Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 06, 2018, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: mikeck on May 06, 2018, 02:23:17 PM
I think the Total War model now is perfect. Look, no matter what "thing" the devs add to total war, half hate it and half love it. People bitched mercilessly that battles were over too quickly. Now? It's that battles take too long. People complained that the region mechanic introduced in Rome 2 was an unnecessarily complex layer. So when the streamline it, the complaint is that it's simplistic. Total War is the game everyone loves to hate. The "Manchester United", "Dallas cowboys" or "Lebron James" of gaming

So what you have now is an extremely moddable game that allows players to adjust the length of battles, deadliness of a unit or complexity of the economy to their desires.

So a reviewer saying the game is too slow falls on deaf ears to me since I know there will be mods to speed it up.

So don't despair. As long as you enjoy the era and TW games in general, you will be able to make the game exactly what you want
I thought one of his complaints was that it wasn't moddable in that Steam Workshop was not linked in the game or even supported?

Yes...that there isn't a steamworkshop for it yet. It hasn't been out a week yet. I've no reason to think that after a dozen TW games, this one is coded to prohibit modding
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: mikeck on May 08, 2018, 10:45:59 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 06, 2018, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: mikeck on May 06, 2018, 02:23:17 PM
I think the Total War model now is perfect. Look, no matter what "thing" the devs add to total war, half hate it and half love it. People bitched mercilessly that battles were over too quickly. Now? It's that battles take too long. People complained that the region mechanic introduced in Rome 2 was an unnecessarily complex layer. So when the streamline it, the complaint is that it's simplistic. Total War is the game everyone loves to hate. The "Manchester United", "Dallas cowboys" or "Lebron James" of gaming

So what you have now is an extremely moddable game that allows players to adjust the length of battles, deadliness of a unit or complexity of the economy to their desires.

So a reviewer saying the game is too slow falls on deaf ears to me since I know there will be mods to speed it up.

So don't despair. As long as you enjoy the era and TW games in general, you will be able to make the game exactly what you want
I thought one of his complaints was that it wasn't moddable in that Steam Workshop was not linked in the game or even supported?

Yes...that there isn't a steamworkshop for it yet. It hasn't been out a week yet. I've no reason to think that after a dozen TW games, this one is coded to prohibit modding

Just saw that there is now a Steam Workshop for Thrones of Brittania...if the reviewer would have cooled his jets and let a week go by. Lol
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Tpek on November 14, 2017, 02:20:07 PM
Sorry, but the only thing I have to say is "Not again...".

What about China? India? The Ancient Middle-East/Levant? Africa for something completely original.

Why do they keep doing the exact same game over and over and over again. :(
I don't have a problem with the concept, but I agree that the Ancient Middle East/Levant would be awesome. AFAIK, the only thing out there at the moment is Slitherine's now very dated Chariots of War. There is still quite a lot of variation between the armies of the time, so no one should get bored.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on May 08, 2018, 03:59:21 PM

What about China? India? The Ancient Middle-East/Levant? Africa for something completely original.

I don't have a problem with the concept, but I agree that the Ancient Middle East/Levant would be awesome. AFAIK, the only thing out there at the moment is Slitherine's now very dated Chariots of War. There is still quite a lot of variation between the armies of the time, so no one should get bored.

China is coming. Total War Three Kingdoms.

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on May 08, 2018, 10:06:17 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 08, 2018, 03:59:21 PM

China is coming. Total War Three Kingdoms.
Wow! That will be good. Do I play the devious Cao Cao, the benevolent Liu Bei, or the honourable Sun Quan? 8) I hope they improve the strategic level to reflect the diplomatic shenanigans, betrayals etc.

If anyone is interested in the period there is a really entertaining film called Red Cliff directed by John Woo set in the period. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

^I've had Red Cliff in my Netflix queue forever. Gotta get around to watching it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Wouldn't the units during this period be even more a like than in Britannia?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Stryker07

Granted, I do love the region and period, but I'm having a blast with ToB. I am a TW fan overall, but the setup of the map makes for a decent game. Battles fought for those are essentially field battles with a few buildings thrown about, and they have to garrison, so the AI is much more likely to engage full stack vs full stack at these locations. I've put something like 30 hours into it since release, and has been my go to game as of late.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 09, 2018, 09:03:58 AM
Wouldn't the units during this period be even more a like than in Britannia?

The funny thing about that is the "period" in Thrones of Britannia is what?  About 200-300 years.  Roughly the same for waring states or whatever for China, while the "Period" for
The Ancient Near East/Levant would be say 3500 BC to 500 BC or about 10 times the unit diversity.  The earliest Armies would barely have enough crude shields and stone-tipped spears to go around and no chariots or cavalry.  Later armies would get chariots and cavalry and composit bows and iron weapons and good armor etc. etc.  And the Assyrians would be the top force to emulate. or the Persians or the Hittites or maybe the Babylonians.  Maybe.  I said  "maybe"...the Babylonians.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd