Mount and Blade Bannerlord

Started by Bison, June 12, 2017, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Appreciate the comments about Witcher 3, fellas. My Steam library tells me I have all of 8 hours played, last played Feb. 2017 (!). My recollection of it was that it is incredibly impressive both visually and from a writing/story standpoint (something I don't praise lightly -- I think the writing in most RPG games is pretty awful, even games derived from successful books -- very clear that Witcher is on a different level.) I remember thinking that the early 'training' scene in the courtyard was way too short, and I just wanted to keep fencing until I could figure the buttons out!

But it's remained on my harddrive all this time out of a lingering sense that I really should give it another go. Overall my stamina for large open-world RPGs is low.  Never got very far in Oblivion or Skyrim or Pillars of Eternity or Wasteland 2 etc. etc.

Gusington

That's how I felt about the combat in Witcher 2, until years later I came back to try again and something just 'clicked.'

Actually your descripition of the tutorial sounds more like Witcher 2 than 3...although I don't really remember the combat intro in 3, I clearly remember the torture of the courtyard in 2...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

So, Witcher 3 is easier to play on the PC vs console? I too struggled with the PS4 game. Too twitchy for my tastes. So, there are mods for W3? I don't see any on Steam so I'm assuming Nexus mods or something? I'll have to take a peek (and at M&BB too!)

Gusington

Good question - I never modded Witcher 3...I didn't think it needed it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

This thread has unexpectedly reminded me that I never even came close to finishing Witcher 3.  I think I got to the part with the "Bodkin" if you are familiar with the game.

I dunno...it didn't grab me like it did so many others.  I liked Skyrim far more.  But, I've heard such overwhelming praise for W3 that I feel like I really need to finish it, if for no other reason than to see what the fuss is all about.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on April 01, 2020, 06:16:12 PM
This thread has unexpectedly reminded me that I never even came close to finishing Witcher 3.  I think I got to the part with the "Bodkin" if you are familiar with the game.

I dunno...it didn't grab me like it did so many others.  I liked Skyrim far more.  But, I've heard such overwhelming praise for W3 that I feel like I really need to finish it, if for no other reason than to see what the fuss is all about.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried 3 or 4 times to get into it...it just won't grab me. Not sure why.  :-[
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

WRT Bannerlord, I dunno.  Something about this release left me cold.  I guess I was expecting after 8 years to be a "full" release.  I'm sort of over the early release nonsense, TBH. 

I like what you guys are saying; I just don't feel that enthusiasm to jump right in like I expected.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

Quote from: Toonces on April 01, 2020, 07:15:04 PM
WRT Bannerlord, I dunno.  Something about this release left me cold.  I guess I was expecting after 8 years to be a "full" release.  I'm sort of over the early release nonsense, TBH. 

I like what you guys are saying; I just don't feel that enthusiasm to jump right in like I expected.

I'm kinda the same, but for maybe a different reason. I miss the old Warband mods, I think. This game is visually a big improvement, but the gameplay is still largely the same. That's fine - the gameplay was great in the day and it's great now - but I'm running around with a mid-size party and I'm bored. There's no point in hunting down 6-12 man looter groups anymore. I don't get anything from them of value, the experience gained is negligible, yet I'm still way too small to compete with anything else.

I don't recall the name of the mod I used to play with Warband, but it had a much more rich world with groups of mid-size bad guys (including religious zealots and cults) that still offered a challenge even without having 75-100 relatively experienced guys to command.

Again, I still like the game and it's still very much playable for me, but being a merchant and comparing the buy/sell value of flax isn't doing it for me right now. There's not much else for me to do, it feels like, unless I absolutely want to dive into that main quest. I'm otherwise getting no satisfaction marauding, lest I feel some sociopathic need to pick a fight with a random kingdom.

I think I'll just wait for the modders to come along before I tackle this again.

Yskonyn

I think that might be because a large part of diplomacy and rpg interaction with the named lords and ladies are still missing.
The system runs on renown, but it seems like the most efficient way to earn this at the moment is by fighting and winning, making gameplay feel a little one dimensional at times.
Once you grow a little in power you'll get diminishing returns on only taking out trash looter mobs and you should move up to bandits and mountain bandits.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ArizonaTank

In my game, I managed to be "hired" on by the Southern Empire as a mercenary. To do this, I joined a noble's fight against brigands; he then was willing to talk with me. In the course of that conversation I was allowed to offer my services as a mercenary.

Being part of the Southern Empire allows me "join" friendly armies. Basically once I latch on, the game has me auto-follow the army leader. From there, I get to participate in land battles and sieges...these are very nice, but the implementation still needs a bit of work.

My biggest issue with these battles is that as the battle starts, I am given the chance to command one of the major formations within the army. Since I am low man on the totem pole, I usually can only pick the archers....so far so good. So I become commander of all the archers in the army...great. As the battle opens, I am given a command by the overall commander to skirmish in front of the infantry...again so far so good. But then the infantry starts to move toward the enemy at a jog, and my archers, who started in the rear of the formation, can never get in front of them. The overall commander is constantly giving me orders, that I just can't implement because the other parts of the army are moving too quickly.   

Still, I can see where the game is going and I like it, and I am certain with time this will be fixed. It may also have something to do with my leaders tactics score, that is low. In previous versions, a high tactics score allowed you more time to plan battles.

Right now I have 64 troops, of mid-range training. My biggest paydays come when I see an enemy noble nearby who does not have enough troops to attack the army, but is shadowing. I usually break off of the main army then attack this one off group. These battles net some good renown and influence...as well as some great weapons and armor to sell.

As you get more troops, one of the critical things is to buy mules and extra horses. These will help your army move faster. Otherwise you may never catch enemy groups.

I noticed that as the Southern Empire takes enemy castles, they are given out to the nobles. So my next trick is to be made a  noble, and get on that gravy train....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 02, 2020, 08:40:40 AM

As you get more troops, one of the critical things is to buy mules and extra horses. These will help your army move faster. Otherwise you may never catch enemy groups.

Good tip. Thanks! :bd:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Surprised many on this thread never got into The Witcher 3.
I guess you guys missed the parts where you can bed three of the most beautiful women in game history in it, plus bordellos full of other women, in near-graphic sex scenes. 

Yskonyn

Quote from: Ian C on April 02, 2020, 08:59:52 AM
I guess you guys missed the parts where you can bed three of the most beautiful women in game history in it, plus bordellos full of other women, in near-graphic sex scenes.

Enough Witcher 3 in this Bannerlord thread already! Take it to your own turf! :knuppel2:  ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 02, 2020, 12:17:13 PM
Quote from: Ian C on April 02, 2020, 08:59:52 AM

Enough Witcher 3 in this Bannerlord thread already! Take it to your own turf! :knuppel2:  ;)

+1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 01, 2020, 07:11:55 PM
Quote from: Toonces on April 01, 2020, 06:16:12 PM

I'm in the same boat. I've tried 3 or 4 times to get into it...it just won't grab me. Not sure why.  :-[

I think one reason for me is that I just don't and can't identify with Geralt. That could be the unifying thread that cuts across all the Witcher games. I've tried to get into them probably 6-8 times, including a recent 2nd shot at Witcher 3, and made it to maybe the halfway point twice.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower