Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing.  I only have two going at the moment but I'll add more shortly.

Christ I'm enjoying this game!

Yskonyn

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 04, 2018, 07:57:21 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on December 04, 2018, 06:08:00 AM
Ha! Well I was being complacent! I heard fine that the alien told me that my ship would be consumed in the process. I just didnt think the game would leave me floating around like that.

If you'd hired a captain for your main ship you could've asked him to come pick you up.  But hindsight is always 20/20 I guess!

The problem is that my 'Main' ship really is my only ship. Lol.
So if I had hired a Capt there would have been two people floating in the great dark!

So my savegame is the gamestate where I have loaded the antimatter cells onto the Elite and now I have to find a cheap 2nd ship somewhere.
I am at the big Teladi spaceyard but it only sells X and XL ships which I cant afford.
I now need to scout for a smaller shipyard.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

Wooo, just figured out how to earn a couple of million credits easily...... not a cheat or a hack, just something I passed through without noticing.  Skip if you want to try and figure out on your own.

[spoiler]
Look at the asteroids in Argon Prime..... you will see crystals on some of the side of certain asteroids.  You can shot and gather them and will be put into your inventory.  You can tell which has them from a distance as they will twinkle or blink.... so far the white crystals have yielded the most.  After doing this, head over the the Wharf and go to the shopping cart (vendor) area and you can sell them. 

*Note - drop any Unstable crystals.....

[/spoiler]

Good Hunting!

Huw the Poo

Ysk, Shipyards sell L and XL ships while Wharfs sell S and M ships.

JudgeDredd

I'm hoping this will be in the Steam sale. Unlikely - but I think it's only proper that I wait and see
Alba gu' brath

Geezer

X4: Foundations 1.21 Update Released
X4: Foundations - Egosoft
• Improved automatic GPU selection to prioritise discrete GPUs.
• Fixed freeze when saving the game.
• Fixed some causes of freezes when starting the game.
• Fixed cause of a crash after loading savegame.
• Fixed upgrade orders becoming non-functional when loading a savegame.
• Fixed money not being refunded for cancelled upgrades.
• Fixed ships not being claimable from the space suit.
• Fixed a case that could result in AutoTraders sometimes trading at a loss.
• Fixed excessive delay between damage and start of repairs.
• Fixed several other causes of rare crashes.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Despite my initial frustrations, which were quite severe, I am enjoying the game. I've mentioned it before, but the biggest single factor in this, I believe, is the ability to make worthwhile money in a reasonable manner. In just a few simple missions, you can acquire enough credits to start buying some really significant upgrades and start expanding your own fleet. I have substantial assets and a burgeoning fleet of medium sized miners, and I've barely broken a sweat. I found the barrier much much harder to break through in past titles in the series. I really hope they do not nerf this in updates.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Geezer on December 05, 2018, 10:07:25 AM

Big if true!

PanzersEast

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 05, 2018, 12:52:04 PM
Quote from: Geezer on December 05, 2018, 10:07:25 AM

Big if true!

I thought those Ba$tards where skimming from me!  Hate I jettisoned them in space now  :D  oops, it was a software glitch.

Barthheart

Yskonyn

I've spent my time exploring several sectors in my last two sessions while scouting for a wharf to buy my second ship to be able to continue the anomaly experiment with that alien.

Reading about you guys going the mining outfit way I think I'll just re align my short term plan to do the same; get a small mining squadron going to generate some cash flow while I then continue exploring a bit more.
I like the LRS mechanic and now that I've mapped the controls in a logical way (mimicking Elite where I can because that feels like a natural setup for me) to my HOTAS zipping about the universe is quite intuitive and painless.

JH, I'll put up a little guide tomorrow where (hopefully) I can share some screenshots (not at my gaming rig atm) regarding the hotas controls.

Still haven't found any game breaking bugs, just a few minor things:

-You can get stuck in the elevator if your body clips into the door while riding upwards.
-I always have to activate the pilot's seat twice before I actually sit down.
-The NPC ship chatter is absolutely horendous; childish lines of text and repeated into oblivion.
-Ships clipping through the structure of docking bays or yard doors.
-NPC humanoid models getting stuck in awkward poses.

Despite this, I am absolutely loving the way the world feels alive. Civilian and military ships scurry about stations, traffic is dense around the bigger object and the way you see ships coming and going around platforms as well as in the bigger hangars is just awesome!

The fact that you can outfit your objects with crew and manager positions just makes me feel like I am running a venture with purpose and I am eager to find out the little nuances that are there without a doubt concerning efficiency, etc in relation to staffing and traffic flow.

And that the game scales seamlessly in real time between the macro universe view and travel to the detailed goings on within a station is just mind blowing in my opinion! Looking forward VERY much to playing again tomorrow.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 05, 2018, 05:03:17 PM
-You can get stuck in the elevator if your body clips into the door while riding upwards.

Press shift-D if this happens.  It will teleport you back to your ship from anywhere in the station.

QuoteThe fact that you can outfit your objects with crew and manager positions just makes me feel like I am running a venture with purpose and I am eager to find out the little nuances that are there without a doubt concerning efficiency, etc in relation to staffing and traffic flow.

Yeah, the X series has always been about this kind of thing ever since X2.  It's more of an economic strategy game really, which just happens to be played from the cockpit of a ship!  That's why I love the changes to the map so much, it's a hundred times easier to manage your empire now.

Has anyone seen the equivalent of an M6 from previous games yet?  That is, a ship that can carry a single, smaller ship inside it?

Also, when I'm buying a new ship is there any way I can guarantee I will get a captain of at least three stars?  I bought a ship to autotrade this evening, to test the latest patch that supposedly fixes it, but it came with a 2-star captain whereas you need 3 stars to autotrade.

Barthheart

Man, I'm going to have to stop reading this thread to have any hope of not buying in.....  :timeout:

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Barthheart on December 05, 2018, 06:41:57 PM
Man, I'm going to have to stop reading this thread to have any hope of not buying in.....  :timeout:

Apparently if you fly a capital ship, you can walk out into the docking area and watch your ships launch and dock....knowing you can jump in and pilot one any time.  Meanwhile you have a shield factory, or munitions factory, or solar cell factory somewhere each with its own fleet of haulers gathering components or distributing them to NPC factions for cash.  You can of course do this yourself too.

Perhaps if you're bored, you jump into your personal destroyer, summon up a wing of heavy fighters, send some interceptors ahead as a scouting party, and go looking for a fight.

Or maybe you'd like to build a personal modular station, planning it out, designing it, adding to it as you see fit, and assigning a squadron of destroyers to defend it?  Perhaps you jump into a heavy fighter to take out the smaller enemy ships while your destroyers pound away at the big guys?

;)

Barthheart

You... are not helping..... :buck2: