Strategic Command Classic competition

Started by Boggit, May 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millipede

June 4th seems best to give a fair chance to all.

ludi1867

June 4th is fine by me, as well as concurrent play!

Boggit

Fine. Start on the 4th, and let loose the Dogs of War!

Scoring for the competition is as follows:

Round 1
Weapons and Warfare - 1941-45 Battle for Russia
Victory = 3 points
Draw=2 points
Loss=1 point

Round 2
Patton Drives East - Stalin Drives West

Soviet Decisive Victory = 6 points
Soviet Major Victory = 5 points
Soviet Minor Victory = 4 points
Allied Major Victory = 5 points
Allied Minor Victory = 4 points
Draw = 2 points Soviet, 3 points Allied
Loss = 1 point

Round 3
Pacific Theater - 1944-45 Philippines

Japanese Major Victory = 5 points
Allied Major Victory = 5 points
Allied Minor Victory = 4 points
Draw = 2 points Allied, 3 Points Japanese
Loss 1 point

You will notice that on rounds 2 and 3 I have fudged the scoring a bit to reflect the fact that in Round 2 the Soviet can achieve a higher victory than the Allies, and in Round three the Allies can get a Minor victory (which the Japanese can't). To avoid the side with the potential benefit in scoring being advantaged without merit, I have compensated the other side with a better points gain for a draw, as a means of mitigating the differences.

Ideally you want to win all your games, so this weighting for a draw is an encouragement for the attacker to win, and preferably to get the best possible victory. For the defender, it means that getting a draw is a winning draw, but given that you are ultimately competing against everybody, you ideally want to win as good a victory as possible.

If someone has a better mousetrap, then now is the time to sing out.  ::)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

I had a very good point PM'd by Shelldrake... His question and my answer..

Quote from: Shelldrake on May 30, 2018, 02:14:13 PM
Are we expected to play rounds sequentially or concurrently? Just wondering about time commitment juggling.
Shell
It is entirely optional to suit. I mentioned concurrent play as a suggestion only, as it might be more convenient for players to have two or three games on at the same time.

Best,
Boggit

I realise that everyone has a different situation, so just contact your opponent and work out which method works best for you both. When all the games are complete and the scores are in, we can tot them up and announce the winner and his prize.

When you complete a game post your victory and score, and I'll update the rankings as we go to keep things interesting.

The rankings format at the start will look like this...

Round 1
Weapons and Warfare - 1941-45 Battle for Russia

Millipede (Axis) = 0
Nelmsm (Soviet) =0
Cyrano (Axis) = 0
Iudi1867 (Soviet) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Axis) = 0
Yskonyn (Soviet) = 0
Father Ted (Axis) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0
JasonPratt (Axis) = 0
Shelldrake (Soviet) = 0

Round 2
Patton Drives East - Stalin Drives West

Millipede (Soviet) = 0
Iudi1867 (Allies) = 0
Father Ted (Soviet) = 0
Shelldrake (Allies) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Soviet) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =0
JasonPratt (Soviet) = 0
Yskonyn (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Allies) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0

Round 3
Pacific Theater - 1944-45 Philippines

Ethel the Frog (Allies) = 0
Father Ted (Imperial Japan) = 0
Cyrano (Allies) = 0JasonPratt (Imperial Japan) = 0
Shelldrake (Allies) = 0
Iudi1867 (Imperial Japan) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =0
Yskonyn (Imperial Japan) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 0
Millipede (Imperial Japan) = 0

Overall Score

Millipede = 0
Nelmsm =0
Cyrano = 0
Iudi1867 = 0
Ethel the Frog = 0
Yskonyn = 0
Father Ted = 0
Anguille = 0
JasonPratt = 0
Shelldrake = 0

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Father Ted

Happy with my score - as  the old footie joke goes, "It was 4-0, and we were lucky to get 0".

Boggit

Quote from: Father Ted on May 31, 2018, 04:06:55 PM
Happy with my score - as  the old footie joke goes, "It was 4-0, and we were lucky to get 0".
Wait 'til the shooting starts! :2funny: >:D

JasonPratt

Vorwarts, Kamaradien! Nach Ost! {starts the Panzer Lied}

...or, uh, words to that effect. Overtime at work may be delaying my turns somewhat next week, we'll see. Excited to be gearing to go!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

How does pbem work? Do i really have to manually send saves of the game? Are we in 2018 or still 2008? Am i missing Something?

Thanks

JasonPratt

PBEM++ hasn't been implemented yet? I figured it would be when Matrix took over, so I haven't looked into it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Boggit

Quote from: Anguille on June 01, 2018, 04:29:21 PM
How does pbem work? Do i really have to manually send saves of the game? Are we in 2018 or still 2008? Am i missing Something?

Thanks
2008 I think. :2funny:

Save the game, send the file, or do whatever the game suggests. If in difficulty check with any of us, as I'm assuming none of us know how the pbem works until we play the game.

I'm sure that a man of your stalwart disposition and iron constitution will cope. ;)

Yskonyn

The manual refers to PBEM++ does it not?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 02, 2018, 01:50:33 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by PBEM++. I've seen the term before, but I don't know precisely what it means. I can say that the multiplayer game relies on an exchange of emails with the game file saved as game_name.sav . Is that the same as PBEM++?

Neither the generic manual linked to the Game Select menu dropdown, nor the game specific manuals located in the Steam Library/Steamapps/Common/Strategic Command Classic WWII/Manuals make use of the term PBEM++ directly. Moreover, none of the manuals are very helpful for indicating where exactly you can find your save file to email to your opponent.

After my initial surprise with Anguille's post that there was an issue with multiplayer I am now grateful to both you and Anguille (who gets an apology) for making a very relevant point, which I hope will now be made clear.

I had to explore this to find out wth is actually going on with multiplayer...

This is what you do...

1. Start Multiplayer game (first turn of new game), or in the event of second player onwards download filename.sav from your email into Libraries/Documents/My Games/Strategic Command WW2 Classic - [game title]/Multiplayer/Email/ folder
2. Start Multiplayer game (once first player, first turn has finished)
3. Put in your password
4. Load Multiplayer game
3. Play out turn
4. End turn - you then get to name the save and email it to your opponent from the Libraries/Documents/My Games/Strategic Command WW2 Classic - [game title]/Multiplayer/Email/filename.sav
5. Quit game

Strictly you can continue past the opportunity to go to email within the game, and email the save file later. For me the key thing was actually locating where the bloody save file actually was saved! So if in doubt:

The location for the upload and download of the game file is

Libraries/Documents/My Games/Strategic Command WW2 Classic - [game title]/Multiplayer/Email/filename.sav

I hope that resolves any issues?

I can fully understand why the multiplayer aspect might have thrown a few of you. It did me to start with.

Father Ted

JasonPratt

Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2018, 05:27:39 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by PBEM++. I've seen the term before, but I don't know precisely what it means.

It's a service for most Matrix/Slitherine games, where code within the game helps automate the sending, receiving, and operating of play-by-email games.

I recall the service being controversial for some reason (bugs?) when first implemented many years ago, but I had zero problems with my Decisive Campaigns games vs Barthheart over the past couple of years.

We were hoping that PBEM++ was being implemented into the code by Matrixlitherine, since they're clearly in the process of upgrading the game (somewhat) to modern standards, thus the beta code we're receiving (and testing).

Father Ted

It does, but it also says that you can't use it with the Steam version...