Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

We will know if it's a great game if Gus doesn't show up here all weekend. He's either on a Honeymoon to Britannia or else called-up to fight the Battle of the Bronx.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I actually have to refight the Battle of Brooklyn - I have a communion to attend tomorrow night there, which means leaving from my house 3 hours early to fight the Saturday traffic, the Cinco de Mayo traffic, the summerlike weather traffic, the Day that Ends in Y traffic...you get the idea. Few things stress me out more than driving in to the metro area with my family.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna


Gusington

300.00 one way please. And there are very few Ubers in my county, if any.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hofstadter



This dude hits a lot of problems of the game quite well. As in, its SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

I mean I'll still play it, I enjoy the game, but theres a fair amount of annoying crap in it.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

JudgeDredd

Oddly perhaps, I was tempted to buy it after watching his video. Even though he couldn't really recommend it, he did say if you want a slower TW game, then perhaps it's for you...and I kind of thought "mmmmm".

I also have an interest in the region too obviously, though not particularly the era.

I'm still holding off at the moment.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Zulu1966

#246
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 05, 2018, 03:34:55 AM
Oddly perhaps, I was tempted to buy it after watching his video. Even though he couldn't really recommend it, he did say if you want a slower TW game, then perhaps it's for you...and I kind of thought "mmmmm".

I also have an interest in the region too obviously, though not particularly the era.

I'm still holding off at the moment.

I think its good. I also have an interest in the region but also the era.

Mainly due to this guy. The documentaries he produced were superlative examples of how to create amtosphere with very little.

They are 30 years old but still rank amongst the best things I have ever seen.

whole series of them - aint great quality on you tube but available elsewhere on DVD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbHq1MuI4o

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

mikeck

I think the Total War model now is perfect. Look, no matter what "thing" the devs add to total war, half hate it and half love it. People bitched mercilessly that battles were over too quickly. Now? It's that battles take too long. People complained that the region mechanic introduced in Rome 2 was an unnecessarily complex layer. So when the streamline it, the complaint is that it's simplistic. Total War is the game everyone loves to hate. The "Manchester United", "Dallas cowboys" or "Lebron James" of gaming

So what you have now is an extremely moddable game that allows players to adjust the length of battles, deadliness of a unit or complexity of the economy to their desires.

So a reviewer saying the game is too slow falls on deaf ears to me since I know there will be mods to speed it up.

So don't despair. As long as you enjoy the era and TW games in general, you will be able to make the game exactly what you want
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on May 06, 2018, 02:23:17 PM
I think the Total War model now is perfect. Look, no matter what "thing" the devs add to total war, half hate it and half love it. People bitched mercilessly that battles were over too quickly. Now? It's that battles take too long. People complained that the region mechanic introduced in Rome 2 was an unnecessarily complex layer. So when the streamline it, the complaint is that it's simplistic. Total War is the game everyone loves to hate. The "Manchester United", "Dallas cowboys" or "Lebron James" of gaming

So what you have now is an extremely moddable game that allows players to adjust the length of battles, deadliness of a unit or complexity of the economy to their desires.

So a reviewer saying the game is too slow falls on deaf ears to me since I know there will be mods to speed it up.

So don't despair. As long as you enjoy the era and TW games in general, you will be able to make the game exactly what you want
I thought one of his complaints was that it wasn't moddable in that Steam Workshop was not linked in the game or even supported?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

The biggest complaint I've had about Total War for a long time, in general, is how most of the battles end up being siege battles or siege-related sortie battles.  It wasn't like this in the two original TWs.  After all the improvements over the years, they've continually screwed this up.

I'm hoping the placing of the outlying resource locations on the map will reduce the frequency of siege battles by giving more reason to actually fight field battles and defend territory.  Instead of turtling up, along with the garrison bonus, the best option.  I have doubts as to whether the TW AI will be able to handle the more complicated decisions to involved in defending economic locations, however.  Will be waiting to see if it has improved in Britannia.

The amount of fokeen siege battles in my TW campaigns is what always makes me stop playing them.  I love the TW series, but it has had this huge glaring wart for years.  The siege battles suck balls, yet the game often devolves into armies hiding in cities when they don't have a big advantage.

jomni


fabius

Yeah I hated too many siege battles in Rome2. Even with nice things DEI mod did to the game, siege battles almost all the time turned me off.

Looks like with Brit open battles are more often.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on May 06, 2018, 08:12:21 PM
Isn't that realistic?

Historical sieges happening often?  To an extent.  Siege battles happening constantly?  Not so much.  Yet that's what TW has devolved into.

Holing up in a fort and letting your enemy siege you was a last resort in the hopes that you could hold out until a reinforcing army showed up to help, or in the hope your sieging opponent sprouted some new & bigger problems to attend and left to deal with them.  If nobody was coming to your rescue, or some major stroke of luck happened, the fortified group was often screwed. 

That being said, my point to complaining about the overabundance of siege battles in TW is that large armies often voluntarily met head-to-head in the field in antiquity after some jockeying for ideal terrain. 

The Total War series has disincentivized fighting field battles in their campaigns for a long time, and they haven't made much effort to change that until now.  That appears to be a big part of the reason the change was made, anyway.  I can't attest to how well the AI handles it, but I support any concerted effort to make field battles happen again (without the cheesy trial & error randomness of the "Ambush" mode).

Gusington

Fall of the Samurai has fantastic sieges, replete with off shore bombardment...best TW sieges, always fun and exciting.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2018, 08:42:06 PM
Fall of the Samurai has fantastic sieges, replete with off shore bombardment...best TW sieges, always fun and exciting.

Though Japanese sieges are like open battle too... walls can be scaled without equipment.