War in the West worth getting?

Started by Tuna, November 26, 2017, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tuna

Quote from: bbmike on November 29, 2017, 06:53:46 AM
Was Project Zomboid the one with the really bad user interface?

Yeah, I had a horrible time with the demo last year. But I really liked the concept so took the plunge. I'm not having as hard a time now, so maybe they smoothed out the reactions to the controls. Also it looks like you can re-map the keys (haven't ventured there yet)..

LOL I should re-map the Q key for (Shout).. it's too close to WASD, and you end up inadvertently shouting while trying to sneak by Zombies!

chemkid

#16
Quote from: Tuna on November 29, 2017, 07:27:20 AM
[...]
LOL I should re-map the Q key for (Shout).. it's too close to WASD, and you end up inadvertently shouting while trying to sneak by Zombies!
haha!  :))

...which reminds me, my first play of DayZ mod - i died of hunger and thirst because i wouldn't go into that house... i was waiting in the tall grass and watched the zombies flop around until i just died!  :DD (haven't played anything zombie to that day except minecraft - btw, i was shocked of mc, too...)

-budd-

Quote from: bbmike on November 29, 2017, 06:53:46 AM
Was Project Zomboid the one with the really bad user interface?

I had a terrible time with the demo years ago, its better now, you get used to it. Back then you couldn't remap keys.

If your playing on normal food and water aren't really an issue right from the start. Wait until the power grid goes down, it tends to get worse as you go along ;) . Find a place to base up and start putting curtains up and boarding up while scavenging to stock up on food and water. Start making long term plans for food, water and surviving the elements. Not going to say too much the fun of the game is figuring out the " how to's" .

Between this and 7 Days to die i get my zombie fix.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

sandman2575

Quote from: Blucher on November 29, 2017, 12:58:47 AM
I found the air model in WITW to be incredibly tedious.  Also the A.I. is awful.


Maybe not exactly speaking to your criticism, but I find the whole 'setting air directives' mechanic incredibly confusing. In theory I like the added sophistication over WitE, but in truth I find WitE much easier to play and enjoy than WitW exactly because of my confusion over how to use airpower in WitW.

...also finding TOAW IV incredibly hard to fathom right now.  Must be getting old and addled....  ???

BanzaiCat

Geez, guys...ALL these links and nobody posted the review for this title...from GrogHeads?

http://grogheads.com/review/7491

(Of course I only know of this review because I wrote it...)

bob48

You did indeed wrote it and I wread it!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

We do reviews here? Where would I find them?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

I used to know....now let me think  ???
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on November 30, 2017, 04:54:26 PM
We do reviews here? Where would I find them?
Front page


du du duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

sandman2575

Quote from: bbmike on November 30, 2017, 06:32:01 PM
We have a front page?


This really should be Grogheads.com's official motto. Placed on the front page.

Sir Slash

We have a Front Page yes, but do we have a 'Last Page'? Or is this it?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 30, 2017, 06:56:39 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 30, 2017, 06:32:01 PM
We have a front page?


This really should be Grogheads.com's official motto. Placed on the front page.

I don't like that front page thing, it doesn't look like our site, not familiar like here!

BanzaiCat

This whole 'where TF is the front page' thing is like Fonzie jumping the shark, except more amusing and topical.

Blucher

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 29, 2017, 08:30:49 PM
Quote from: Blucher on November 29, 2017, 12:58:47 AM
I found the air model in WITW to be incredibly tedious.  Also the A.I. is awful.


Maybe not exactly speaking to your criticism, but I find the whole 'setting air directives' mechanic incredibly confusing. In theory I like the added sophistication over WitE, but in truth I find WitE much easier to play and enjoy than WitW exactly because of my confusion over how to use airpower in WitW.

...also finding TOAW IV incredibly hard to fathom right now.  Must be getting old and addled....  ???

The air system is incredibly confusing. Last time I was playing the game I managed to finally figure it out. And it is easier then the WITE system for assigning the massive amounts of Allied planes but I liked the WITE system better. It was easy to use and didn't feel as clunky. Also WITW just is lacking something maybe it's because the Germans are on the defensive the entire game it just doesn't have the drama I guess of the Eastern Front. Speaking on the AI One thing I can't stand about both titles is that the AI will just abandon good positions and fall back. It will set up a new position but with a limited amount of units threatening it it will fall back again and again. I found it incredibly frustrating and turned me off of both titles as WITE also suffers from this. Look I am not a good player and most AI's will give me a run for my money but this AI is some of the worst. Ultimately I got bored of WITW and moved on to other games. I know people always say so play PBEM but with two young kids my gaming time is limited and as of now I can't invest the amount of time required for a PBEM.