War in the West worth getting?

Started by Tuna, November 26, 2017, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Sale seems pretty deep for this one. What is the big difference between this and WITE, the Air war?

IronX

I think that's the most notable difference. WitW is a great game and I preferred it over the East game - but that's mainly my western bias. The Italian campaigns are enjoyable and manageable. I particularly like the way invasions are managed. They take time to build up, so can't be made on a whim.

Tuna

I think my issue is, I bought WITE when it came out, and really did not get that heavily into it. I liked the smaller campaigns but they were too fast. I couldn't see myself getting into the slugfest of the main campaign. So I'm guess I'm wondering if this has like medium level campaigns that don't take up all your time, but still give you a good amount of fun to make it worth it.

nelmsm

Great game. War in the East 2 will be much more linear in the West, especially the air war.

IronX

As you know, it's not a game for the faint of heart. But there are some smaller scenarios like Rommel Attacks, OP Husky, OP Dragoon, the Bulge. These run from 5-12 turns, while some of the medium-sized ones are 25-36 turns, such as Breaching the Gothic Line, Torch to Tunisia, the 1945 campaign, etc. Then there are the main campaigns like D-Day (62 turns) and Battleground Italy (95 turns), etc. So there is a mix of small, medium and large scenarios.

mikeck

I prefer war in the west. I love planning and executing the amphibious landing operations and managing air operations. In WitE, I felt like I was just moving chits. In WitW, I feel like I'm actually planning major operations. Just seems to be more to it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Barthheart

Thanks for this. I'm looking at WitW too with the discount... but not sure I have the brain power or the attention span for monster games anymore...  :(

Grim.Reaper

add this to my sad list.....forgot last year i won this by winning the matrix fantasy football league and have never fired it up......guess i ought to give it a try:)

Blucher

I found the air model in WITW to be incredibly tedious.  Also the A.I. is awful.

Tuna

I ended up going with three other games instead  Project Zomboid,  Endless Space 2 and Flashpoint Campaigns.

-budd-

Quote from: Tuna on November 29, 2017, 05:56:37 AM
I ended up going with three other games instead  Project Zomboid,  Endless Space 2 and Flashpoint Campaigns.
Haven't played ES2, but the others games I'll vouch for. Just started a pbem game with FPC after not playing for a year, sometimes it's nice to not have to move a bunch of counters and just give orders. PZ, let's see how long you live  ;D.....don't get greedy.........don't forget to turn the lights off, and check out the workshop for mods.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Tuna

ahh didn't realize I need to leave the lights off.. do zombies break in when you're sleeping if you don't?.. So far I've done two runs.. died at 4 days on the first one.. I'm still alive on my fourth day on the 2nd one.

Yeah, I bought Strategic Command recently as well, but since I'm playing that one, I figured it wasn't time to take a WITW plunge, even though it was a heck of a big discount in Matrix terms.. Maybe they've changed their ways.

bbmike

Was Project Zomboid the one with the really bad user interface?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak