Civ VI: Rise and Fall expansion

Started by RedArgo, November 28, 2017, 10:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jamus34

#90
Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 09, 2018, 01:23:38 PM
It does, but I'm still leery of subscribing to Humble Bundle. They've offered some good deals in it, but I've also seen some stuff I'm just not interested in.

Yeah it's tough. I'll get a month I have no interest and be like ok, if I get 2 in a row I'm done. Then they throw something good out there. Next month is Dark Souls 3 so I'll stay in for that. 

I've come to the conclusion I'm a game hoarder. I'll buy games I realistically will probably never play because "I need them". That said it's pretty much my only vice, so I guess so be it.
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

Quote from: jamus34 on February 10, 2018, 07:53:02 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 09, 2018, 01:23:38 PM
It does, but I'm still leery of subscribing to Humble Bundle. They've offered some good deals in it, but I've also seen some stuff I'm just not interested in.

Yeah it's tough. I'll get a month I have no interest and be like ok, if I get 2 in a row I'm done. Then they throw something good out there. Next month is Dark Souls 3 so I'll stay in for that. 

I've come to the conclusion I'm a game hoarder. I'll buy games I realistically will probably never play because "I need them". That said it's pretty much my only vice, so I guess so be it.

Hi. I'm bbmike. I too am a game hoarder.  :-[

Next time on "Game Hoarders":

Psychologist/Professional Organizer: Do you need all of these games?
bbmike: Yes!
Psychologist/Professional Organizer: Maybe you can give up one or two...
bbmike: No, I need more! There's a Steam sale coming!
Psychologist/Professional Organizer: Is this Command HQ still on your hard drive?!?
bbmike: I need that! It reminds me of my board games!
Psychologist/Professional Organizer: [facepalm] Board games?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jamus34

I have not hit the board game hoarding mindset yet. Typically all the games I buy we play, that said no hardcore war games as it's not exactly my kids cup o tea. Ticket to ride and carcassone (SIC) are the heaviest we go so far.

That said, if I found a local board gaming / rpg group that would change and quickly. I do have issues with books although I've gotten better with using the local library system to read books I don't necessarily want to buy.
Insert witty comment here.

Zulu1966

Game just endlessly crashes after applying RAF
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Yskonyn

Get rid of any mods (unsub), then verify integrity of game files in steam and you're golden.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Also make sure you're not trying to load any saved advanced game configs from before Rise and Fall.  If you saved a config pre-expansion it tries to re-enable the mods that you had active then.  That was giving me fits till I figured it out.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

I'm getting a similar issue. I played Civ VI for a huge amount of turns and don't recall any issues.

Since installing RaF and restarting a fresh game, I've played twice and had 2 BSoD. Both seemed to have happened within a similar amount of time. I'll have to monitor the turns next time and the time after to see if there's anything going on with turns

I'll also verify game files to see how that goes.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

I played R&F all weekend with any trouble at all.

I'm really enjoying the additions to the game. Lots more to think about and plan ahead for laying out your cities, not just where to put them but where to put their districts and how they will interact with each other.
For instance, playing as Korea your science districts now give you a flat +4 science instead of adjacency bonuses. Which is nice because you don't have to worry about that any more, but it needs to be on a hill. But if you put any other district next to the science one you lose 1 of that +4... even next to the city center so it needs to be placed fairly remotely. And if you put mines or farms next to the science place you get bonus food and production.

Diplomacy is more filled out too. Alliances are now good things and you want to keep them for a long time. You also don't want others to make them with your neighbors.

Good stuff so far.
O0

Yskonyn

Yeah man ! The game requires you to have a strategy now, where before you could go with the flow more.
You also have to keep an eye on what other nations are up to.
Very fun new mechanics have been added; governors are cool, new diplo system is better and the constant ebb and flow of the Golden or Dark Age timer is a fun thing.
I do feel that Civ 6 has moved more towards being an electronic boardgame instead of the strategy game it was with IV. Perhaps this is why some people don't like it?
I am very happy with the game, though!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Zulu1966

I will try the suggestions. Pretty sure I just have vanilla content and DLC. But will give it a go. Played before with no issues.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Gusington

Can the player influence/control the coming of a dark age or golden age or are they random?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2018, 08:41:22 AM
Can the player influence/control the coming of a dark age or golden age or are they random?

You control them by doing noteworthy things. Be the first to circumnavigate the world get Era points, build a wonder get Era points etc.

You need to build up a certain number of points to make sure you don't sink into a Dark era. Build up lots of points and  you can get a Golden era. If you are in a Dark age and build up enough points to go into a Golden era you get an Heroic era instead (twice as good as a Golden era).

Each type of era gives you a selection of buffs to chose from, Heroic gets 2, that last for the entire era. So you have to think about what you want to accomplish in the new era but still with an eye to what you'll need to stay out of a Dark Era next time around.

With each era, and type of era, the points needed for the next increase. So it's difficult to have 2 Golden eras is a row, and very hard, but not impossible as I've done it, to have 3 in a row. But the number of era points you need for the next era are increased by the number of cities you have and how well you did in the last era. So even though I managed 3 Goldens in a row my next era was Dark because I just could not keep up the pace of advancement.

It's a fun feature to manage.


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

It's a blast to play around with. Trying to pile up the points as the years tick by but not get too many or the next era will be tougher.

Lots of good stuff in this expansion.

bbmike

Yeah, this was a big expansion. Right now I have the "just one more turn" feeling again.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak