.

For example there's lots of ammo about - but there are so many bad guys kicking around that you can't risk going anywhere without topping up your ammo - so I was constantly spending money in the stores on ammo and med kits. Armour (vests) are very few and far between too - so you buy those.

Don't get me wrong. You do not need to have all these weapons to survive in the game...but you'll be unlikely to get any of those weapons.

One thing I can't seem to find is the herbs to make the stuff that lets you track. I've got lots of other herbs...but the red one (I think) just isn't around. I haven't stumbled across it.

Animals take an incredible amount of ammo to put down. Even those stupid turkeys and skunks. And I can now confirm there's enough of them to be bloody annoying.

Overall - this is a reskinned Ghost Recon Wildlands but better. It's got it's flaws, but like Ghost Recon Wildlands, it's dragging me back each time. Unless it opens up, it's considerably smaller than Ghost Recon Wildlands though. Ghost Recon Wildlands had about a dozen sectors and main bad guys to take out whereas this has 3 and the main guy.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

SirAndrewD

JD has it mostly right.   Can't argue where it's wrong, as usual, I'm far too drunk to do so.  The lot of an American Teacher...booze....more booze.

But yeah, I still insist, good and fun game. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jomni

Wait... there are rabid turkeys?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 03, 2018, 01:40:09 AM
JD has it mostly right.   Can't argue where it's wrong, as usual, I'm far too drunk to do so.  The lot of an American Teacher...booze....more booze.

But yeah, I still insist, good and fun game.
Absolutely a fun game. Ghost Recon Wildlands was the same and Steam shows me logged as 500 hours (me and my daughter) - and imo this is much better flashed out.

One thing I really liked was there seemed to be a couple or 3 trigger points where you're dragged back into the story. IIRC that wasn't the case in Ghost Recon Wildlands. You just knew about an area and what you had to do and got on with it. Here there's a couple of instances of being reminded what the story is about and that kept the story alive.

Overall - much more positive than negative.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on April 03, 2018, 02:00:48 AM
Wait... there are rabid turkeys?
Yes...though I've only seen a couple of instances of those so far.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 03, 2018, 01:40:09 AM
JD has it mostly right.   Can't argue where it's wrong, as usual, I'm far too drunk to do so.  The lot of an American Teacher...booze....more booze.

But yeah, I still insist, good and fun game.

I know...all that vacation and time off really wears on a man. I can't imagine how hard it must be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Tpek

Quote from: jomni on April 03, 2018, 02:00:48 AM
Wait... there are rabid turkeys?

Yeah. They charge right at you while you're emptying an assault rifle's magazine right into them at close range.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2018, 05:03:51 AM


I know...all that vacation and time off really wears on a man. I can't imagine how hard it must be.

And those work days ending at 2:45.   :))
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback