Dark Dungeons

Started by besilarius, November 25, 2017, 09:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Okay, first of all, you need to know about Chick Comics.  Jack Chick was a True Believer.  He knew what was in the Bible, and what was God's will, and the hell with the rest of you.  The comics are  filled with bile and hatred.  Jack was a Uniter, not a divider, and Hindus, Mohammedans, Jews, Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Neo-Pagans, Agnostics, Atheists, and anyone to the Left of Attila the Hun were all damned for eternity.  He knew where God stood. 
He produced many dozens (perhaps hundreds) of small comic booklet tracts, detailing how every one who didn't understand things that way he did was going to hell.  Many of you who were around in the 70's will remember these booklets - handed out or left all over the - they might be on bus seats, crammed into books in the library, (any book dealing with ideas or discoveries that proceeded the Copper Age), the pews of liberal churches, etc. 
At any rate, he did a couple, condemning Dungeons and Dragons.  The best was entitled 'Dark Dungeons'.  A small film group asked if they could make a movie of it, and Jack gave his assent, provided that they play it straight - no satire or heresy.  The group readily agreed, (Chick Comics have no need for any hostile or artificial treatment, they are great entertainment in their own right).  And so we come to this, a precautionary tale, should you deny the Lil' Baby Jesus, and venture into the dripping demonology of Dungeons & Dragons....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LADLv1803Vw
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Tpek

I watched that movie several times already.
It's pretty hilarious.

Adding closed captioning improves it further (how the subtitles state "rpg music is playing").

As for Chick himself,
I used to read his online tracts for laughs, and posted about them on several forums(/fora) until I met people who actually took them seriously.