Main Menu

Fridayed

Started by Barthheart, May 03, 2018, 10:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

(HT to Staggerwing for putting me on to this.)

My weekend starts at 1530 today, as our annual Cottage Opening weekend begins.

Some log splitting, stacking to be done.

Get the dock put in if the ice has actually left the lake... reports last week that there was still about 4" on the lake... but it's been warm and rainy all week up there so here's hoping.

Lots of beer drinking and some board games. Lots of food. Bourbon, port, more beer, more food.

One of our group is moving to England to be a kept man while his wife makes scads of money with a pharmaceutical company. So this is a big send off for him as well.

And I've got Monday off as well to recover and rebuild my pool salt water system.

HoodedHorseJoe

I've got Call to Arms to try out, for science, and I'm hoping to finally jump into Battletech. I'm also determined to get better at TOAWIV.

On Sunday I'm going to visit a Megagame/Wargame group up in London for one of their monthly meetings and help trial WIP projects.

I'll be taking my four-month old daughter with me, so it's going to be an adventure all round.

Monday's a bank holiday for us as well here in the UK, provided my fiance doesn't try and get me to "do something", more gaming! Yay!
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Gusington

I can't stop playing Field of Glory 2 - something about it is addicting. Playing out an epic Battle of Issus as the Persians now, then probably Gaugamela and then a proper Alexander campaign...not sure if I will play the campaign that came with the game (a what if scenario) or a more historical one that I downloaded.

Also really want to start a Domina game as well as Apotheon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Love me some Decemberists....great song choice BH.  Somehow I find myself knee deep in the British campaign in Napoleon: Total War.  Having fund with it.

Sir Slash

Barth, that's too much stuff to do. I need to take a nap just reading about it. Family coming this weekend so little gaming but I am still working my way through Birth of America 2 when it's quiet, the French & Indian Campaign. Every year when it gets to be Fall, all my Indian and Militia units disband/go home.  :o  Leaving me to cope through the Winter until they re-form in Spring automatically. Love it! Why didn't this make it into any other AGEOD game?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 03, 2018, 12:00:42 PM
Barth, that's too much stuff to do. I need to take a nap just reading about it. Family coming this weekend so little gaming but I am still working my way through Birth of America 2 when it's quiet, the French & Indian Campaign. Every year when it gets to be Fall, all my Indian and Militia units disband/go home.  :o  Leaving me to cope through the Winter until they re-form in Spring automatically. Love it! Why didn't this make it into any other AGEOD game?

I need to play BoA2 again.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!

For a second there, I thought I had lost a day....whew!

Will keep on keepin' on in RO2 / RS / RS:Vietnam and have dipped my toe into the wackiness that is Tom Clancy GR Wildlands and have to say that I'm finding it fun.  Granted, I've tried to make my character look as much like Kenny Powers as possible (white male, cornrolled hair, horseshoe moustache as the goatee in the game just don't cut it for me, and wife beater t-shirt) to keep the whole asshole-gringo-in-south-america thing going, so that makes me giggle.

And also still wrestling with the riding lawn mower's steering issue, so I've got that going for me too.

Have fun, folks!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on May 03, 2018, 12:02:25 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on May 03, 2018, 12:00:42 PM

I need to play BoA2 again.  O0
That was a great game. I need to go back to it.

However - I'll be modelling some and playing Battletech and God of War. Also, weather permitting, I may get Target for Today setup in the garden for going through the manual

And possibly some F1 2017 thrown in to get Silverstone done and dusted.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

The more I played Target For Today, the more disappointed I've become. I was taken in by a lot of reviews singing its praises, and now, well...it's got some coolness to it, sure, but you're pretty much on a RNG rail, hoping you don't get blown up. I think that is actually the appeal to it, the randomness, which tells a story...but you don't really get a chance to make a lot of meaningful decisions other than the Campaign and plane you want to play/fly, respectively.

I mean, in my first mission, in the first zone I moved into, we got attacked and took a hit to the Bomb Bay. That fortunately resulted in superficial damage, though there's a chance it could have hit the bomb load and blown the plane and crew to oblivion. Talk about a womp-womp start had that happened.

I'll keep giving it a try, but I'm pretty disappointed I spent as much as I did on it and am not 'feeling it' if that makes sense. :(

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: BanzaiCat on May 03, 2018, 03:42:48 PM
The more I played Target For Today, the more disappointed I've become. I was taken in by a lot of reviews singing its praises, and now, well...it's got some coolness to it, sure, but you're pretty much on a RNG rail, hoping you don't get blown up. I think that is actually the appeal to it, the randomness, which tells a story...but you don't really get a chance to make a lot of meaningful decisions other than the Campaign and plane you want to play/fly, respectively.

I mean, in my first mission, in the first zone I moved into, we got attacked and took a hit to the Bomb Bay. That fortunately resulted in superficial damage, though there's a chance it could have hit the bomb load and blown the plane and crew to oblivion. Talk about a womp-womp start had that happened.

I'll keep giving it a try, but I'm pretty disappointed I spent as much as I did on it and am not 'feeling it' if that makes sense. :(

That's how I felt so I sold it on after two playthroughs.  As there's almost no decision-making involved it feels more like a story generator and not a game.  I think this is the sort of thing a PC game handles better. 

B-17 Flying Fortress Leader is far and away the best of the lot when it comes to the recent spate of solitaire USAAF bombing campaign games IMO.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 03, 2018, 03:52:46 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on May 03, 2018, 03:42:48 PM

That's how I felt so I sold it on after two playthroughs.  As there's almost no decision-making involved it feels more like a story generator and not a game.  I think this is the sort of thing a PC game handles better. 

B-17 Flying Fortress Leader is far and away the best of the lot when it comes to the recent spate of solitaire USAAF bombing campaign games IMO.
Wasn't Queen of the Skies the same? That's how I felt about it (QotS) and was advised by many that it's a story generator and there are no decisions to make. I took that on board - though I didn't go back to try it - but bought Target for Today anyway - mainly because although I knew it was the "same game", it had upgraded components

I'll see...I'll put my story telling head on and see where I go.
Alba gu' brath

nelmsm

Picked up Wars of Succession and TOAW IV with my Matrix anniversary coupon so he giving those a look see plus playing CMANO until I either get it or get frustrated and play some Flashpoint Campaign plus a few PBEM files and enough yard work to make the wife smile.

Destraex

Quote from: WargamerJoe on May 03, 2018, 10:24:55 AM
I've got Call to Arms to try out, for science, and I'm hoping to finally jump into Battletech. I'm also determined to get better at TOAWIV.

On Sunday I'm going to visit a Megagame/Wargame group up in London for one of their monthly meetings and help trial WIP projects.

I'll be taking my four-month old daughter with me, so it's going to be an adventure all round.

Monday's a bank holiday for us as well here in the UK, provided my fiance doesn't try and get me to "do something", more gaming! Yay!

Make sure you press E when selecting one soldier and scroll in to aim. THAT is a lot of fun.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

BanzaiCat

JD, that's just a very early opinion of mine. SDR's played through it a lot longer than I (two full campaigns?).

It's definitely QotS on steroids. There's a TON of content in TfT that big time fleshes out QotS's relatively paltry tables.

However, it's not organized too well; it was somewhat frustrating for me as I had to flip flip flip here and flip flip flip there and sometimes not find what I was looking for. One of the books had a page misplaced in it which is a pain, and there's a lot of errata on BGG. Nothing game-breaking with the latter, just more fleshed-out stuff, but still, it's extra stuff that I need to figure how to 'absorb' and learn.

I think there's a lot of fan-made stuff online that helps walk you through these - one is an absolutely essential flowchart that ensures you do not miss any steps in the game, which the book is strangely missing (other than a progression of steps - it really really needed a summary in it).

mikeck

Quote from: nelmsm on May 03, 2018, 05:16:21 PM
Picked up Wars of Succession and TOAW IV with my Matrix anniversary coupon so he giving those a look see plus playing CMANO until I either get it or get frustrated and play some Flashpoint Campaign plus a few PBEM files and enough yard work to make the wife smile.

Wars of Succession is a great game. That and Rise of Prussia are my 2 favorite AGEOD hames
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson