Main Menu

Gotta love Steam...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 27, 2017, 12:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

...it recommends all sorts of shite for me - I mean games I wouldn't likely go near with a barge pole - and yet F1 2017 gets released and I get NOTHING from Steam.

Granted, the Recommends are based on tags on games, but seldom do they even remotely look like a game I'm going to purchase.

However, you'd think given I own every single edition of F1 from 2010 it might be able to make an educated guess that I'd be interested in this title being released  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Greybriar

I still don't like Steam, but at least I don't hate it like I used to. My biggest problem with Steam (and about everything else connected with  PC gaming) is the EULA. But being the addicted gamer that I am, I just had to own some of those games that were only available on Steam. *sigh*
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Greybriar on August 27, 2017, 01:03:25 AM
I still don't like Steam, but at least I don't hate it like I used to. My biggest problem with Steam (and about everything else connected with  PC gaming) is the EULA. But being the addicted gamer that I am, I just had to own some of those games that were only available on Steam. *sigh*
A bullet many of us have had to bite  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

GDS_Starfury

Ive never had a problem with Steam and I originally approached with a lot of trepidation.
I have more of a problem with how much of a douche bag Vettle has been this year with Ferrari.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 27, 2017, 01:39:56 AM
Ive never had a problem with Steam and I originally approached with a lot of trepidation.
I have more of a problem with how much of a douche bag Vettle has been this year with Ferrari.
I've never had an issue, per se...but I understand people may not like their system. Third party DRM does annoy me, but then I'm not sure Steam can do anything about that.

I just found it odd that Steam wouldn't understand that I would be a guaranteed £45 when a new F1 game came out  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Staggerwing

Do you have a lot of racing games in your Steam inventory or on your 'I'm interested' list? I don't think that their system tracks what specific titles (as in what series) you buy or follow development on so much as what kind (along with what others with similar lists get) when they push suggestions on you.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Father Ted

I think it's pretty clever really.  I mean it "knows" you're going to buy the new F1 game whatever, so why waste resources in trying to persuade you to do so?

Jarhead0331

I love steam. My only regret is that I didn't think of the concept first.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 27, 2017, 06:05:59 AM
Do you have a lot of racing games in your Steam inventory or on your 'I'm interested' list? I don't think that their system tracks what specific titles (as in what series) you buy or follow development on so much as what kind (along with what others with similar lists get) when they push suggestions on you.
I have lots of driving games. Other games show up with Driving and Simulation tags - but not this  :P
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Father Ted on August 27, 2017, 06:26:51 AM
I think it's pretty clever really.  I mean it "knows" you're going to buy the new F1 game whatever, so why waste resources in trying to persuade you to do so?
I suppose it could be that
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Gusington

I didn't like Steam until it got to inside my brain and tried to tell me what a I would like. Most of the time it's recommendations for me are pretty bogus though.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 07:15:54 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on August 27, 2017, 06:26:51 AM
I think it's pretty clever really.  I mean it "knows" you're going to buy the new F1 game whatever, so why waste resources in trying to persuade you to do so?
I suppose it could be that

No !  It "knows" you already have to much F1 games ... ;)

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 12:28:46 AM
...it recommends all sorts of shite for me - I mean games I wouldn't likely go near with a barge pole - and yet F1 2017 gets released and I get NOTHING from Steam.

Granted, the Recommends are based on tags on games, but seldom do they even remotely look like a game I'm going to purchase.

However, you'd think given I own every single edition of F1 from 2010 it might be able to make an educated guess that I'd be interested in this title being released  :idiot2:

F1 2017 splash screen just popped out when I started Steam.

Tuna

Quote from: jomni on August 28, 2017, 05:30:07 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2017, 12:28:46 AM
...it recommends all sorts of shite for me - I mean games I wouldn't likely go near with a barge pole - and yet F1 2017 gets released and I get NOTHING from Steam.

Granted, the Recommends are based on tags on games, but seldom do they even remotely look like a game I'm going to purchase.

However, you'd think given I own every single edition of F1 from 2010 it might be able to make an educated guess that I'd be interested in this title being released  :idiot2:

F1 2017 splash screen just popped out when I started Steam.

It knows that you're friends with JD, but it's not sure if you are intending to buy. So it feels the need to advertise to you!