Cyber Attack on Iran: "You've been.......... THUNDERSTRUCK!"

Started by bayonetbrant, July 25, 2012, 05:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

No, not The Duffel Blog

http://www.geekosystem.com/iran-nuclear-facility-thunderstruck/


QuoteIranian Nuclear Facility Under Cyberattack, Computers Playing AC/DC's Thunderstruck at Night

Yesterday, the security research group F-Secure received a puzzling email claiming to be from a nuclear scientist with the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI). In it, the author claimed that the country's nuclear facilities were once again under attack. Only this time, the hackers brought Angus Young along for the ride.

F-Secure's Mikko Hypponen said that a strange new chapter in the ongoing strife over Iran's nuclear activities may be unfolding. He posted the following email which, although he cannot confirm the veracity of the claims, he does say came from within the AEOI. It reads:

QuoteI am writing you to inform you that our nuclear program has once again been compromised and attacked by a new worm with exploits which have shut down our automation network at Natanz and another facility Fordo near Qom.

According to the email our cyber experts sent to our teams, they believe a hacker tool Metasploit was used. The hackers had access to our VPN. The automation network and Siemens hardware were attacked and shut down. I only know very little about these cyber issues as I am scientist not a computer expert.

There was also some music playing randomly on several of the workstations during the middle of the night with the volume maxed out. I believe it was playing 'Thunderstruck' by AC/DC.

more at the link.

the only thing that makes this better is if they'd Rick-rolled the Iranian nuke program
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

I guess there is no question about which country sent this virus their way.   8)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Awesome.  I salute whoever worked on that program. 




Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 25, 2012, 07:43:00 AM
I guess there is no question about which country sent this virus their way.   8)
That, or it's a major case of misdirection! 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

That is frickin' great. I wish I was the one who hit 'send' on that one.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Now if the guy really wanted to put the ayatollahs into convulsions, he should show parades featuring the Shah of Iran (before the Revolution), and playing the national anthem from his time.
Thunderstruck is merely annoying to those bozos.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

0kult13

Thought thunderstruck was the favoured tune for psyops  ;D never thought i would see some of you guys cheering hackers  ::) good to see tho.

Gusington

^There's a big difference between taking out the Iranian nuclear program and trying to steal my Steam account info.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on July 26, 2012, 08:53:57 AM
^There's a big difference between taking out the Iranian nuclear program and trying to steal my Steam account info.

indeed, theres some serious ramifications for global peace if someone hacks into Gus' steam account

FWIW - i think its a great story, not only can we do this to you, but we can take the piss as well - we are watching you!!!!!!

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on July 26, 2012, 06:08:56 AM
Now if the guy really wanted to put the ayatollahs into convulsions, he should show parades featuring the Shah of Iran (before the Revolution), and playing the national anthem from his time.
Thunderstruck is merely annoying to those bozos.

Actually, in going through the lyrics there is a not-so-subtle message in there that I was amused to see. Let me pull them up...

Ah yes, in the first stanza:
QuoteI was caught In the middle of a railroad track (Thunder)
I looked round And I knew there was no turning back (Thunder)
My mind raced And I thought what could I do (Thunder)
And I knew There was no help, no help from you (Thunder)

"I knew there was no turning back...no help from you."

I'd say that tune was no accident. And is just the start.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MikeGER

Quote from: besilarius on July 26, 2012, 06:08:56 AM
Now if the guy really wanted to put the ayatollahs into convulsions, he should show parades featuring the Shah of Iran (before the Revolution), and playing the national anthem from his time.
Thunderstruck is merely annoying to those bozos.

i would opt for playing Hava Nagila not with the workstation speaker ...but with the up and down spinning hum of hundreds of centrifuges before switching their SPS Simatic-S7 to overvoltage finally  ;D

Centurion40

#12
Quote from: besilarius on July 26, 2012, 06:08:56 AM
Now if the guy really wanted to put the ayatollahs into convulsions, he should show parades featuring the Shah of Iran (before the Revolution), and playing the national anthem from his time.
Thunderstruck is merely annoying to those bozos.

One thing that I will say about the Shah, he was a snappy dresser.











And he let the women dress in contemporary fashion.

Any time is a good time for pie.

Barthheart


Steelgrave

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 26, 2012, 08:57:15 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 26, 2012, 08:53:57 AM
^There's a big difference between taking out the Iranian nuclear program and trying to steal my Steam account info.

indeed, theres some serious ramifications for global peace if someone hacks into Gus' steam account


Or his porn files......... 8)