Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on December 03, 2018, 04:02:49 PM
So I completed a mission to repair the starter station and picked up a little over 100K credits.  But while I was getting the mission to help the chatty "woman" (or fish or whatever she is) I got a phone call, hit Esc to stop the game and when I came back to the game the little sparkly thing was gone and I don't see that mission in my list either.  The conversation was just getting started when I hit Esc.  So I guess I lost that mission, and hopefully that is not the main plot mission.

Got another mission to find silicon around the station using resource probes.  No idea how to launch probes and I don't see any tutorial for that either.

Could they have made this game any harder for new players?!   :(

Press, "Enter". In the menu pop-up on the left side, you'll see the pulldown boxes to deploy satellites and resource probes. Select what you want to probe and it will deploy in your present location. You start the game with 5 satellites, 5 probes and I believe 5 mines.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Good trade investment for making money, skip if you want to figure out on your own (not ground breaking).  Click on the spoiler link below to get the info.

[spoiler]
I started out building ships to trade, however quickly realized that initially this is not the best approach. 

Starting out one of the best investments you can make is mining.  Purchasing Mine ships will cost around 200K+ per however will yield you 50K+ per run depending on what you are mining and where....  within an hour/per you can accumulate 100K+.  This is an active revenue stream and you can continue to branch out from there.  Argon sectors are a good / safe place to start to auto mine.  Miners are a great why to start to build up both your bank account and rep.  Soon your rep will be high enough to open up for more options.
[/spoiler]

Geezer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 03, 2018, 04:09:42 PM
Press, "Enter". In the menu pop-up on the left side, you'll see the pulldown boxes to deploy satellites and resource probes. Select what you want to probe and it will deploy in your present location. You start the game with 5 satellites, 5 probes and I believe 5 mines.

Great, thanks!  I have also been trying to do long range scans near the starter station but I'm not finding anything.  I hit Shift+3 and then R.  I see the pulses go out but there are no question marks on the map for unknown station, and no resource hexes are showing up either.  Watched a guy do it on Youtube and he found all kinds of stuff.  Me, nothing.  Maybe I'm sending them out on the wrong axis?  The X,Y,Z mini map is hard for me to read and figure out how I'm aligned.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Geezer

Very short helpful beginner guide here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_b1op7I0g

You guys are probably all well past this info.  Sadly the first tip he gives is to do the story mission.  From the description it does sound like the mission I lost when hitting Esc is the story mission.  Will have to log in later and see if I can find it again.  If not then it's time to restart the game I guess.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Grim.Reaper

although i prefer reviews from people i know like on these forums, but isn't it odd that no typical media reviews of the game yet unless i have missed them? most of the big names release a review on release day or before so seems different that nothing yet.

Yskonyn

Geezer I do remember a turorial covering probe launching. But nevertheless you're not stuck anymore I see. :)

I did the mission where to scan the anomaly and get sucked into the 'unknown' sector where the alien wants to start conducting research (is that the main plot?)
Yesterday I posted I couldnt find the item, but it turns out buying it doesnt trigger the next stage of the mission. The item is literally left on the ground somewhere in the docking bay. Weird, but there you go.

Played along until I had to evacuate my ship in order to let Anti Matter cells (which Ipicked up earlier) trigger some kind of research test.
My ship, however, gets destroyed in the process and there I am floating in space at  max 7m/s velocity and no other owned assets to pick me up...
Yeah, that's a reload alright!

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Oh, Yskipoos.  You aren't paying attention to what you're being told! :p

Geezer

Yeah, that's the mission that appears to be gone just as I started it.  I asked on Steam if anyone knew whether it was possible to restart it somehow.  No answer yet.

Jarhead0331

One of the good things about X4 over its predecessors is that it is much easier to progress. I'm finding that it is relatively pain free to make a good living and therefore progress in the game. This makes playing rewarding and addictive. You always want to run just one more mission to make a quick 150,000 credits. I've bought several medium miners and have 1,000,000 credits in the bank, just from running several easy missions and then having my miners automine. It was much harder to advance in the prior games in the series and therefore I never stuck with them for long.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 03, 2018, 06:58:31 PM
Oh, Yskipoos.  You aren't paying attention to what you're being told! :p

Ha! Well I was being complacent! I heard fine that the alien told me that my ship would be consumed in the process. I just didnt think the game would leave me floating around like that.

Let't be honest: it doesnt make sense that I need to decrypt some floating comms signal first before he dan contact me while the comms stay fine all the way through jumping an anomaly!
He surely would be able to dispatch a pickup ship for me if he's that all seeing! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 04, 2018, 06:08:00 AM
Ha! Well I was being complacent! I heard fine that the alien told me that my ship would be consumed in the process. I just didnt think the game would leave me floating around like that.

If you'd hired a captain for your main ship you could've asked him to come pick you up.  But hindsight is always 20/20 I guess!

trek

Just read the details of the latest X4 Update and they've included a user's profile for the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS. I just bought one of these a few weeks ago. So, I'm getting closer to buying the game. Still reading more reviews, impressions and new Youtube Vids for my decision.

Also they indicate some fix for the game recognizing controllers (Xbox, etc.)

Pete Dero

Quote from: trek on December 04, 2018, 09:17:29 AM
Also they indicate some fix for the game recognizing controllers (Xbox, etc.)

If I remember correctly X Rebirth had major issues with some controllers and popular joysticks when it was just released.

Not the smartest move from Egosoft introducing the same technical problems in X4.

Huw the Poo

I'm ditching the autotraders for now.  I think you have to set up a satellite network for them to be aware of what and where is available for trade.

So what I've done instead is started to set up autominers!  I've placed a resource probe (no idea whether this helps) in an asteroid field, and a satellite near a nearby silicon ore refinery, then told my miners to mine silicon exclusively.  They make just over 20K per load, so once I've set up a number of them - and found more places that buy silicon - the credits should really start to roll in. :)

PanzersEast

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 04, 2018, 11:26:30 AM
I'm ditching the autotraders for now.  I think you have to set up a satellite network for them to be aware of what and where is available for trade.

So what I've done instead is started to set up autominers!  I've placed a resource probe (no idea whether this helps) in an asteroid field, and a satellite near a nearby silicon ore refinery, then told my miners to mine silicon exclusively.  They make just over 20K per load, so once I've set up a number of them - and found more places that buy silicon - the credits should really start to roll in. :)

I'm making 60K per load in Argon Prime.  I have 5 miners running that sector now with silicon only runs.  I set to auto mine and silicon wares only..... no further instructions needed.

I'm tracking down some abandoned ships.......